Other
No votes

Total votes: 41
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Zombie Invasion

Post by alexmann »

More power and ammo seems to be the deciding factor. Therefore: Deepcrush wins! :irony: :jester: :jester:
ImageImage
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mikey wrote:You, of all people, know that this isn't a machine gun. However, I'm glad you agreed with me on this one - super-reliable, assault rifle or battle rifle sized (depending on which barrel you choose,) easy controls, and the NATO 7.62x51 round instead of the 5.56.
Ok, fine I cheated. The idea of lugging around an M240 doesn't really appeal to me and the M249 fires the 5.56 which I consider to be just about useless against a zombie. The HK-417 with the 7.62 NATO round is just about perfect for anti-zombie work. I could probably drop the conventional rifle and content myself with the HK-417 alone making room for a second shotgun or a submachine gun.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Honestly, my selection depends on what I'm doing, forting up or running for safer ground.

Forting
M40 Rifle: For picking off zombies from the rooftop.

Benelli M4 Shotgun: For clearing away zombies through windows or doors, and clearing hallways in case any manage to break inside.

M1911 Pistol: Backup weapon and for clearing rooms where the shotgun is too bulky.

Running
FN P90: Primary weapon

M1911 Pistol: Again, as a backup weapon

Crowbar: Only used as a weapon in order to take down single zombie from behind in order to avoid making excess noise. It's usefulness in breaking and entering warrants its weight.

I tried to focus on weapons with reliability in mind, and lightweight for the running list. You don't want to be struggling to run under the weight of your weapons.

As Tyyr stated above, melee with zombies is a fool's choice. You should be running at that point. The only melee you should do with zombies is grapple escapes, which would be some damn good techniques to learn.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

alexmann wrote:More power and ammo seems to be the deciding factor. Therefore: Deepcrush wins! :irony: :jester: :jester:
Its not just about power and more ammo. Weapons are much more complex then that. There's the type of ammo, the user(s), weapon upkeep, ease of use, weight, range, accuracy (both weapon and user) and finally the task in which you intend the weapon to perform.

Also, I edited my choices.

Thompson for ranged engagements, AA12 for room clearing, explosives for anything that needs to go boom.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Deepcrush wrote: ... explosives for anything that needs to go boom.
Well, that certainly seems a logical use of explosives...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Lighthawk wrote:Running
FN P90: Primary weapon

M1911 Pistol: Again, as a backup weapon

Crowbar: Only used as a weapon in order to take down single zombie from behind in order to avoid making excess noise. It's usefulness in breaking and entering warrants its weight.

I tried to focus on weapons with reliability in mind, and lightweight for the running list. You don't want to be struggling to run under the weight of your weapons.

As Tyyr stated above, melee with zombies is a fool's choice. You should be running at that point. The only melee you should do with zombies is grapple escapes, which would be some damn good techniques to learn.
The pistol in this is just not needed. You're already using a light SMG which has greater rate of fire, ammo-cap and equals range while being easier to aim. For quiet killing, take a 9mm silenced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The whole point of the P90 was to provide behind the lines soldiers with greater fire power than a pistol without adding too much to their load. the P90 is a submachine gun but it's not going to be much worse than a pistol in close so yeah, not really needed.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Suppressors just don't have the life expectancy I'd like for this. And yeah the pistol is both weaker and redundant, but that's why it's the backup. I only want it in case the P90 jams or breaks or I just don't have time to make a reload. If I'm on the run, using a gun is my absolute last resort, because gunfire is just going to attract attention. Carrying more guns just slows me down.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If you're not using it to often then you're fine. Plus you can carry multiple silencers easily enough.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Well I suppose if I can get suppressors as easily as I can apparently get ammo in regards to the OP...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Which is a safe bet. If you're picking up the gear involved then there's no reason you couldn't get a pack box which comes with six. Depending on your care and use, thats 600 to 6000 rounds.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

I think you can get packs of 12.
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

alexmann wrote:More power and ammo seems to be the deciding factor. Therefore: Deepcrush wins! :irony: :jester: :jester:
Umm... what? More ammo... yeah, the Tommy can use those longer boxes or drums. More power? WTF are you talking about? Are you saying that a .45 ACP has more power than a .45 ACP? The chamber pressure of the .45 maxes around 20k psi, so you're not getting more from one gun over the other; and the .45 ACP is going to carry the same powder load and bullet weight for either gun, so... what?

@ Lighthawk: as i said to Tsu, I wouldn't bet on zombies being vulnerable to hydrostatic shock and you don't need to pierce armor. The little P90 round might be made up for by volume of fire compared to the M1911, but having both is a waste. I don't see the PDW round doing much, if anything, to your friendly neighborhood walking dead.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

To be fair to the 5.7mm round. It does have better AP then the .45 ACP. So with head level fire, while the single rounds do less damage, in volume they will go through multiple skulls. Which isn't a bad thing if the shooter can stay on target for a full two second burst. Of course thats harder then most may think.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Lighthawk, I have to agree with your choice of shotgun on the forting up bit. I'd go for the Benelli M4 too.
ImageImage