What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:Aren't cryogenics wonderful? Maybe Bigfoot will be a roadie for the band?
Dude; naturally. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I just watched I,Robot on FX, and although it is a horrible reproduction of the short story, it was quite a good movie, and it actually didn't need to have a back plot that was somehow based on love, or some crap like that, I like it when they leave love out of it and make it a good movie without having to make the main characters fall in love and ride off into the sunset...

Also, why isn't this thread Stickied, it should be, we always post in it, it's the first thing I look at, it should be stickied IMO.

Wow, we almost have 500 pages of people's lives on here, that's either incredibly amazing, or incredibly sad, and I haven't yet come to a decision as to which it is...
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Nickswitz wrote:Wow, we almost have 500 pages of people's lives on here, that's either incredibly amazing, or incredibly sad, and I haven't yet come to a decision as to which it is...
I guess it's good we've had this much going on in our lives to talk about </geek>

Then again, half the threads here eventually turn into silly babble anyway!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

OMG, it's an all time record, I think the most on topic thread is this one. And yes, the fact that we could generate almost 500 pages of babble about our lives is extremely geeky, haha.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Last night's festival was without a doubt THE best thing I have gone to in my short existance. I've moshed in metal concerts (come on, Senses fail, you'd be weird if you DIDNT mosh in it), I've thrown glowsticks and groped lead singers at pop rock concerts, I've been trampled on by fat people at emo rock concerts...But this was great. Purely cause this time I had my friends with me. The music was pretty lame, especially the Abba Tribute band (that tried a fake accent that sounded more like a german having a fit), but I just loved the opportunity to be with a load of mates. I also managed to clear my head of all the ghosts of my...emotional break up last sunday, and gave the seal of approval to sam's bf-to-be.

I even got a number! 8)

Although my legs...feel like hell.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Yay, first post from school!

Bummer, I have school. :|
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I just learned...the dog I took care of...Molly...the most sweetest dog in the whole world...has died...
hope you've had a good summer & are looking forward to the new academic year. I wanted to share some sad news about Molly before you heard it from someone else because I know how much you loved her. Molly died unexpectedly about a month ago. I was too upset to write to you sooner or to call. She developed a rare form of immune-mediated thrombocytopenia in which her body destroyed her blood platelets much, much faster than her bone marrow could make them. She had no symptoms & was feeling fine, running around with O.D. & jumping off the dock at the lake, etc. We were at the lake one afternoon & she was doing her usual romping with O.D. & swimming out to fetch the ball we threw for her when suddenly at 2 pm she collapsed in the front yard. We immediately took her to the nearest vet. She saw 3 different doctors that same day & had lots of blood tests, IV fluids, etc. They all agreed her condition was critical & that she would not live long enough for any treatments to even begin to work. Usually, this disease, which can also affect humans --it's not contagious, it's an autoimmune disease that has no direct cause - comes on slowly. There usually are symptoms that clue you in to something being wrong but not with Molly. With the slower form, they can give prednisone to stop the immune system from attacking the blood platelets & then after 3-5 days they can give transfusions til the bone marrow makes new platelets to replace the ones destroyed. They were unable to even start the treatment because her platelets were so completely destroyed that she was massively bleeding to death internally and by evening was massively hemorrhaging externally (mouth, eyes, rectum) as well. There was no way to stop the blood loss because she had no clotting capability. The kindest choice we could make for Molly's sake was to have her put to sleep - there was no chance of recovery. We buried her up at the lake on a small hill overlooking her favorite swimming spot. We have all been so very sad - esp O.D. who can't understand why his little sister is gone. Even Kopetka has been out of sorts since Molly died. We console ourselves with the thought that at least she didn't suffer for long - from the time she collapsed until she was dead was less than 12 hours.

Though no other dog can ever fill the special place she had in all our hearts, we felt we wanted to have another dog to give our love to and to be a best buddy for O.D. & the cats who all miss Molly so much. So, we have gotten a new puppy. This one is a Goldendoodle (Golden Retriever & Standard Poodle mix.) She has the same poodle dad as Molly & O.D. so they all share a family connection. She is just 10 weeks old. She is sweet & golden colored, so we named her "Honey."

Give me a call sometime if you'd like to stop by & meet her.
:( :cry:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sorry to hear it, man. As mean as my dogs are, I'll be crushed when they die.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

My sympathies. :(
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Well I managed to fix my PC today by taking the motherboard fan off, cleaning it out and putting it back on. I think the dudes put it on backwards as well cause it was blowing air into the heat sink.

Edit: So now I have two fans coming that I don't need.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Ooh, my condolences, Saiya. :( That sounds horrid. At least she's at peace, now.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Oy... I'm sorry SSM.

On a somewhat humourous note, the Dean of the College of Education at Kutztown University is Dr. McCoy
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Gee....think he must have gotten teased much?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Me, my nephew David and brother-in-law Frank, during my trip to California. :D

David likes to run the vacuum. And he's so smart, too. He likes matchbox cars.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Dude, matchbox cars are like gold for little boys. I dunno what it is but they love them, my son must have 50 of the damn things.