Size of the Dominion

Deep Space Nine
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

well do we know for sure, that founders cannot be assimilate due to their physiology or is this conjecture?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Captain Peabody wrote:
People said the borg can not assimilate a founder... is that known for sure? That would seem to be a MAJOR biological distinction to add to the collective.
I don't see how they could. The Borg nanoprobes rely on cells to attach themselves to, and DNA to rewrite, to do their job, and Founders have neither. But I can definitely see the Borg being very interested in the Dominion; not only for the Dominion's technology (which seems to be quite nice), but also for the Founders themselves, which would represent a major, major jump ahead in evolution for the Borg... And the Founders would definitely not take this lightly. So, really, it's only a matter of time before the Dominion and Borg start duking it out for control of the Galaxy.... :P
Sorry, I am just showing my ignorance to the specifics of the ST universe... but if they do not have cells or DNA, how did the founders catch a virus?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

agreed
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Sorry, I am just showing my ignorance to the specifics of the ST universe... but if they do not have cells or DNA, how did the founders catch a virus?
Well....uh....see, it...

Hmm. :?

You got me there... :oops:
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Captain Peabody wrote:
Well....uh....see, it...

Hmm. :?

You got me there... :oops:
Please note that I was not being a JO there, it was a real question. I figured that maybe it was explained in an episode and I just do not remember.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

founders will have dna etc, they may have mimicing properties more profound than the lyre bird, but they still are living,breathing beings, i'd love a game where the dominion head off against the borg....it'd be like the kursk salient, except with spaceships
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

Well, its a biological morphogenic material, so i would imagine it could still be susceptible to virii
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The borg would win against the Dominion, hands down.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

still...........think of the waves of jem'hadar ships, the armadas and flotillas............victory is life
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Even so, they would need to build at 8X's the rate of the Alpha quadrant war to have an 'Equal' ship count. I just don't see that happening.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

founders will have dna etc, they may have mimicing properties more profound than the lyre bird, but they still are living,breathing beings, i'd love a game where the dominion head off against the borg....it'd be like the kursk salient, except with spaceships
Actually, Founders clearly don't breathe...

Really, the question of how the virus affected the Founders is a very interesting one....I'm pretty sure they don't have a conventional cell structure (correct me if I'm wrong on this), as they are able to mimic other life-forms down to the cellular level...or at least their cells can change to mimic other species...and even things without cells altogether.

Anyone have any ideas? :?

Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

sorry peabody, my bad, i assumed that being an organism that they would respire somehow or utilise some sort of gaseous exchange like active diffusion etc perhaps using sulpher in lieu of oxygen like certain organisms today, even if not in the conventional sense
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

The borg would win against the Dominion, hands down.
I'm not so sure; the Dominion seems to be a much more flexible group than the Borg, and they also have the ability to produce troops much, much faster. They've also shown the ability to create feats of engineering at Borg-scale or larger (the conjectural Dreadnought from What You Leave Behind). At any rate, it would be quite a contest; just imagine, Female Changeling versus Borg Queen. Quite epic, methinks... :P
Even so, they would need to build at 8X's the rate of the Alpha quadrant war to have an 'Equal' ship count. I just don't see that happening.
Well, the Alpha Quadrant war was carried out by a group of Dominion troops totally cut off from their manufacturing base, and reliant upon Cardassian facilities and supplies. If they had had access to the wormhole, they would have overwhelmed the Federation in weeks....We've never really seen the full might of the Dominion on display.

sorry peabody, my bad, i assumed that being an organism that they would respire somehow or utilise some sort of gaseous exchange like active diffusion etc perhaps using sulpher in lieu of oxygen like certain organisms today, even if not in the conventional sense
Well, for all we know about the Founders, that could be true. Though I doubt it.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I'd say it's highly unlikely that Founders have a typical celular structure, given that that they can operate both in a human-inhabitable atmosphere (ref: every episode of DS9) and in interstellar space (ref:"Chimera"). They can also morph into gases (again:"Chimera") - impossible for any cellular lifeform.

As for a Borg vs Dominion fight I'd bet on the Dominion. Their weapons initially passed through Fed shields without resistance, so it's possible the Borg would have more trouble than usual. They also have an impressive GQ industrial base, and their soldiers are not only armed for something other than a melee but also demonstrate tactical competence (most of the time).
Last edited by Captain Seafort on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

true but they still could contain dna, and some sort of biochemistry that could be susceptible to the borg