Ship of the week: Breen frigate

Deep Space Nine
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yeah I know that I was just pointing out that organic does not mean crap.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

And yet they were unable to defend against the nanobot bomb, which if they had even a 1/2 inch of sheet metal on their hull they would have been immune to it.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Also 8472 is from a different dimension so their organic compounds may not obey the same laws of physics.
Still though, they do have extremely strong ships but that's not to say a technologically advance race couldn't make better metal ones.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

We can't assume that a species which uses organic technology would use the same sort of materials that we currently have here on Earth in RL. The organic ship technology we have seen - 8472 ships, Xyrillians, whatever components of Breen ships are in fact organic - are patently able to do things which are beyond the ken of our modern organic knowledge... such as withstand the rigors of FTL space flight. It may or may not be more advanced than "contemporary" traditional 'Treknology - but it sure as hell ain't the same.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Monroe wrote:Also 8472 is from a different dimension so their organic compounds may not obey the same laws of physics.
Still though, they do have extremely strong ships but that's not to say a technologically advance race couldn't make better metal ones.
If they obeyed different laws of physics they wouldn't have been able operate in our universe, nor Voyager in theirs. Therefore the laws of physics must be exactly the same in both universes.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Teaos wrote:8472 have the most advanced ships we have seen able to with stand powerful fire power. Thus it would seem organic is better than metal.
Fluidic space.

These guys aren't the best yard stick to judge things by.
Yeah I know that I was just pointing out that organic does not mean crap.
On its own? Nope.
In comparison to conventional craft? Yes, it does.
Mikey wrote:. The organic ship technology we have seen - 8472 ships, Xyrillians, whatever components of Breen ships are in fact organic - are patently able to do things which are beyond the ken of our modern organic knowledge... such as withstand the rigors of FTL space flight.
All of which have been done, in some cases better, by conventional craft.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:All of which have been done, in some cases better, by conventional craft.
OK... but why bother to bring this up? Nobody was debating whether or not "conventional" construction could produce a decent spacecraft. My point remains valid, then, that because of the onscreen evidence which I had cited, it is true that 'Treknolgy in regard to organic construction is beyond any modern RL examples which have been used - and has in 'Trek produced viable spacecraft.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

My apologies. I thought we were debating which type of ship was better.
Sorry.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Rochey wrote:My apologies. I thought we were debating which type of ship was better.
Sorry.
Surely this is signature material?

:wink:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What? It's not unheard of for me to make a mistake. :?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Don't apologize - maybe we were, and I'm the one out of the loop. If so, you're absolutely right. In every strategic example we've seen, the side with "conventional" ships has beaten the side with organic construction. There are plenty of "who knows" and "I don't think it would haves" but what was onscreen is unalterable.

I was merely trying to show that using examples from "our" Earth as far as organic materials may not really be applicable.
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Rochey wrote:What? It's not unheard of for me to make a mistake. :?
Definitely signature material! :wink:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I was merely trying to show that using examples from "our" Earth as far as organic materials may not really be applicable.
True. An organic creature that can exist in vacuum already defies a few terrestrial laws as it is.
Definitely signature material!
Er, whatever...
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Try not to take things too seriously...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I don't. I was just unsure what the hell was going on! :lol: