Iron Man 2

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Re: Iron Man 2

Post by Lighthawk »

Peer pressure
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

IIRC, in the Jack Kirby days the story was that he was forced, as a penance or lesson assigned by Odin, to live as a mortal, only able to assume his true form and godhead in times of dire and selfless need. Or some crap like that.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Okay, I looked up a few things about Marvel Thor. Basically in the Marvel-zerse, the Norse gods are real, though whether they are true gods or not is debatable. Also Ragnarok is basically a cycle, every 2000 years or so, it happens, the gods die, but then they get reborn. The current Thor was, as Mikey said, was punished by Odin to live as a mortal in order to learn humility, but he managed to accidently come across Mjollnir which returned his powers, though it was some time before he really remembered who he was. So he did the superhero thing in the mean time, and I guess he liked it, so he stuck with it even after he learned his true nature.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So is Marvel Thor anywhere near as cool as "real" Thor?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sionnach Glic wrote:So is Marvel Thor anywhere near as cool as "real" Thor?
No. He's a lot more moral (side-effect of the whole superhero gig, I guess) and while he has the same destructive capability, he is a lot more of a person with divine abilities and lot less of a destructive force of nature personified.

Plus, Marvel Thor doesn't, AFAIK, have a flying chariot pulled by demon goats which cause thunder and lightning. ;)
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aw. :(
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, he does have a chariot. Not sure who pulls it, though.

Okay, just got back from the movie. Saw it with my friends. Pretty damned good, there. Liked the minimal use of shaky-cam.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Liked the minimal use of shaky-cam.
That was easilly my second favorite part.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:
Sionnach Glic wrote:So is Marvel Thor anywhere near as cool as "real" Thor?
No. He's a lot more moral...
I'd say that makes him considerably cooler, but that's just my opinion. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

I think personally that by introducing Thor marvel are going a step too far - they'll soon run into super hero apathy with the general unwashed masses. He's a bit of a niche character is he not? I had heard of iron man and all the rest when I was growing up up but thor just wasn't on the radar over here unless you read the comics (which I obviously didn't)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It sounds like you think Thor was a recent idea for Marvel. He is not. Thor was first introduced as a Marvel character in 1962.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think he means the films. Let's face it - Thor isn't exactly one of the most well known superheroes around.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Which I agree with.

I can see why Marvel is doing it though. Spiderman has run its course. After that last one I have trouble seeing them ever making another. Hulk never went anywhere. Right now Ironman is their one on going franchise they can milk. They want another. Personally I don't think Thor is the guy though. The guy LOOKS like a 60's comic book hero.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The idea behind Thor is The Avengers. In the Marvel universe, Thor is one of the most closely associated with that team, other than Hank Pym - and let's face it, if you had to make a movie about the mighty deity of thunder and berserker combat - or about a guy who can shrink and talk to bugs - I know where the box office is going.
as Bull offed Custer