What do you do with Hugh in "I, Borg?"

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The fact it is murder is the point. It's justified to the extent, but no power in the universe gives you the right to choose to kill that particular man to save quintillions. To say it's 'justified' is an absolute.
No, some guy doesn't just pop out of thin air and give you the right to kill someone. But from a moral point of view, sacraficing Hugh to save countless trillions is what should have been done.
What about murdering 10 innocents to save another 10?
What part of 'it depends on the circumstances' do you not understand? I've stated already that you can't simply say 'would you kill this man to save another?' without providing a proper context. Some situations would call for such an action, while others wouldn't.
While everyone has their opinions, today's law agrees with Picard - the murdering of one innocent cannot justify the survival of millions.
If a guy was brought up in court for murder, but it was then found that that murder saved a city of millions from death, I'd bet on the charges being dropped quite quickly. It's all about context.
Officially, by the law, Picard did the correct thing. Whether you disagree with the law or not is another matter, but officially, Picard was right.
I take it you've never heard the quote "Laws are indeed silent in times of war."?
Picard allowed a threat to the entire galaxy to survive. His actions condemned countless trillions to death, or worse. To say that is preferable to killing one man, an enemy at that, is ridiculous.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Thorin wrote:The fact it is murder is the point. It's justified to the extent, but no power in the universe gives you the right to choose to kill that particular man to save quintillions. To say it's 'justified' is an absolute.
They're not chosing to kill that particular individual - they're choosing to disable the Borg communications and intelligence-gathering network, which will as a side-effect kill all the Borg, Hugh included. He's not being singled out in any way.
While everyone has their opinions, today's law agrees with Picard - the murdering of one innocent cannot justify the survival of millions.
Officially, by the law, Picard did the correct thing. Whether you disagree with the law or not is another matter, but officially, Picard was right.
The law is actually on the side of allowing the attack. The main requirements are for discrimination and proportionality. The former is met by the fact that the virus only attacks the Borg military net, albeit with fatal side-effects for its users. The latter is met by the fact that the Borg are implacable and merciless to a degree never before encountered. The only way to stop them is to kill them. Since the war was started by unprovoked Borg attacks on the E-D, a Federation colony, and a Federation civilian ship, it is a just war by the Federation.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:
I take it you've never heard the quote "Laws are indeed silent in times of war."?
Even by the laws of war, rather than those of "least harm", deploying the virus would have been legal.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Rochey wrote: No, some guy doesn't just pop out of thin air and give you the right to kill someone. But from a moral point of view, sacraficing Hugh to save countless trillions is what should have been done.
I'd say that's the opposite of morals.
What part of 'it depends on the circumstances' do you not understand? I've stated already that you can't simply say 'would you kill this man to save another?' without providing a proper context. Some situations would call for such an action, while others wouldn't.
I gave the context - that was the entire context. There was no other extra information available.
If a guy was brought up in court for murder, but it was then found that that murder saved a city of millions from death, I'd bet on the charges being dropped quite quickly. It's all about context.
He'd be found guilty and more than likely given a suspended sentence. But still guilty - if they knew he killed someone, no matter the outcome, he's still guilty of murder.
Picard allowed a threat to the entire galaxy to survive. His actions condemned countless trillions to death, or worse. To say that is preferable to killing one man, an enemy at that, is ridiculous.
Murdering one man to allow for the survival of others is, in my opinion, wrong. The fact is the law agrees with me. Necessity cannot be counted in murder. Whether laws are silent or not isn't particularly relevant - I'm providing modern day law to show if such a thing happened today, Picard would officially be in the right, even if hated by people such as yourselves.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Even by the laws of war, rather than those of "least harm", deploying the virus would have been legal.
Yeah I'm pretty damn sure thats not true.

The "Murder" of even one sentient being will never be justified even if it saves the life of every other sentient being in the whole unvierse.

Now I'm not saying I wouldnt use the virus personally but what I am saying is its wrong and trying to justifie murder no matter what reason is wrong.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Thorin wrote: He'd be found guilty and more than likely given a suspended sentence. But still guilty - if they knew he killed someone, no matter the outcome, he's still guilty of murder.
No, the law provides for shades of gray. Prosecutors can choose not to pursue once circumstances become clear, defenses can argue that it was not murder, since murder has a very specific legal connotation that most certainly takes motivations into account, and the jury can choose to find the defendant not guilty because they feel the law does not work in this case.

The fact of the matter is, the law already has provisions for justifiable homicide, even before you get to jury nullification or suspended sentences. There is no way at all you can state with certainty that Picard would have been in violation of the letter of the law to kill Hugh in order to destroy the Borg. That's only true by a narrow interpretation of about two lines out of thousands dealing with killing.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

But any killing is murder, according to you.
Thorin wrote:Hugh is an innocent being (not in control of his actions in the Borg)
Knowingly killing an innocent being is murder
Killing Hugh is murder
Any of the Borg that we've ever seen killed - in BoBW, FC, anything - were innocent by your definition - they were controlled by the collective, so they were not in control of their actions. When they were fired upon, the firer "knowingly" killed them. Therefore, Worf "murdered" the Borg that he chopped up in FC; Riker "murdered" a whole cube's worth of Borg in BoBW; etc.

Go sell that somewhere else, 'cause it don't play here.

It is interesting to note that legal insanity in the US has little to do with actual insanity. Charles Manson was never legally insane, because he was able to distinguish sociallly accepted ethics. However, his sociopathy drove him to kill; however, by your definition, since he acted under the compulsion of his sociopathy, he is innocent.

Are you serious?

There is a difference between killing and murder. Killing Hugh, and any Borg to which he might have transmitted the code, is not murder because thos Borg represented threats to either the E-D or to humanity a/o the UFP. Whether they did so unwittingly or not is not relevant.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

No Thorin did not say all killing was murder. Nor did he say all Borg were who were killed were innocent and thus it was murder.

A Borg on a cube in control of the collective is a danger to you and you can use all necessary force to elliminate them.

Hugh while on board the E-D was not a direct danger to them and only indirect danger by bringing the Borg to the ship. Giving him the virus would not have stopped that indirect threat to them and would have broken all rules of war and morality codes.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Nope. He said that Hugh was innocent becuase he was under the control of the collective. Since that applies to all the Borg, then they all are innocent by his definition.

BTW -
only indirect danger by bringing the Borg to the ship
Indirect danger is still danger, and it (Hugh) was still the cause.
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Mikey wrote: Any of the Borg that we've ever seen killed - in BoBW, FC, anything - were innocent by your definition - they were controlled by the collective, so they were not in control of their actions. When they were fired upon, the firer "knowingly" killed them. Therefore, Worf "murdered" the Borg that he chopped up in FC; Riker "murdered" a whole cube's worth of Borg in BoBW; etc.
s I've already said, and most probably through selective blindness you missed it, if you kill a mentally ill person (who has no control over their action) who is about to kill you, your are not 'in the wrong' - it was self-defence. While it is regrettable that someone who has no control over their action has to die, it's still self-defence.
Go sell that somewhere else, 'cause it don't play here.
Shut up.
It is interesting to note that legal insanity in the US has little to do with actual insanity. Charles Manson was never legally insane, because he was able to distinguish sociallly accepted ethics. However, his sociopathy drove him to kill; however, by your definition, since he acted under the compulsion of his sociopathy, he is innocent.
Doesn't matter - in the eyes of the law, if you have no control over your actions (generally through mental illness), you are 'innocent' of any crime you commited during that period.
There is a difference between killing and murder. Killing Hugh, and any Borg to which he might have transmitted the code, is not murder because thos Borg represented threats to either the E-D or to humanity a/o the UFP. Whether they did so unwittingly or not is not relevant.
It is murder. You are correct to the extent that there is a difference between killing and murder - one is taking another's life in any condition, the other is an unlawful taking of another's life.

Let's put it this way, Picard has just 'killed' Hugh to save the Feds.
In a court of law, what defence does he have? Necessity - to save the Federation? Nope - necessity doesn't apply to murder. Self-defence? Nope - it only applies where that person's actions will harm yourself (or others).
Nope. He said that Hugh was innocent becuase he was under the control of the collective. Since that applies to all the Borg, then they all are innocent by his definition.

BTW -

Quote:
only indirect danger by bringing the Borg to the ship

Indirect danger is still danger, and it (Hugh) was still the cause.
I refer you back to my selective blindness part, above. Killing the Borg has a claim for self defence, killing Hugh does not - in an official court of law, at least.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

First, this has nothing to do with a self-defense argument. Picard was acting as a soldier of the Federation. If a soldier kills someone who is a threat to his unit or his nation - or kills someone who could generate such a threat - it is killing, but not murder.
Doesn't matter - in the eyes of the law, if you have no control over your actions (generally through mental illness), you are 'innocent' of any crime you commited during that period.
If that were true, Manson would be either free or hospitalized, not in jail. Sirhan Sirhan was legally insane, Manson wasn't. The difference isn't degree, nor is it inability to control themselves - neither was able to. The difference in the eyes of the law is the inability to distinguish right from wrong. As part of a psychology study, I read some of Sirhan's journals - nutty as a fruitcake, and no real tangible link with reality; a true psychotic in the technical sense of the term. Manson was psychopathic, AKA antisocial or sociopathic, and clearly NOT psychotic, but his illness dictated his actions as much as Sirhan's did. However, that is patently NOT the distinguishing feature in the eyes of the law.
one is taking another's life in any condition, the other is an unlawful taking of another's life.
So by your new definition, if I were in a state or country that had passed a law against any killing, and I then killed someone who was about to kill me or my child unless I did first, I would have excercised my right to self-defense AND be guilty of murder at the same time, yes?

What if I had a hypoglycemic reaction while driving? (That's why diabetics can't get CDL's in America.) I pass out behind the wheel and run somebody over and kill them. That's illegal - we call it "vehicular manslaughter" - but its clearly not murder, except by your new definition.
Let's put it this way, Picard has just 'killed' Hugh to save the Feds.
In a court of law, what defence does he have? Necessity - to save the Federation? Nope - necessity doesn't apply to murder. Self-defence? Nope - it only applies where that person's actions will harm yourself (or others).
I repeat - a soldier defending his nation (or interstellat Federation), or a sialor defneding his ship, does NOT have to defend himself for killing a proven threat to that nation (or ship.) It matters little whether that threat was directed to that soldier personally.
I refer you back to my selective blindness part, above. Killing the Borg has a claim for self defence, killing Hugh does not - in an official court of law, at least.
Stop calling me blind just because you have maintained an untenable position. Hugh was a demonstrable threat to the E-D (and more abstractly, to the UFP, although that's hardly a necessary line of reasoning right now.) It matter little whether he WANTED to be or not. Picard was the captain of the E-D; it was his duty, not just his right, to eliminate that threat.

Besides, I made the parallel between Hugh and other Borg examples because YOU maintained Hugh's "innocence" by way of being controlled by the collective. All those other Borg are too, whether you want to talk about them or not.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thorin wrote:I'd say that's the opposite of morals.
So sacraficing trillions of people to save one is somehow more moral?
He'd be found guilty and more than likely given a suspended sentence. But still guilty - if they knew he killed someone, no matter the outcome, he's still guilty of murder.
Stop trying to turn this into a black/white situation, it simply is not. If definite proof was given that killing one person would save thousands, he'd be let off. Yes, the murder itself is still ilegal, but he wouldn't be throw into jail for it.

Hugh was an enemy combatant, whether he wanted to be or not. Killing him would have been similar to a soldier killing a conscript, the conscript may not want to be there, but he's still an enemy.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

OH MY GOD! I LEAVE FOR A DAY TO COME BACK AND HE'S STILL CRYING ABOUT THIS! Really kid, you should lay off the coffee, its just not working for you.

(I'm want to say back to topic but fear I would be shot for such in DITL)

I'm seeing a lot of people (myself included I think) worrying about the standing of Laws, Morals and Opinions. Here's the big problem with that. Its not up to any ONE of us to make the choice but for a jury. If you want to understand then you must think as a jury would.

In my line of work I get to see a lot of crap that I would most likely be happy to never seen in the first place. That aside I also see things that make me glad to be here and part of this whole deal.

Understanding where Laws apply vs Morals overriding them is a tough thing. Don't take this all to lightly as its not something that is easy to grasp. That is also the reason why governments have people to make such choices for us, I'm speaking about amorals in this case.

(Didn't Hugh want to return to the borg? If so then he is still a combatant)

Law says it is wrong to kill one to save others, true thorin but that is a civilian law. Starfleet has shown that it acts on a Military Code as well which means that the law has its bending points. The borg being an enemy of the state means that starfleet would employ whatever measures it can to remove that danger.

Morals say it would be murder. Again very true, but! Where do your morals place you on allow billions to die so that one could live? Thats a much harder answer to come up with as I haven't seen you try resolve it. Thats not to say its a bad thing, its good that you have such a strong sense of morals but don't let them get in the way of proper thinking.

Murder. Well this gets tricky. If you send hugh back with the virus then he would die along with many other borg. If you don't then many more people will die since the borg are still left standing. This isn't a black or white problem as you are now left to decide who should live and who should die. No matter what choice you make there will be a lot of innocent people who will suffer for it. Now choose what is the best action.

Careful on this (anyone) if you think to answer.
Morals and law apply but where?
Is it better for ten billion borg die or ten billion others that you don't know?
What does the law say about standing by and letting others die?
(That last one is different by country so say which country when speaking about it. If you don't feel like sticking to a country try the UN laws on human rights. NO CRYING ABOUT HAVING TO PICK!)
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Mikey wrote:First, this has nothing to do with a self-defense argument. Picard was acting as a soldier of the Federation. If a soldier kills someone who is a threat to his unit or his nation - or kills someone who could generate such a threat - it is killing, but not murder.
Hugh as an individual is neither a threat to his unit or his nation.
If that were true, Manson would be either free or hospitalized, not in jail. Sirhan Sirhan was legally insane, Manson wasn't. The difference isn't degree, nor is it inability to control themselves - neither was able to. The difference in the eyes of the law is the inability to distinguish right from wrong. As part of a psychology study, I read some of Sirhan's journals - nutty as a fruitcake, and no real tangible link with reality; a true psychotic in the technical sense of the term. Manson was psychopathic, AKA antisocial or sociopathic, and clearly NOT psychotic, but his illness dictated his actions as much as Sirhan's did. However, that is patently NOT the distinguishing feature in the eyes of the law.
Manson isn't legally insane - the Borg can't control their actions and don't know 'our' moral rights from wrongs.
So by your new definition, if I were in a state or country that had passed a law against any killing, and I then killed someone who was about to kill me or my child unless I did first, I would have excercised my right to self-defense AND be guilty of murder at the same time, yes?
What state or country has passed a law against any killing? Perhaps I should ask you what if a country passed a law against breathing, and I then proceeded to breath. I am guilty? Well, yes. Killing in self defence is not murder. Thus it is a 'lawful' killing.
'Lawful' killings are killings that involve things like self-defence and accidents.
Unlawful killings are killings where there is no way to defend yourself, using established law. This is murder.

You defending yourself and your daughter by killing this other person is a lawful killing. So it's not murder - you should be exercising your right to read.
What if I had a hypoglycemic reaction while driving? (That's why diabetics can't get CDL's in America.) I pass out behind the wheel and run somebody over and kill them. That's illegal - we call it "vehicular manslaughter" - but its clearly not murder, except by your new definition.
If its the absolute of 'unlawful' then it's murder. But when driving in a car (including this country), and you kill someone, it's always manslaughter, meaning it's not completely unlawful - there are things that stop it being the absolute of 'unlawful' - heat of passion, non-intention, etc etc. But even still, manslaughter is for all practical purposes generally considered to be nearly on a par with murder.
I repeat - a soldier defending his nation (or interstellat Federation), or a sialor defneding his ship, does NOT have to defend himself for killing a proven threat to that nation (or ship.) It matters little whether that threat was directed to that soldier personally.
It doesn't matter whether the threat is presented to him, others, or everyone. But Hugh was not a threat to him, others, or everyone.
Stop calling me blind just because you have maintained an untenable position. Hugh was a demonstrable threat to the E-D (and more abstractly, to the UFP, although that's hardly a necessary line of reasoning right now.) It matter little whether he WANTED to be or not. Picard was the captain of the E-D; it was his duty, not just his right, to eliminate that threat.
Hugh was not a threat to the E-D - have you ever seen the episode in question?
Besides, I made the parallel between Hugh and other Borg examples because YOU maintained Hugh's "innocence" by way of being controlled by the collective. All those other Borg are too, whether you want to talk about them or not.
And as I've already said, which you did now address, it is self defence killing someone who will kill you - whether they are in control or not. It is not self defence killing someone who will not kill you.
So sacraficing trillions of people to save one is somehow more moral?
You make it sound like Hugh is the one who will kill all the UFP by himself...
They're not sacraficing the UFP - clearly - as they survived. It's not saving one - that sounds as if he would die and he was stopped from dying which caused the death of the UFP. It's failing to murder him - very different from saving him.
Stop trying to turn this into a black/white situation, it simply is not. If definite proof was given that killing one person would save thousands, he'd be let off. Yes, the murder itself is still ilegal, but he wouldn't be throw into jail for it.
You've both conceded that killing Hugh is murder and it is illegal. I'm not saying he'd be thrown in jail for it - I even said that probably if something like that happened today, he'd be given a suspended sentence, but if he murdered someone then he murdered someone - just because the outcome may be relatively good doesn't change the initial act.
Hugh was an enemy combatant, whether he wanted to be or not. Killing him would have been similar to a soldier killing a conscript, the conscript may not want to be there, but he's still an enemy.
Killing enemy conscripts is more like killing the collective Borg - regrettable, but it must happen and the legal defence is 'self-defence'. Killing Hugh is not self-defence - he presents no threat to anyone (regardless of the rest of the collective), and necessity does not apply to murder.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You make it sound like Hugh is the one who will kill all the UFP by himself...
Whatever. My meaning is quite clear.
They're not sacraficing the UFP - clearly - as they survived.
Picard didn't know they'd survive. Just as Churchill didn't know Nazi Germany would be defeated. Picard's actions could (and may still) have doomed the federation.
How many trillions of innocent beings were assimilated because of Picard's actions? How many cultures were destroyed?
It's not saving one - that sounds as if he would die and he was stopped from dying which caused the death of the UFP. It's failing to murder him - very different from saving him.
Fine, whatever. The meaning of my point, which you have notably failed to adress, is quite clear. Even so, I'll state it nice and simply for you:

Is allowing Hugh to survive, condeming uncounted trillions to a horrific fate, somehow more moral than killing him, and saving those trillions of lives, and even more in the future?
You've both conceded that killing Hugh is murder and it is illegal.
I've agreed that killing Hugh would be murder. I've agreed that murder usualy warants punishment. I have not agreed that killing Hugh should be treated the same way as someone getting stabbed during a robbery (or whatever). Why? Because there were extenuating circumstances.
just because the outcome may be relatively good doesn't change the initial act.
No, but it can justify the act, as in this situation.
Killing enemy conscripts is more like killing the collective Borg - regrettable, but it must happen and the legal defence is 'self-defence'. Killing Hugh is not self-defence - he presents no threat to anyone (regardless of the rest of the collective), and necessity does not apply to murder.
Wasn't Hugh attracting the Borg by his presence? In that sense, he does represent a threat to the crew.