Variable Geometry Nacelles

Voyager
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

This thread is locked until further notice. Please see the Rules and Anouncements subforum for further details.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The thread is now open for business again. Please let's not rehash the unpleasantness of before here.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

Okay, now, where did the theory come from that they were supposed to keep the fabric of space from ripping apart like in Force of Nature? Was this a fan thing? I can't find them, but I swear this comes up in a TV Guide somewhere.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

We know warp damages space and we know that the movement is new so it stands to reason that the reason. But as far as I know its not random.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Variable-geometry pylons were intended to correct the subspace damage spoken of in TNG: "Force of Nature". The concept of the variable-geometry pylons preventing damage to space was never explained, but was conceived and included as part of the premise for Star Trek: Voyager
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Variable-geometry pylons were intended to correct the subspace damage spoken of in TNG: "Force of Nature". The concept of the variable-geometry pylons preventing damage to space was never explained, but was conceived and included as part of the premise for Star Trek: Voyager
Right, but where did this come from? When did this information get out? I swear it was pretty early on.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Bryan Moore wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Right, but where did this come from? When did this information get out? I swear it was pretty early on.
I found it on Memory Alpha under their variable geometry pylon article.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Yeah I know it's floating around somewhere. I also remember reading this early on, possibly even before the series began. I just wish I knew where!
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Here are some opinions I found on the talk page
always thought that that the moving pylons allowed the Bussard collectors to be positioned where the saucer didn't impeded collection during sublight flight and that they allowed the nacelles to be placed for proper warp field creation for the Intrepid-class shape. But never have heard that mentioned. Then again, I haven't heard the prevention of subspace damage theory mentioned either; I must have missed it somehow
I just watched Force of Nature, which references a USS Intrepid (which presumably would have to be the Intrepid-class USS Intrepid, though could possibly be a completely different ship), and is the episode that introduces the warp-speed limit. If VGP is a response to this problem then VGP would have to only be implemented on later vessles of this class (like Voyager), or possibly as an upgrade
Note: VGP is Variable Geometry Pylons, since it's actually they pylon that moves, not the nacelle.

I found the last quote interesting. The Intrepid may have actually existed before the subspace damage thing started. Maybe Voyager is a sub-class or something.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

some more background info on "Force of Nature"
The production staff were generally disappointed with this episode. Jeri Taylor and writer Naren Shankar noted the difficulty of dramatizing environmental problems, and the danger of oversimplifying the issues. Shankar described the resulting episode as "not one of my finer moments". (ST:TNG Companion)

Deanna Troi only has a single line of dialogue in this episode