Shogun 2: Total War - New Video - Battle Report

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Shogun 2: Total War - New Video - Battle Report

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Reliant121 wrote:I'd disagree to India, as when the Empire controlled India, the number of Indian dishes and such like that found their way into England was HUGE. A large proportion of middle to upper class victorian England was fascinated with India.
Aye, maybe a bad example there.
Reliant121 wrote:Of course, it was never as grand as the modern fascination with Japan. But thats purely because media today is an order of magnitude easier to distribute AND obtain.
Which is undoubtedly one of the reasons that this fascination seems so strong. Although Japanese culture is seen as being strange and exotic, it's trivialy simple to obtain something made in Japan or to find out about its culture. The same couldn't be said about India, China or Africa during the height of colonialism.
SolkaTruesilver wrote:I think he reduced the "Western World" to "The US and it's media". It's a common mistake. The U.S. never really had much interest in India, as their sphere of influence never went deep there, as opposed to the U.K.
No, I used the "Western World" in the classical sense - Europe and North America.
Tyyr wrote:Yeah, but so did European swords from time to time.
True, though I was under the impression that Japanese swords were still more prone to snappage than their European counterparts. Am I mistaken?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I honestly can't tell you the comparative rates of blade breakage. I do know that classical katana makers were actually pretty good about making sure the core of the blade remained ductile enough to try and avoid that.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Still. I think a China Total War, with a hierarchical organisation between "players" like in Crusader King with a (maybe innefectual, maybe not) Emperor at the top would be nice.

You'd have to balance out between mere conquest, Court Intrigues, gathering allegiance of Province Governors, Barbarian Invasions, and eventually, Tea/Opium trade...

Something that makes the game still fun even after you won it. Like, having to hold on your Empire once you became Emperor is quite hard, with revolting generals and vassals, etc... seeing when your Dynasty will finally fall, so you can pick up another faction and start over the ashes of your Lost Empire...

Oh well. If people don't like that, their loss.