Just how did Voyager come up with the extra torps?

Voyager
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Just how did Voyager come up with the extra torps?

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
Blackstar the Chakat wrote:Oh, I should mention that not all the Akulas are still in service. Of the seven original Akula-I submarines, only three are known to still be in service, the five improved Akulas are all thought to be in service, and the Akula-II Vepr is the only Akula-II known to be in service at present
I saw something a while back about a major upgrade to the remaining "Typhoons", but I haven't heard anything since. Heard anything?
The only 'upgrade' I've heard about is the TK-208 aka the RFS Dmitriy Donskoy's 20 R-39 missiles being replaced with the most advanced Russian submarine-launched ballistic missile to date, the Bulava. Although she was built as a third generation submarine, she is now referred to as a fourth generation one due to her extensive modifications. The other serviceable hulls may be modernized at some point in the future but that is not certain at this point however they are more likely to be replaced by the new Borei class submarines, the first of which was commissioned in February of this year. It should be noted that as of July 2008 no Bulava missile have been produced for the Yury Dolgoruky, the first ship of the Borei class.
Yeah, it looks like they're going with the new class rather than spend the money to significantly upgrade the Akulas.

I wonder if you can still smoke on Russian subs? :?:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I doubt it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:I doubt it.
Well, they can count me out, then. :P
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
SteveK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SteveK »

Rochey wrote:That just happened to have Federation-standard equipment that could interface perfectly with a ship when the crew can't get one part of the ship (holodeck power source) working with the rest? Pretty big if.
Perhaps they gave the specifications for the torps to an alien manufacturing facility. Given a schematic and maybe even an actual torp to work off of I don't think it'd be too hard to a factory of sufficient technological sophistication to make them.

Of course, they may end up improving the weapons technology of some random DQ race a few decades, and would give also give them a pretty accurate picture of Voyager's offensive capabilities.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Welcome, Steve!

That might actually be a workable theory - depends on whether Janeway decided to follow the PD that day. :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's a possibility.

Welcome to the site, BTW. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SteveK wrote:Perhaps they gave the specifications for the torps to an alien manufacturing facility. Given a schematic and maybe even an actual torp to work off of I don't think it'd be too hard to a factory of sufficient technological sophistication to make them.

Of course, they may end up improving the weapons technology of some random DQ race a few decades, and would give also give them a pretty accurate picture of Voyager's offensive capabilities.
It would probably be possible, given the schematics, a working model, and a few of Tuvok's engineers to ask questions of. It would also, for the reasons you point out, be pretty damn stupid to give an unknown alien race access to classified information, as the details of PTs almost certainly are. However, this is Janeway we're talking about.

Welcome to DITL. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It might be possible for them to give them the designs for different bits of the torpedo but not all of it then assemble the torpedoes themselves. Kinda messy way to do it but it prevents other getting the full designs.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

They may have given their designs to manufactuers who already have torpedo weapons on par with federation photon torpedoes. Many encounters seemed to be with those with weapons technology comparable to Voyager's abilities.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:It might be possible for them to give them the designs for different bits of the torpedo but not all of it then assemble the torpedoes themselves. Kinda messy way to do it but it prevents other getting the full designs.
The Captain Nemo approach eh? Very apt.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:They may have given their designs to manufactuers who already have torpedo weapons on par with federation photon torpedoes. Many encounters seemed to be with those with weapons technology comparable to Voyager's abilities.
That would get past any issue of boosting a species' weapons technology, but you'd still have the problem of giving another the specific details of Federation technology. It took months to persuade the US to allow the RAF access to the F-35's software, and that's between two countries that have been extremely close allies for decades.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Dammit i missed the submarine talk. grrrr.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Reliant121 wrote:Dammit i missed the submarine talk. grrrr.
I take it you like talking about long hard tubes full of seamen? :D
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

:roll:
why could i see that coming.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Reliant121 wrote::roll:
why could i see that coming.
Well it could be because it's the most common sex-related joke ever about submarines