DS9 and Money

Deep Space Nine
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: DS9 and Money

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Well, we know the federation seems to control ever aspect of something like that. The Federation Council on Exobiology probably controls all aspects of exobiology research, which is what the Hansens were doing.
That's exactly my point. Why should a government department control all aspects of research? It's a characteristic of communism, which also has as fundamental characteristic the removal of the concept of privately owned property - the basis of capitalism, and without which money is meaningless.
And, since it is possible that civilians can own their ship (i believe it's been stated --and then never debated --that Kassidy Yates owns her ship)
As far as I'm aware, she was working for so unseen alien race, and no more owns the Xhosa than Picard owns the E-D.
If you're looking for something which may or may not exist wouldn't you need some more powerful sensors? Or at least more powerful than what civilians can easily get their hands on?
Why? They were looking for the Borg, who aren't exactly the most subtle of species. They simply flew around until a cube showed up.
You also need someone to inform authorities of what you're doing so you don't get in trouble with local authorities for flying around or asking impertinent questions.
Why? Being nosy isn't a crime, at least not round here.
It would be nice to have access to any gov't records on the subject as well, which the Fed Council would probably control access to. Note: I am not saying there were not publicly accessible records or that the Federation/Starfleet had any records on the Borg, but if they did they were probably classified out the wazoo, so they would need permission from a gov't agency to find out even if there were any records.
The impression I got was that they'd already done all their background research - they just needed permission to go Borg-hunting.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Mark wrote:Cassidy Yates owned her freighter

Ahem :wave:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Ahem, yourself.
Mikey wrote:re: Kassidy's ship - she operated outside the auspices of the UFP. It's a fair bet she bought the ship in the same manner.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But the question I posed nevertheless stands. If humans don't have money because everything they need is provided for them, then why would she have HAD to go outside the Federation to buy her own ship. Theoretically, she could have just asked for one, and the folks on Earth SHOULD have smilingly built her one.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Ahem, both of you.
Captain Seafort wrote:As far as I'm aware, she was working for some unseen alien race, and no more owns the Xhosa than Picard owns the E-D.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:Ahem, both of you.
Captain Seafort wrote:As far as I'm aware, she was working for some unseen alien race, and no more owns the Xhosa than Picard owns the E-D.
Certainly possible, but we don't need to deny Yates' ownership of the Xhosa to make it fit. Picard's statements certainly strongly imply that he is referring to the citizenry of the UFP as not using money - not every human in existence. As Yates operates outside the UFP, there is no reason to believe that Picard's statements apply to her. In fact, it would beggar belief to think that she operated in an environment that used money and she somehow didn't.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But now we come to the why. Unless she's like Vash and profit isn't as alien a concept to her like it is most others. But what I don't understand is if I had everything I ever needed or wanted provided for me, why the hell would I leave that to schlep around the galaxy in a frieghter working for other people and likely end up with less than if i'd never left?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:But now we come to the why. Unless she's like Vash and profit isn't as alien a concept to her like it is most others.
Given her job, I think we can take that for granted.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, if she works outside the UFP then there's no real conflict. I'm sure one could buy a ship like that from a Ferengi somewhere.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:But now we come to the why. Unless she's like Vash and profit isn't as alien a concept to her like it is most others. But what I don't understand is if I had everything I ever needed or wanted provided for me, why the hell would I leave that to schlep around the galaxy in a frieghter working for other people and likely end up with less than if i'd never left?
She was a Maquis sympathizer. Given that her political bent would lead her to live outside the Federation, she'd need a job.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. Supplies for a ship don't come cheap, I'd imagine.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"