Borg Weapon Adapting

The Next Generation
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The plasma in First Contact was in essence an atmospheric condition, not a directed attack; and further worked against the organic component of the Borg exclusively.

We have seen, in TOS "Balance of Terror" et. al. that coherent plasma weapons are marvelously inefficient.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:The plasma in First Contact was in essence an atmospheric condition, not a directed attack; and further worked against the organic component of the Borg exclusively.
If the Borg had KE shields the plasma wouldn't even have touched their organic components - more eveidence that they don't have them.
We have seen, in TOS "Balance of Terror" et. al. that coherent plasma weapons are marvelously inefficient.
Funny, Kirk seemed to make strenuous efforts to avoid being hit by that "inefficient" weapon. It had limited range, and could be outrun at warp speed, but if it hit it did a lot of damage, destroying the Fed outposts with only 2-3 shots.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Funny, Kirk seemed to make strenuous efforts to avoid being hit by that "inefficient" weapon. It had limited range, and could be outrun at warp speed, but if it hit it did a lot of damage, destroying the Fed outposts with only 2-3 shots.
Yeah, it was great against a close, stationary target. But if you can just back up to avoid an opponent's primary weapon, I call that inefficient - I didn't say it wasn't powerful, just inefficient.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Artilary cannons are rather cumbersome to aim, would you call them inneficient?
We've seen photon torpedoes miss on many occasions, would you call them innefecient?

Just because something is innacurate, it does not mean it is not a good weapon.

And accuracy is a red herring anyway. In what way does a weapon being innacurate have to do with borg KE shields?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:Artilary cannons are rather cumbersome to aim, would you call them inneficient?
We've seen photon torpedoes miss on many occasions, would you call them innefecient?

Just because something is innacurate, it does not mean it is not a good weapon.

And accuracy is a red herring anyway. In what way does a weapon being innacurate have to do with borg KE shields?
Not to mention if the plasma weapon was that powerful in TOS ((Haven't seen the episode)) wouldn't it make sense for the Federation to at least look into that type of weapon? What's the harm in seeing if it'd be more powerful than phasers? Maybe they can develop a way for it to be fired at warp. You'd think that the Federation would be experimenting with plasma and projectile weapons.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I never said the Borg can't addapt to kenetic attacks. I said in the generic drone form they might not be able to since they dont face it that often. They would of had to come across it and have defences for it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Why wouldn't the drones face it that often? Anyone who can hold a phaser can punch, and the drones have to get pretty close to you to assimilate you.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Why would you want a physical shield up when trying to assimilate someone?

I doubt they would care if they got punched once or twice either.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

They should care about getting hit, punched or otherwise injured in hand to hand combat. Worf killed several of them this way in First Contact.

And having KE shields up while injecting someone to assimilate them wouldn't stop the Borg at all. The assimilation tubules are capable of penetrating any known material or forcefield, the Doctor on Voyager made that clear.

there's no reason for the Borg to be without KE shields - provided that they work. The fact they don't have them indicate that such sheilds just aren't useful, so the Borg have no sheilds against phyisical attacks. Thus, they cannot adapt to bullets, punching or anything like that.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The technology is shown to exist and the Borg must have assimilated it thus how could they not use it if they needed it or felt it needed.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:The technology is shown to exist and the Borg must have assimilated
Any evidence of this? Your entir argument seems to based on "kinetic energy wapons exist therefore the Borg must have adapted to them" and "Worf was able to rig up a shield [out of a communicator and a bunch of 19th-century odds and ends!] therefore the Borg must be able to make one"

Both arguments contradict the canon evidence of the Borg getting thrashed when KE weapons are used.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Evidence? The shields in the brig, the shields that stop hull breachs.

The shield exist in the Federation and most likely else where. The Borg have Assimilated Federation ships thus MUST have this tech.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yet they display this technology a grand total of zero times.

Maybe the borg decided it wouldn't be usefull enough. Maybe they have a blind spot when it comes to assimilating shields. There are plenty of reasons the borg may not have this technology. There are no reasons the borg would have this tech, yet never use it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Evidence? The shields in the brig, the shields that stop hull breachs.
As part of ship - the Borg have also demonstrated this ability with the shield that stopped Worf from getting to Locutus in BoBW Pt 1. There is zero evidence of Borg drone KE shields.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Sweet we're getting somewhere. So they have the shield tech but don't use it on their droids.

Why?

I would think because it is not needed most the time and when they find they do need it it takes a refit of droids.

I can't think of any other reason why they wouldn't use the tech they obviously have. Maybe it can't be crafted into personal units but I find that hard to believe.