What have ships done without warp cores?

Voyager
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Just surprised.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Why are you surprised? :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

I suppose just because, relatively speaking, I thought Nemesis was fast paced and entertaining. To be honest I think few/none of the Trek feature films stand up to any moderate or high level of scrutiny. Nemesis had holes in it but Generations and Insurrection made me yawn through several parts. Everything you said in your parody plot was a valid point, I just think that by the same level of critique, all Trek movies suck pretty much.

Borg Collective: MWA HA HA HA HA! WE ARE IN ORBIT OF DEFENSELESS, PRE-INSTERSTELLAR EARTH. WE SHALL NOW PROCEED TO BOMBARD THEM FROM ORBIT WITH FIREPOWER EQUIVALENT TO A LARGE FIRECRACKER! WHOO HA HA HA HA HA!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Actualy, I do intend to make parody scripts for pretty much all the films. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Meh. Nemesis was crap for plot, but A-OK for action and eye candy.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Actualy, I do intend to make parody scripts for pretty much all the films. :)
Speaking of which, how's Insurrection coming along?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:Meh. Nemesis was crap for plot, but A-OK for action and eye candy.
Yep. Unlike Generations which was crap for plot and crap for action and eye candy. "Engineering to bridge, the character shield is offline!"
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Not to mention that they thought we wouldn't notice the crash model was somehow blue as opposed to gray.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Duskofdead wrote:Not to mention that they thought we wouldn't notice the crash model was somehow blue as opposed to gray.
They must have scratched the paint on the way down. :roll:
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The only things I really liked about Generations was... the E-B (pretty) and the score.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:They must have scratched the paint on the way down. :roll:
Well, the hull was glowing pretty brightly during re-entry. Maybe it burned down to the undercoat.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Speaking of which, how's Insurrection coming along?
Uh, it's not going anywhere at the moment. Been busy. I'm up to the point where the E-E's been ordered off to Baku. The review's being slightly hampered by the fact that I saw the film a grand total of one time, when it first came out. So I'm having to look up the script of the film to remember what happened.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Did you get to the part yet where Barbara Walters reveals herself as the Queen of the Son'a?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Duskofdead wrote:Did you get to the part yet where Barbara Walters reveals herself as the Queen of the Son'a?
:laughroll:
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Captain Seafort wrote:The core itself was definately suffering damage, from the explosions we saw along it's length. How severe that damage was is the question, but I interpreted the intermittent surges, along with the explosions, as the core spluttering before failure.

There's also Geodi's statement that "we only have impulse", but dialogue WRT impulse, and whether they're talking about it as propulsion or power is notoriously imprecise.
I don't think you can have a core fail in a happy way. i.e. Generations. It makes sense the problem would be with the feed system.

Also it doesn't seem to be the core itself that's sparking. Rather the sparks are coming from the walls of engineering or, mostly in that shot, from the ring around the warp core that atteches to the large columns flanking it, which I"m pretty sure is supposed to be the main tap for the warp plasma.

We already know plasma conduits/taps are all to prone to sparking/popping when the ships shields take a hit. Looks like they lost/damaged those connecting the core to the nacelles.

There may be other taps on the core for not as energetic electro plasma(from various sources and promotional material we see that the core extends along most of the height of engineering not just what we can see), or it could be that every single tap on the core even there didn't pop, allowing some amount of electroplasma into the grid. Just not enough to power warp travel.

Finally it would seem to make more sense to say the warp core is offline if that was the case. If the core is down you can figure out that the drive isn't going to work. However there are many ways the drive could not work (say the nacelles took damage) but the core is fine.

So it makes sense to say core if its the core and say drive if its something other than the core.