Why do Borg vessels lack shields?

The Next Generation
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

You're forgetting that the borg can spontaneously construct and deconstruct purpose built facilities in their vessels.

It may explain any size discrepancies between borg vessels of one class - ie sphere or cube. If they can regenerate their ship as easily as they did during Q Who? then I think that they can manage.
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well there would be no reason to keep them all the same size. Build them as you need them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

In the comentary for the Borg episode of Enterprise the writer said he was going to make the Borg cubes and spheres capture enemy vessels and break down their ships to expand the Borg's. That would explain where they get all that extra matter to rebuild from but I personally didn't like the idea of a snowball effect Borg ship.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I like it for repairing damage and minor modifications but I dont want for them to have a HUGE ship thats taken over several worlds.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Its possible they would not be able to supply power to such a large vessel.
From what we've seen, borg ships likely have a bit more power than other race's vessels. If they do break up enemy vessels and build up the cube from it, its possible they may not be able to use non-borg power sources or that they may not be powerfull enough. Also, they may not carry extra reactors or the parts to build them.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Maybe the Borg have kick as replicators and are thus able to repair super fast and just about anything.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Possible. I don't see any problem with that theory.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Truthfully, do the borg vessels we see even NEED shields?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Bryan Moore wrote:Truthfully, do the borg vessels we see even NEED shields?
We saw the damage done to an unshielded cube by just three phaser blasts in "Q Who?" - several large craters blasted in the surface, and damage to 20% of the ship.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Truthfully, do the borg vessels we see even NEED shields?
Yes. Shields can prevent damage that would otherwise be caused. Even if the damage caused is minimal, it still needs to be repaired and could damage something important that could be needed for the ships survival.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Also shields from natural ion storm and stuff.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Every other species seems to need at LEAST some form of navigational deflector to avoid impact with normal debris and space-borne matter at warp speeds. No matter how well a Borg ship is able to repair itself, hitting a rock at Warp 9.5 will inacpacitate a ship for some time, if not worse.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Hitting a rock at warp would totally destroy the ship. The amount of energy involved is huge.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt - you're supporting my point, I'm just trying to avoid any "we don't know Borg metallurgy" arguments.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We kinda do. We know how powerful the Galaxy class phasers are and we know how much of the Cube got vaporised in the first encounter. You could probably work out the metal strengh by that if you could be bothered. But then you could argue that they have assimilated new metal tech since then.