In the embers of the dominion war

Deep Space Nine
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: In the embers of the dominion war

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:Towing a starbase just seems... unfeasible.

*EDIT* Thinking about it now, I think it seems fair to say that one tug ain't gonna do the trick. So, you have a group of tugs all remora-ed onto a starbase. Now if there is even a tiny deviation in course from one tug to the other - that is, they all don't remain PERFECTLY parallel - you tear a giant hole in the side of the starbase.
Apparently in the DS9 Relaunch books, Empok Nor was towed to the Bajoran system using a small task force of Starships
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Okay, so one small station takes a task force...

What would a fully sized Starbase take... :shock:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

A Defiant...........

:poke:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Mark wrote:Which makes me wonder why they never towed a fully armed and functional Starbase out there to replace the Cardie Station as DS9. The Cardie station being Bajoran could have been put back into Bajor orbit for planetary use.
I'd wonder why they didn't melt down the DS9 computer, and install a pure Federation computer. No hidden programs, no surprises, and the interface is well-known. Also, by making the Bajorans dependant on Federation technology and training, it binds them closer to the Federation.

Also, when DS9 gets lost to the Dominion, I'd have had one person down there by the computer core, with some sort of grenade. Presto, the main weapons control, sensors, shields, communications, etc are now off-line until a new computer arrives (and they figure out the interfaces), but a distributed life support system can still run.

DS9 is captured, but it is relatively worthless as a base, and in fact requires a fleet to defend it until the systems are repaired/replaced.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Mikey wrote:Towing a starbase just seems... unfeasible.

*EDIT* Thinking about it now, I think it seems fair to say that one tug ain't gonna do the trick. So, you have a group of tugs all remora-ed onto a starbase. Now if there is even a tiny deviation in course from one tug to the other - that is, they all don't remain PERFECTLY parallel - you tear a giant hole in the side of the starbase.
Apparently in the DS9 Relaunch books, Empok Nor was towed to the Bajoran system using a small task force of Starships
I don't believe those books are canon. In any event, as Deep said Empok Nor is a pittance compared to the size of a starbase. In addition, there is a widely accepted assumption that Cardie industrial capability was wanting compared to the UFP. It is eminently possible that the Cardies couldn't construct something like that in situ, and as an alternative were willing to accept the risks to tow it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:In addition, there is a widely accepted assumption that Cardie industrial capability was wanting compared to the UFP. It is eminently possible that the Cardies couldn't construct something like that in situ, and as an alternative were willing to accept the risks to tow it.
I think he's talking about the Feds moving Empok Nor to the Bajoran system. Why, I've no idea. Replacement for DS9? Backup? To show off? Anyway, none of that changes the main point about the books being non-canon.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

My bad - I always get the Cardie names mixed up, I thought he was talking about Terok Nor. Anyway, that's a little different - there's no decision between building on site or building then moving, as Empok Nor was already built.
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:In addition, there is a widely accepted assumption that Cardie industrial capability was wanting compared to the UFP. It is eminently possible that the Cardies couldn't construct something like that in situ, and as an alternative were willing to accept the risks to tow it.
I think he's talking about the Feds moving Empok Nor to the Bajoran system. Why, I've no idea. Replacement for DS9? Backup? To show off? Anyway, none of that changes the main point about the books being non-canon.
While the books are non-canon most of them are written by people who are at least somewhat knowledgable about the universe, probably far more so than you and I, and it shows that somewhere the idea of using starships to tow starbases was brought up. Also, the station was moved pretty much to be easier to access for spare parts. DS9's reactor was sabotaged early in the books, so they took the one from Empok Nor and brought the station along.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sonic Glitch wrote:While the books are non-canon most of them are written by people who are at least somewhat knowledgable about the universe, probably far more so than you and I, and it shows that somewhere the idea of using starships to tow starbases was brought up.
The idea may have been brought up, but there's no evidence that something that big can be towed by anything the Feds have available, even in combination.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:While the books are non-canon most of them are written by people who are at least somewhat knowledgable about the universe, probably far more so than you and I, and it shows that somewhere the idea of using starships to tow starbases was brought up.
The idea may have been brought up, but there's no evidence that something that big can be towed by anything the Feds have available, even in combination.
Which again, does not mean that it's not possible it just means that the writers have never had cause to show us it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It doesn't matter how knowledgeable about the universe someone is... an idea that's in the novels but not on the show is as canon as the idea of having Sisko ride a flying unicorn through the glaxy.

Besides, I've already demostrated how and why it may be possible but not preferrable in most circumstances, save this one of having Empok Nor already built and relatively local.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

A Starbase in deep space CANNOT be simply constructed without any support facilities. And what happens if an area with a starbase needs to be evacuated? Do they send enough ships to evacuate the station and just abandon it? Or do they send high powered tugs to rescue the entire base? We've seen that a starbase can reduce it's internal mass for easy movement (ie DS9 in Emissary), so much so that its own thrusters can move it. Six or eight tugs latched onto the "top" of the "mushroom head" could easily move it.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

How fast though? If you just move it from one side of a system to another, fair enough, but to evacuate as I think you're suggesting you'd need to got to warp, which we've only even seen implied once (the tug and the Ex). It's too much faff, is unlikely to be possible anyway give then size of the thing, and would be simpler, quicker, and safer to evacuate and blow the station. Alternatively, if this is a mainly civilian-populated installation with a few military in charge, then you could simply surrender it (with or without a fight) depending on the strategic situation.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Fair enough.......but then how are Starbases deployed along hostile frontiers? Surely not being constucted there within reach of a hostile power while under construction.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Why not? That's how fortresses have always been constructed. Not only is "hostile" not a synonym for "constant warfare", but even in wartime fortress have frequently had to be constructed or repaired in the face of an active enemy. Siege warfare also involved tremendous construction activity. It's a matter of using your own army to cover the operation.