TOS Remastered: Disappointment in the Special Effects?

The Original Series
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TOS Remastered: Disappointment in the Special Effects?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:Very Euro-centric of you, Graham.
Well that's the first time anybody has ever accused me of that!

:EU: :sniper:
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

All in fun, of course. I'm not even sure I listed the traditional Chinese elements correctly.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:The energy produced by the ship isn't necessarily vented as heat or neutrinos. For instance the BoP was using its impulse drive, which involves mass lightening effects - we think, the whole mass reduction thing is largely speculative. But how much energy goes to that? How much goes to the Structural Integrity Fields? How much goes to the cloaking device effect? We have no real canonical idea how any of this works, no real idea of even the basic physics behind most of it. So we can't really claim that if the ship is producing X amount of energy then X must end up being dumped overboard as energetic plasma.
Yes we can. If a ship is producing X watts then it must either be radiating X watts or it's heating up. First law of thermodynamics.
I'll wager that he's not an engineer with any experience or theoretical knowledge whatsoever in designing matter/antimatter power systems to power faster than light warp drives. When it comes to this stuff, it's made up science with some basis in reality. Nobody alive today can do more than guess at the intimate details of how it would work - except, rather ironically, the writers and technical advisors who are the very ones being called idiots.
The question isn't "could someone today design a warp core?" - the answer to that's obviously no. The question is, could a modern engineer spot flaws in the concept of a design? In this case the answer's yes - the specifics of the design are irrelevent. What is relevent is that basic engineering principles are ignored.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:Yes we can. If a ship is producing X watts then it must either be radiating X watts or it's heating up. First law of thermodynamics.
There's nothing whatsoever in thermodynamics that says that the ship must radiate that energy as heat in the plasma exhaust. Or as heat at all, for that matter.
The question isn't "could someone today design a warp core?" - the answer to that's obviously no. The question is, could a modern engineer spot flaws in the concept of a design? In this case the answer's yes - the specifics of the design are irrelevent. What is relevent is that basic engineering principles are ignored.
Nonsense. We don't know what the basic engineering principles of a warp drive or a matter/antimatter power system ARE. There's no possible way to take them into account, and anybody who claims he can is fooling himself.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:There's nothing whatsoever in thermodynamics that says that the ship must radiate that energy as heat in the plasma exhaust. Or as heat at all, for that matter.
We do, however, know that it must radiate energy in some form. Since it's repeatedly stated that "all" emissions are blocked, that leaves the plasma.
Nonsense. We don't know what the basic engineering principles of a warp drive or a matter/antimatter power system ARE. There's no possible way to take them into account, and anybody who claims he can is fooling himself.
We don't know what the operating principles are, but we do know the basic priciples of engineering - and one of them is the dead-man's-switch principal.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:There's nothing whatsoever in thermodynamics that says that the ship must radiate that energy as heat in the plasma exhaust. Or as heat at all, for that matter.
We do, however, know that it must radiate energy in some form. Since it's repeatedly stated that "all" emissions are blocked, that leaves the plasma.
When is that stated?
We don't know what the operating principles are, but we do know the basic priciples of engineering - and one of them is the dead-man's-switch principal.[/quote]

And we do not know if this can be applied to a warp drive. It's impossible to say.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Mikey wrote:All in fun, of course. I'm not even sure I listed the traditional Chinese elements correctly.
Don't they consider wood an element too?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Mark wrote:
Mikey wrote:All in fun, of course. I'm not even sure I listed the traditional Chinese elements correctly.
Don't they consider wood an element too?
Yes. Which is probably why Mikey listed it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nice observation skills, Mark. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I would say that he's a past master of the obvious, but I guess that would be incorrect. :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Rochey wrote:Nice observation skills, Mark. :P

Hey, it was late afternoon, and we were out of coffee...........I've got an excuse. :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

No excuses. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:No excuses except for meeting deadlines. :P
Fixed it for ya. :P
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly! :P
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939