Visuals vs dialogue

Deep Space Nine
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Visuals vs dialogue

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Deepcrush wrote:Well again when it comes to Data - what was the intent of it? Was it a writer or actor or screen test mistake?
With Data the intent changed. They originally didn't care about contractions, but in Datalore they decided it was a subtle way of making Data a bit less Human, so they introduced the rule. He's flubbed since then, most likely when the writer or Brent forgot and nobody caught it.

It's pretty clear, though, that Data isn't supposed to be able to use contractions. They not only avoid it most times, but as I said earlier they have made it a significant plot point in at least three episodes.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm not even debating that point, and in general I'm inclined to agree with you, GK - we know that Data can't use contractions. The fact of the matter is that he did, even if he didn't or can't; now, how do we have common ground to discuss the issue if I heard it happen, and you say it didn't happen because it couldn't happen?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

With Data the intent changed. They originally didn't care about contractions, but in Datalore they decided it was a subtle way of making Data a bit less Human, so they introduced the rule. He's flubbed since then, most likely when the writer or Brent forgot and nobody caught it.

It's pretty clear, though, that Data isn't supposed to be able to use contractions. They not only avoid it most times, but as I said earlier they have made it a significant plot point in at least three episodes.
Then it was an OOU mistake that was part of recon which caused a bit of trouble.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:I'm not even debating that point, and in general I'm inclined to agree with you, GK - we know that Data can't use contractions. The fact of the matter is that he did, even if he didn't or can't; now, how do we have common ground to discuss the issue if I heard it happen, and you say it didn't happen because it couldn't happen?
Well since you agree that he can't, we simply say "when he did it was just a mistake, so we'll agree that it doesn't count and that if this actually were a documentary of real events he would have said it differently."

And then we get on with our lives, noting happily that the sky is not in fact falling around us after all as a result.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I guess. I can't as easily dismiss the idea that I choose to view the show as an immersive fictional environment, and that what is presented "really" happened within the paradigm of that fictional milieu.

Oh well. Ow! *looks up* What the hell was that?
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well, as far as I am concerned the ultimate truth of it is this.

IT'S JUST A TV SHOW!!!!!! IT'S NOT REAL!!!!!

And that's my last word :)
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I suppose the Data contraction issue is a case where Shatner's "get a life" dictum would apply. :P
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Lazar wrote:I suppose the Data contraction issue is a case where Shatner's "get a life" dictum would apply. :P
[sarcasm]....but....but........it is canon........[/sarcasm]
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

m52nickerson wrote:
Lazar wrote:I suppose the Data contraction issue is a case where Shatner's "get a life" dictum would apply. :P
[sarcasm]....but....but........it is canon........[/sarcasm]
Both true, and one doesn't preclude the other. I expect there's a joke in there somewhere?
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Topics like this make me want to kick people. Or maybe its the headache, don't know don't care.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Deepcrush wrote:Topics like this make me want to kick people. Or maybe its the headache, don't know don't care.
I suspect it's the fact that you're alive and conscious that makes you want to kick people.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

More like other people are alive I would gather... But that could just be me... :angel1:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:I'm not even debating that point, and in general I'm inclined to agree with you, GK - we know that Data can't use contractions. The fact of the matter is that he did, even if he didn't or can't; now, how do we have common ground to discuss the issue if I heard it happen, and you say it didn't happen because it couldn't happen?
Software glitch? Maybe he forgot to install his latest service pack.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

.....or upgraded to vista!
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Imagine if Data had been built by Microsoft... :lol:
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."