Ship of the week: Breen frigate

Deep Space Nine
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

SPLAT!
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:If they're using organic hulls then we can chalk up yet another stupid species - there's a good reason we use metal or ceramic armour to protect organic people, and that's because organic material is far weaker.
It is as far as we know in RL - but then again we haven't met any Breen yet in RL either.

It's a friggin' TV show! If we can talk casually about a race of humanoids with no liquid component in their entire physiology, then we can certainly discuss organic components as strong as any known metallurgy.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It is as far as we know in RL - but then again we haven't met any Breen yet in RL either.
So? We haven't got warp drive in RL either. Does this mean we can throw all the laws of physics out the window when it comes to suspension of disbelief? No, we use what we do already know, unless it is otherwise contradicted by canon.
Since the fact that organic ships suck has yet to be contradicted, my point stands.
If we can talk casually about a race of humanoids with no liquid component in their entire physiology, then we can certainly discuss organic components as strong as any known metallurgy.
Except, we have no canon proof that there are such organic materials. Ergo, its a complete leap in logic to assume there are.
Granite wrote:SPLAT!
Exactly how a battle between an organic ship and a metal ship would go. :wink:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Apparently not...
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Breen were pirates and they built ships to match this. Small, fast, cheap, very large numbers. Their ship seems to fit them well for what we know of them.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Spider Silk.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nuclear missile.

Bye bye silk. :P
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

the point is some organic compounds are stronger than steel. I don't see why even stronger ones can't be produced using bioengineering. Will they stand up to whatever the Federation uses? Probably not but would they be strong enough to use for a ship maybe.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm not denying that you might be able to build a ship out of organic compounds, but they'd be far weaker than a conventional ship.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

I'm pretty sure that 'organic components' just means that they use organic-based control systems or something...not that the entire ship is a giant insect or something. Anyway, the hull looks pretty metallic to me...
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

True - maybe they've got something along the lines of the Cylon Raider from nBSG - armour-plated outer hull, but all squishy inside.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

True - I'd expect the show to show an organic hull as less angular, more like the Xyrillian ship from Enterprise. The organic components would probably consist of control systems, an onboard mini-ecosphere rather than mechanical life support, etc.

An BTW - if you wanted to apply actual modern physics to 'Treknology, you'd have to invalidate most of canon.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

8472 have the most advanced ships we have seen able to with stand powerful fire power. Thus it would seem organic is better than metal.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

8472 have the most advanced ships we have seen able to with stand powerful fire power. Thus it would seem organic is better than metal.
Well, not necessarily. In everything, there are degrees of skillfulness in design...8472 ships might be powerful, and organic, whereas another race's organic designs might be much weaker than an equivalent mechanical design. Take an example; someone might look at spider-silk, and see that it was stronger than metal...and they'd be right. But if they assumed that all organic fibers were better than mechanical ones, and tried to build a ship out of sheep wool, they'd be in for something of a surprise. :wink:

The thing that matters in such a case is not whether a ship is organic or mechanical, but how skilfull and advanced the makers were...
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton