What have ships done without warp cores?

Voyager
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

In that case, we're back to the Federation flagship running out of phaser power for no apparent reason after a couple of minutes of fighting.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Tsukiyumi wrote:In that case, we're back to the Federation flagship running out of phaser power for no apparent reason after a couple of minutes of fighting.
In fairness it was having to blind fire phasers in all kinds of random directions simultaneously to even maintain a click on where the enemy ship was. Certainly it was wasting a lot of phaser energy just to keep track of the Scimitar, and expending energy far faster than it would need to in a typical fight. And shields collapsed in several vectors more than once, and had to be reinforced.

The fight was a real power hog.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Personally, if I were blind firing just to locate a cloaked ship, I'd have the power turned way down. An impact is an impact; it still shows you where to fire torpedoes.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Personnally I'm not a great fan of the tactic - unless the target is almost literally sitting on your ship (as the Scimita was) you'd be better off trying to detect it in some other way, as the E-A did at Khitomer.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Or run away.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Or run away.
Which, of course, is why it's such a common occurrence to have the warp drive fail without much of anything else seeming to be affected.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Writers ex machina?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

They still could've turned around, cleared the nebula and called for help.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Since they never stated how long it would take them to clear the nebula at impulse, we can only speculate on whether that option was viable while being fired upon. Some nebulae take months/years to cross even at warp.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Nah. Too much common sense and too little movie machismo involved.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Duskofdead wrote:Since they never stated how long it would take them to clear the nebula at impulse, we can only speculate on whether that option was viable while being fired upon. Some nebulae take months/years to cross even at warp.
At least if you're running away, you narrow the enemy's possible approach vectors. They'd sort of have to come in from the rear hemisphere...

They'd only just entered the rift when the Scimitar opened fire, so I don't think it would've taken that long to turn around and cruise back out.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Stop trying to apply common sense to 'Trek tactical decisions, people! That way madness lies...
as Bull offed Custer
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Duskofdead wrote:Since they never stated how long it would take them to clear the nebula at impulse, we can only speculate on whether that option was viable while being fired upon. Some nebulae take months/years to cross even at warp.
At least if you're running away, you narrow the enemy's possible approach vectors. They'd sort of have to come in from the rear hemisphere...

They'd only just entered the rift when the Scimitar opened fire, so I don't think it would've taken that long to turn around and cruise back out.
Scimitar had warp drive though, the Enterprise-E didn't. And even if they'd only been in the nebula for a minute or so, going at the Enterprise-E's top speed could have been a distance that would take hours/days at impulse.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Duskofdead wrote:Scimitar had warp drive though, the Enterprise-E didn't. And even if they'd only been in the nebula for a minute or so, going at the Enterprise-E's top speed could have been a distance that would take hours/days at impulse.
True. Of course, going into the rift to begin with wasn't the brightest move ever...
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Duskofdead wrote:Scimitar had warp drive though, the Enterprise-E didn't. And even if they'd only been in the nebula for a minute or so, going at the Enterprise-E's top speed could have been a distance that would take hours/days at impulse.
True. Of course, going into the rift to begin with wasn't the brightest move ever...
NOW you're onto the real mistake they made, haha. I was reserving that criticism but yes, no matter how much of a hurry they were in, they shouldn't have flown into something that would cut off all contact with the outisde.