Fighter or Fodder?

Deep Space Nine
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I always felt that the Delta Flyer would make an excelent heavy fighter/gunship. A smaller version would be perfect for fighters.

And I doubt it would be particularly hard to build a dedicated carrier. As someone already pointed out, Trek shuttles don't require an extensive launch period. The only time you'd have to wait is for re arming the craft with any torpedoes it may be carrying.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If you took the delta flyer and mod' it to a single seat heavy fighter. It would be able to carry a massive payload. Forward facing dual type V phasers (replacing the type IV's) and a pair of rapid fire MPTL's with say, 100 rounds. Then maybe even a bomb bay of some kind for heavy warheads useful for capitol ships or smaller bomblets for ground support. :D

I put thought into what I thought a true starfleet carrier would be like. I put it in the ship design forum. I had also modeled the fighters I wanted to us after the delta flyer. With the ability of warp and a heavy weapons load. You could do some damage with a few squads of these.
Last edited by Deepcrush on Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So much potential, so underused. :(
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The Delta flyer was a great craft. But it to was a jack of all trades rather than just one thing.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

But it was still better then the standard starfleet fighter. With some good mod, it could be twice the power of the standard starfleet fighter.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, tear out all the useless parts of the ship and you have one excelent fighter, and you could probably knock the size down a bit too.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But when you think about it the Delta was designed by some pretty good people.

And ex drone with knowledge far superior to almost anyones elses.

Tuvok who has a good mind for strategy and such.

Paris who is a good pilot if nothing else.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, one usefull thing Voyager did. :wink:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

No, i'd leave the size, only change the equipment. Plus some armor.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think for general production purposes, I would replace Paris' nostalgic joysticks with some "normal" 24th century control interfaces. Probably re-route and "dumb down" some interfaces as well, to make it a two-man rather than three-man crew.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

BTW, also add somewhat more of an airfoil - as I have said, one of the great uses of fighters which Starfleet failed to grasp is in atmospheric/strike ops.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Actually, Paris' control interface is a better idea. The human mind learns easier when it can associate touch with actions, you don't get that from a Trek interface. Also, it allows for more rapid responses.
Modern militaries could replace fighter controls with Trek style touch screens, but they don't. There is a reason behind this.
Last edited by Sionnach Glic on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Why would you fly in atmosphere unless landing. You can easily fire from space.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Close up support. What if there's heavy jamming? What if the target area is obscured? What if you need very acurate shots? There's plenty of reasons to have dedicated atmospheric support.
Although I don't think the Flyer is the right ship for the job.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

No, it isn't 'the right ship' but it is a ship that can do the job. And i agree that the flight systems should stay the same. A two person version of the delta heavy fighter would be fine but there should be the option to only have to use a single pilot.