TR-116

Deep Space Nine
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good point. It might take longer for them to establish a lock on the other ship. Maybe matter/anti-matter warheads can't be transported?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

But phaser fire can. We have seen it at least once. I'm just presuming that it needs a certain set of circumstances. Both lots of shields down and a good lock on.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yes, but phaser fire is not the same as an M/AM warhead. Maybe anti-matter screws with the transporters?

<offtopic>
This is the first thread to reach 5 pages. Rejoice!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

We know torpedoes can be transported because Voyager used the tactic against the Borg in Dark Frontier. The problem is that in 99% of cases transporters will be blocked by your shields/their shields/jamming/funny metal in the hull/high speed manoeuvering. The result is that it's ignored as a tactic because of the extremely narrow set of circumstances that make it possible - once you've achieved them, most of the time the battle's already mean won by far simpler means.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:This is the first thread to reach 5 pages. Rejoice!
And it keeps changining topic from rifles to the Borg to transporters. Wonder what it's going to turn into next. :)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm... good point. I suppose whats the point of beaming a torpedo into them when you can just fire it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Because the whole point of this is to get past the armor to the important parts of the ship. Beam it into the bridge and you win the fight right away.

It seems to be really hard to do but real effective.

<Off topic>

I'm so proud my topic was the first to reach 5 pages *cry*

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

What's the point of using the transporter? You can't transport with shields up, and with shields down you can target the bridge directly, without lowering your own shields. Armour is likely to be a problem, as certain dense materials seem to block transporters.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If the armor stopped transport how would you transport usually?

The point of this is to do the damge in the most effective parts.

Lots of times we have seen shields down and hits on the hull that dont do a lot of damage.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:If the armor stopped transport how would you transport usually?
Pad-to-pad. The source is the TNG episode where Data had that kid trailing round after him (can't remember the name). They couldn't beam out of a part of the ship because of something in the hull.

EDIT: That is, the source for some hull materials block transporters.

Since virtually everyone seems to place their bridges in the most exposed position possible targeting it conventionally shouldn't be a problem.
Last edited by Captain Seafort on Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But we also see people get beamed off of ships at times also. So maybe only parts of the ships can't be reached by transporters. You could still transport into some parts getting past the armor.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:But we also see people get beamed off of ships at times also. So maybe only parts of the ships can't be reached by transporters. You could still transport into some parts getting past the armor.
I was merely giving a string of examples of transport blocking things to emphasise that rather than messing around overcomming these difficulties (and the problem of getting the torpedo to the transporter room) it would by simpler to fire on the target normally. After all, in all the hundreds of hours of televised Trek, we've only seen the "beam a torpedo aboard" trick used as a combat tactic once. This should speak volumes about its effectiveness.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I shows the writers are idiots.

I was trying to point out that while hard it is very effective as it gets past the armor which is shown to stop damage rather well.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:I shows the writers are idiots.
That too. :D
I was trying to point out that while hard it is very effective as it gets past the armor which is shown to stop damage rather well.

While I appreciate your point, we simply don't see it happen, so there must be something (suspending disbelief :wink:) that makes the practice unprofitably more difficult than the theory.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

True.

Now this seems as settled as it is going to get how will this thread mutate now?