Borg Retaliation

The Next Generation
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Borg Retaliation

Post by Deepcrush »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Considering what they did ti the MDP ships in BOBW II, I think ICBMs would be well within their spee range to shoot down. And Seven's demonstrated that they can revive dead bodies... do drones even need to be alive to be assimilated?
Yeah, three probes vs the thousands of ICBMs we have today. Somehow I see things working out differently. :poke:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Deepcrush wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Considering what they did ti the MDP ships in BOBW II, I think ICBMs would be well within their spee range to shoot down. And Seven's demonstrated that they can revive dead bodies... do drones even need to be alive to be assimilated?
Yeah, three probes vs the thousands of ICBMs we have today. Somehow I see things working out differently. :poke:
That "defense perimeter" was seriously weak indeed. I don't know if the Borg needed to shoot at them rather than let the force of their laughter blow them up (or simply ignore them and blow right past)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Deepcrush wrote:
Thousands of ICBMs that would be snails compared to what speeds would be in the 24th century. I think the Borg might have time to react... if those nukes would do anything to even their hull.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Thousands of ICBMs that would be snails compared to what speeds would be in the 24th century. I think the Borg might have time to react... if those nukes would do anything to even their hull.
Maybe, but thousands are still thousands. Also, if the Borg want to start eating up a planet they have to get into orbit. Which means that they will have to deal with thousands of warheads in just the course of a few minutes.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Thousands of ICBMs that would be snails compared to what speeds would be in the 24th century. I think the Borg might have time to react... if those nukes would do anything to even their hull.
Maybe, but thousands are still thousands. Also, if the Borg want to start eating up a planet they have to get into orbit. Which means that they will have to deal with thousands of warheads in just the course of a few minutes.
They can launch that quickly? Legit did not know that.

EDIT:

Although if the Borg are in orbit and somehow couldn't defeat rockets on the level of a Model T to them, breaking orbit and letting them expire is an option. Not to mention their tractor beams, disruptors, heavy shields capable of taking photon torpedoes with little trouble...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Although if the Borg are in orbit and somehow couldn't defeat rockets on the level of a Model T to them, breaking orbit and letting them expire is an option.
True, then they'd have to keep backing away though. Back and forth, back and forth might get boring after a while.
Not to mention their tractor beams, disruptors, heavy shields capable of taking photon torpedoes with little trouble...
PTs are more then able to do hurt and they aren't packing warheads in the Megaton range. Their disruptors can't be in a thousand places at once. And their shields have been shown not stopping solid objects, such as shuttles or an 8472 craft.

IMO, no one nuke would ever make it through, though when counted in the dozens or hundreds or thousands... that would be a problem for any Borg ship in orbit.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

True, then they'd have to keep backing away though. Back and forth, back and forth might get boring after a while.
Umm... once the missiles are launched, wouldn't that be it? One shot for them, pretty much.
PTs are more then able to do hurt and they aren't packing warheads in the Megaton range. Their disruptors can't be in a thousand places at once. And their shields have been shown not stopping solid objects, such as shuttles or an 8472 craft.

IMO, no one nuke would ever make it through, though when counted in the dozens or hundreds or thousands... that would be a problem for any Borg ship in orbit.
The Borg adapted to PTs in pretty much their debut episode. Towards the end, the E-D launched three at the cube... and they did nothing. I mean literally nothing to the cube.

Their disruptors, no, but those tractor beams have a pretty wide field of fire. A nuke from the Earth/Romulan Wars exploded only a hundred meters or so from the E-nil in 'Balance of Terror' and did little damage to the ship. I'm not even sure she had her shields up at the time. Nuclear weapons have been described as 'primitive' in ST for the most part. Yes, a large number will be a problem, but to a cube, not that big of a problem.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Umm... once the missiles are launched, wouldn't that be it? One shot for them, pretty much.
Do you really think that everyone is going to launch everything all at once???
The Borg adapted to PTs in pretty much their debut episode. Towards the end, the E-D launched three at the cube... and they did nothing. I mean literally nothing to the cube.
And all of those PTs combined wouldn't match the power of a single nuke. Plus, in First Contact we've seen that enough fire power can overwhelm the Borg Shields. Its just a matter of if the the warheads can strike enough times within the needed time period.
Their disruptors, no, but those tractor beams have a pretty wide field of fire. A nuke from the Earth/Romulan Wars exploded only a hundred meters or so from the E-nil in 'Balance of Terror' and did little damage to the ship. I'm not even sure she had her shields up at the time. Nuclear weapons have been described as 'primitive' in ST for the most part. Yes, a large number will be a problem, but to a cube, not that big of a problem.
A nuke going of in the black of space isn't really worth much. Take that same nuke and set it off inside the hull, like as if your nuke went off after impact instead of on or prior.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Do you really think that everyone is going to launch everything all at once???
Yes, people are stupid and panicky. They see giant unfriendly cube with the message the Borg transmit, they would fire everything they had as fast as possible.

And all the Borg would have to do is sweep their beams across the field in front of them and there goes the majority of the nukes. Add that to their torps and other weapons... I'm sure that no more than a small handful could get through.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'd think the organic component of a Borg drone needs to be alive. Otherwise, it isn't much use at carrying on the processes which make organic component necessary in the first place.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

What nukes, what rockets??? i said WWI tech level. Anyway lets say late XX century tech level.
You are implying the borg can assimilate UFP but not todays Earth.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SomosFuga wrote:You are implying the borg can assimilate UFP but not todays Earth.
That's because, on the ground (which is where the Borg would need to go if they wanted to assimilate a civilisation instead of merely obliterate it) any modern army would have a the Feds for breakfast.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:
SomosFuga wrote:You are implying the borg can assimilate UFP but not todays Earth.
That's because, on the ground (which is where the Borg would need to go if they wanted to assimilate a civilisation instead of merely obliterate it) any modern army would have a the Feds for breakfast.
Until the \Borg start tractoring cities up to their ship/s or beaming drones straight into office buildings. And heaven help us if/when they connect to our computers.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Until the \Borg start tractoring cities up to their ship/s
Whereupon they'd loose all their potential drones - no point in having a bunch of corpses.
beaming drones straight into office buildings.
Which will cause problems, until the tactics and technology are identified and troops/armed police are more widely deployed.
And heaven help us if/when they connect to our computers.
Heaven help them, you mean. You did watch BoBW didn't you? That's what happens when a hacker gets into a Borg computer.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Until the \Borg start tractoring cities up to their ship/s
Whereupon they'd loose all their potential drones - no point in having a bunch of corpses.
beaming drones straight into office buildings.
Which will cause problems, until the tactics and technology are identified and troops/armed police are more widely deployed.
And heaven help us if/when they connect to our computers.
Heaven help them, you mean. You did watch BoBW didn't you? That's what happens when a hacker gets into a Borg computer.
I'm not convinced the humanoid has to be aliveto be assimilated. Witness Seven's resurrection of Neelix, for example.

Sorry, should've expanded. Drones into office buildings, military bases, subways... all over the globe. Armored drones who we can't beat in hand to hand... and want to come into range with those tubules.

And come in, Seafort! It was a hell of a lot more than just plugging in. They were aboard the fleet flagship, with a Soong-type android. And he found that weakness a split-second before the E-D was destroyed. Are we gona be able to hack into a drone... or even know what to look for?

Apes around the monolith.