Size of the Dominion

Deep Space Nine
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Unfortunately that still dosen't help us guess the size. I'd put half the quadrant as an upper limit personally.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

That still seems to big for me. I'd put it smaller but with high density. Lots of ships and people into an ara like 3 times the size of the federation.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

Is that to say that anything is going to conclusively determine the size of the Dominion?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We will never "know" but debate bring different points of view together so we can see it from different view points and make a better estimate.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Like I said, consider it an (extreme) upper limit. Clearly their power is below that level, but how much we don't know and we probably never will.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mind you, this is all under the broad assumption that the galaxy's stars with habitable planets are relatively evenly distributed with. From a strictly scientific standpoint, is this a practical assumption?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I don't think we really know how many habitable planets there are in what would be the Gamma quadrant. Since we have no info to go on, its simple enough to assume that all quadrants have roughly the same amount of stars, planets, etc.
They obviously don't, but we have nothing else to go on.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I would think it would be evenly distributed. But I'm sure this is something astronomers would know. Anyone here into astronomy?

Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

Going by a site I found quoting a paper from the British Interplanetary Society (however credible that is), they give the estimate of the number of habitable planets in the Milky Way as being 10 million habitable planets with a mean separation of 110 light years. Divide that number by four quadrants and you get 2,500,000 habitable planets per quadrant.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1978JBIS...31..411B
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

Teaos wrote:I would think it would be evenly distributed. But I'm sure this is something astronomers would know. Anyone here into astronomy?
No. Closer to the galactic core, there are far more planets packed closer together, so it stands to reason that there are far more habitable planets packed closer together as well. Don't forget, Earth is on the galaxy's fringe.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Also, I believe I read somewhere that the likelyhood of life developing on a planet is higher in the space between the spiral arms, owing to the higher radiation levels within the arms. Not sure about that though.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Captain Seafort wrote:Also, I believe I read somewhere that the likelyhood of life developing on a planet is higher in the space between the spiral arms, owing to the higher radiation levels within the arms. Not sure about that though.
Yeah, I believe you are correct. Similarly, closer to the core, the radiation would be immense, thus our particular region of the galaxy and similar locations throughout the varous spiral arms are believed to have far better odds of containing habitable life as we know it. Under that premesis, I'd say 1/4-1/3 of the quadrant as upper limit is far more likely.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Also the stars and systems in the core area are old stars that have drifted in. Thats why the center of Galaxys have a red color to them. Something that old would be less likely to have M class planets.

Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

People said the borg can not assimilate a founder... is that known for sure? That would seem to be a MAJOR biological distinction to add to the collective.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

People said the borg can not assimilate a founder... is that known for sure? That would seem to be a MAJOR biological distinction to add to the collective.
I don't see how they could. The Borg nanoprobes rely on cells to attach themselves to, and DNA to rewrite, to do their job, and Founders have neither. But I can definitely see the Borg being very interested in the Dominion; not only for the Dominion's technology (which seems to be quite nice), but also for the Founders themselves, which would represent a major, major jump ahead in evolution for the Borg... And the Founders would definitely not take this lightly. So, really, it's only a matter of time before the Dominion and Borg start duking it out for control of the Galaxy.... :P
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton