Are the Romulans weak?

Deep Space Nine
lcpl seilicki
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Re: Are the Romulans weak?

Post by lcpl seilicki »

Does anyone know it the RSE uses M/AM for the warhead of their torpedoes or weaponize version of their quantum singularity drive. Could you imagine miniature blackholes detinating on your shields or hull.
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

No idea, so far the only definitive weapon we know they use are plasma torpedoes (BoT in TOS, and the episode when they set up a hospital on Derna, Bajor system). When you see them during the Battle of the Omarian Nebula, they LOOK like standard photon (therefore M/AM) torpedo weapons but looks are of course deceiving.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

lcpl seilicki wrote:I seem to remember a TNG episode with the E-D and a DD caught in some kind of multiple time thing because a creature had put its offspring in the DD quantum singularity drive and Geordie saying that it was x times more powerful than the warp core on the E-D. and taken with the technology exchanges that go on during wartime. It seems to me that the RSE would start to upfit their ships ASAP. Granted to only tech exchange we see in canon is the cloaking devices used on the defiant, but it stands to reason there would be more given that the AQ is fighting for its existence.
It could have been more powerful, but most of that power was being used keeping it from exploding/affecting the ship.

Now where a singularity is useful comes from fuel supplies. You can shove anything inside the singularity, and get out energy.

The likely problem is trying to shove too much into the singularity, with the extra energy produced causing a flare effect, slowing down replacement material. Similarly, shutting off the material flow will allow the singularity to absorb what is still left around it before settling down. So ramping up and down the power will take longer, but the Romulans get better endurance out of it. This fits their cloaked strike ability. They can ramp up power while under cloak, and when they are about to be revealed, they drop the cloak and engage. When heading away, they drop the power, the extra is channeled into the cloak, and they leave. If they need fuel, they grab any handy asteroid, powder it finely, and load it into the fuel tanks.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
lcpl seilicki
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by lcpl seilicki »

I thought Nero's ship was the only one that was able to fire while cloaked.

EDIT sorry I meant the ship from NEM
Last edited by lcpl seilicki on Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

lcpl seilicki wrote:I thought Nero's ship was the only one that was able to fire while cloaked
Shinzon, not Nero, and I haven't seen any post in this thread where people have been discussing cloaked fire.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Reliant121 wrote:No idea, so far the only definitive weapon we know they use are plasma torpedoes (BoT in TOS, and the episode when they set up a hospital on Derna, Bajor system). When you see them during the Battle of the Omarian Nebula, they LOOK like standard photon (therefore M/AM) torpedo weapons but looks are of course deceiving.
The Cardassian ODP's are also mentioned to use plasma torpedoes, but they ended up looking just like PTs as well.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
lcpl seilicki
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by lcpl seilicki »

I took Coalition's coment about cloaked strike ability to encompass weapon use
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

lcpl seilicki wrote:I took Coalition's coment about cloaked strike ability to encompass weapon use
Huh?
Coalition wrote:They can ramp up power while under cloak, and when they are about to be revealed, they drop the cloak and engage. When heading away, they drop the power, the extra is channeled into the cloak, and they leave.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
lcpl seilicki
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by lcpl seilicki »

Coalition wrote: This fits their cloaked strike ability.
is what I was refering to, although now it seems I took it out of context
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

lcpl seilicki wrote:does anyone remember a DD being destroyed during the DW. It seems to me that would be a large signifier (spelling?) of how strong or weak the RSE is
Actually to the best of my knowledge the Romulan ships never really had a up close and personal space battle in the DW. The best they got was in The Die Is Cast. We do know from visual evidence that there have been a few destroyed.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

What about both of e chintoka battles as well as the battle for cardassian at the end.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:What about both of e chintoka battles as well as the battle for cardassian at the end.
They barely got a mention once things kicked off. The Romulans have always got a pretty bum deal in Trek when it comes to battles - the only decent one they've been seriously involved in was "Balance of Terror". There were a few skirmishes during TNG, the Omarian Nebula was largely depicted as a Cardassian affair (despite being aboard a warbird), and their involvement in the major actions of the Dominion War was mostly restricted to pre battle planning.

And then there was Nemesis. :(
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Don't even mention nemesis, that film was an abomination.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:Don't even mention nemesis, that film was an abomination.
It did, however, happen. I know the feeling - I was looking forwards to the Romulans finally getting a proper role in a film, and what did we get? A human and a bunch of Orcs. :(

XI wasn't much better on that score, given that it was focussed on introducing the "new" TOS crew, and didn't deal with the Empire proper.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:What about both of e chintoka battles as well as the battle for cardassian at the end.
They barely got a mention once things kicked off. The Romulans have always got a pretty bum deal in Trek when it comes to battles - the only decent one they've been seriously involved in was "Balance of Terror". There were a few skirmishes during TNG, the Omarian Nebula was largely depicted as a Cardassian affair (despite being aboard a warbird), and their involvement in the major actions of the Dominion War was mostly restricted to pre battle planning.

And then there was Nemesis. :(
This is definitely true.

The second battle of Chintoka we saw a couple of destroyed D'deridex ships. But that is about it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"