DS9 era series thought...

Deep Space Nine
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: DS9 era series thought...

Post by Mikey »

No, I think he lives in this forum - in which discussions grow organically, and - much like every other conversation in the world - having an antecedent to one's statement aids discussion to no end.

Other than that, I like Bateman - but wasn't he a captain in a completely different era than the Dominion War?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Victory is Life wrote:Um...excuse me? Has common sense been thrown to the wayside completely in this forum, or do you live in a bubble?
Common sense would have consisted of either a) continuing the line of debate in progress (which, this being DITL, had sod-all to do with the OP) or b) stating what exactly you were referring to. You did neither, hence Mikey's question.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Other than that, I like Bateman - but wasn't he a captain in a completely different era than the Dominion War?
Yes, but he got dragged into the 24th century courtesy of a plot device of the week temporal anomaly.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Ah, I misremembered the ending of "Cause and Effect." I thought the Bozeman went back.
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:Ah, I misremembered the ending of "Cause and Effect." I thought the Bozeman went back.
Nope. They're stuck...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Which I actually liked about that story. They didn't go for the stock time-travel everything back to the way it was ending.

Ship of the Line was an alright book that continued on with him. Nothing spectacular just alright.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I disagreed a bit with Ship of the Line. It just doesn't seem realistic how they handeled a Starfleet crew catapulted forward in time.

Think about it. Everything these people know is dated. They have about a century of history to catch up on, new tech to learn, new languaged, new policies, and so forth.

How could one reasonably expect them to continue Starfleet careers without perhaps going BACK to the acadamy to be completely retrained?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:How could one reasonably expect them to continue Starfleet careers without perhaps going BACK to the acadamy to be completely retrained?
Quite easily, given a few courses to catch up. You can't change the laws of physics to start with, most of the academy seems to be bullshit renaissance man stuff, and Starfleet is still using some of the same technical journals they were (and in some case, that they wrote).
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Let's try it this way.

Assume for a minute that the USS Givashit disappears in the waters of Pearl Harbor in 1920. Now, they reappear in the year 2000. Is it unrealistic to expect that it would take them at LEAST four years to catch up enough to be assigned a modern ship, or even to effectively continue their careers?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:Assume for a minute that the USS Givashit disappears in the waters of Pearl Harbor in 1920. Now, they reappear in the year 2000. Is it unrealistic to expect that it would take them at LEAST four years to catch up enough to be assigned a modern ship, or even to effectively continue their careers?
It would take them far longer than that, but that's not really relevant to the question. If, on the other hand, one of Rooke's ships had disappeared off Malagar in 1704 and reappeared a century later off Cadiz, the ship and it's crew would be able to fit into Collingwood's blockading squadron with little difficulty. That's the sort of difference you're looking at, as proven by the fact that Mirandas, Excelsiors, K't'ingas and BoP remain effective combat units despite being as old as the Bozeman.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

And in the time they were gone, such massive advances such as the TNG warp scale, phaser emitters, burst fire torps are just the first three that come to mind.

The engineers have to update all their engineering knowledge.

The scientists have to update on all the new equipment, discoveries made, new theories, and so forth.

The doctors have to catch up on all the medical advances of however long they were gone for.

The command staff has to catch up on galactic politics, new policies and procedures, learn to incorporate the new tech into updated tactics, so on and so forth.

That doesn't factor in the cousling they'll need to adapt to life in a future century.

They would have to learn most of they're craft all over again.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:And in the time they were gone, such massive advances such as the TNG warp scale
Which seems to have slowed ships down tremendously, given the calculable top speeds of the E-nil and Voyager.
phaser emitters, burst fire torps
They had phasers and torps in TOS - neither of those are anything close to a "massive advance".
The engineers have to update all their engineering knowledge.
As I said, they're still using the same tech manuals. Any improvements must therefore be minor enough that a few updating courses should set them right.
The scientists have to update on all the new equipment, discoveries made, new theories, and so forth.
You don't need scientists to run a ship.
The doctors have to catch up on all the medical advances of however long they were gone for.
Again, what medical advances? I've seen very little evidence of any.
The command staff has to catch up on galactic politics
Beyond Khitomer, what exactly has changed?
new policies and procedures
Again, a few months would be more than enough.
learn to incorporate the new tech into updated tactics
What new technology? There are probably detail changes, but they're effectively identical.
That doesn't factor in the cousling they'll need to adapt to life in a future century.
Good point. The rest is easy, but living in a communist shithole where the PD's turned the genocide convention on its head must be tough.
They would have to learn most of they're craft all over again.
Bollocks. Assuming, of course, that I knew what "most of they are craft" meant :?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mark - in TNG: "Relics," Scotty was able to succesfully merge SOA TNG tech with that of 80 years prior... with a sum total of about 5 minutes familiarization. I don't see how that translates into more than a quick refresher for the crew of a ship who would go on to crew - (wait for it) - their own old ship. Anything else - politics, new protocols of the UFP, etc. - can be learned while underway.
as Bull offed Custer
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Well, altough there clearly are technological more advanced species in the Trek Universe, maybe the gap between the UFP and the borg for instance is not so great as one would think and they simply are nearing a point where there just isn't much more to do. Once you reached the ability to transport, replicate, have weapons with almost 100% efficiency etc. its probalby more a matter of combining things in a creative way but real scientific mysteries, stuff which would appear as magical to them as do replicators to us now simply do not exist anymore in this mortal universe.

Maybe thats the reason the Q bug them that they should seek to advance into a different way, since apart from mapping stars, there isn't much to learn anymore, most of the rules of the universe being understood.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

They certainly do seem to have hit a wall, at which there is no real further advancement - just refinement.

Then again, there are always new projects in TNG - soliton wave travel, particle fountains, etc., etc.
as Bull offed Custer