musings on the most famous of grudges

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Have we ever seen any Bajoran ground troops?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yes, seasons 1 and 2 they came up on ds9 pretty often.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That just shows how long its been since I saw that show...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The problem with the Bajorans is that they're strictly light infantry (like ever other gound force we've ever seen :roll:). Their advatantage is that unlike all other AQ powers, the Bajoran armed forces have institutional (and in many cases personal) experience in fighting a superior enemy. The Federation virtually rejects the possibility of ground combat. The Klingons are experienced in war, but their focus on "honourable" individual combat reders them incapable of fighting a modern war. The Romulans are isolationist. Only the Cardassians and the Bajorans have recent, institutionalised experience in real warfare, and given the Cadies superiority complex and the fact that they were ultimately forced to withdraw I'd say the Bajorans are better.
Last edited by Captain Seafort on Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good point.
The lack of ground forces in Trek really is frustrating.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It doesn't bother me that much. Up until the Dominion war there was ne need for one really. Security could handle most of what came up.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

What is comes to is that starfleet go lazy and now they paid a price for it.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It seems that the moment there is no immenent danger of combat they drop everything close to a competant military...
It doesn't bother me that much. Up until the Dominion war there was ne need for one really. Security could handle most of what came up.
And how is security going to stop an invasion force? Again, Starfleet is relying on knowing when the enemy is going to attack. That dosen't happen in reality, ergo, this tactic is idiotic.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

What invasion force? ONCE in the history of the Federation has there been an invasion.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yes, because naturaly all those wars would be fought without ever once landing on a planet.
Oh, wait...

And I'll point out; not once in the history of the Republic of Ireland have we ever been attacked, let alone invaded. Should we disband our military?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I live in New Zealand and we HAVE pretty much disbaned our army. We have no Air Force strike team, just a bunch of cargo planes. We have no Military Navy just a bunch of Cargo type vessels and our armys amin training is centered around civil defence.

Starfleet responds to the threat level. If they had producd bigger more powerful ships then so would the other powers and so on until we go bankrupt due to an arms race we don't need.

The Federations lack of a Ground army seesm to have very little disadvantage up until the Dominion war and even then it wasnt that bad.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Is New Zealand surrounded by countries that would like nothing better than to invade them? No. The Federation is.
Starfleet responds to the threat level. If they had producd bigger more powerful ships then so would the other powers and so on until we go bankrupt due to an arms race we don't need.
You can build up an army without starting an arms race. Waiting until you are already under attack to raise a military force dosen't strike you as stupid?
The Federations lack of a Ground army seesm to have very little disadvantage up until the Dominion war and even then it wasnt that bad.
Merely because the Federation's enemies are only slightly more competant than them. If there was one inteligent race in the whole galaxy, the Federation would be in serious trouble.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

How are our enemies more competent? The Federation has won EVERY Major war its been in.

It doesnt have no military. The Galaxy class while having its faults (Lets not get into them again) was able to stand up to all the major powers main ships and win the majority of the time.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

How are our enemies more competent? The Federation has won EVERY Major war its been in.
Through technological advancement or alliances with other races or by threatning the agresors with xenocide if they didn't back off.
Not through inteligence.
It doesnt have no military.
Um, do you mean it dosen't have a military? Or that it does?
The Galaxy class while having its faults (Lets not get into them again) was able to stand up to all the major powers main ships and win the majority of the time.
And if technology was utilised inteligently, the ship would be almost invicible. Yet its not, and Starfleet takes needless losses and casualties due to this.
Ergo, Starfleet are idiots.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Idiot is a subjective word. If everyone around you is of the same intellegence you are not an idiot you are normal.

The Romulan Flag ship is ruffly the same size as the Galaxy yet it is no more powerful. The Klingons ships change strength so many times its hard to judge but they are usually not great either.

When I think of startrek I trey to keep my thoughts in their universe. It is pointless to judge them against us. Judge them against their enemies. Then you see that they are far from useless.