Today I Watched...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by IanKennedy »

I don't think it was a direct remake, just a movie that was effectively the exact same plot with a different name. I can't even remember what it was called now. I seem to think it was set in Scotland.

I half think it was called "Doomsday".

There was also "Escape from LA".

https://eu.gainesville.com/story/news/2 ... 573655007/
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:19 pm I don't think it was a direct remake, just a movie that was effectively the exact same plot with a different name. I can't even remember what it was called now. I seem to think it was set in Scotland.

I half think it was called "Doomsday".

There was also "Escape from LA".

https://eu.gainesville.com/story/news/2 ... 573655007/
I did see Escape from LA years ago, decades ago actually. I don't even remember much about it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: I really enjoyed the first film in this trilogy. It was not at all what I expected it to be, and the soundtrack was used seamlessly with the action driving the plot. Just so much fun even on multiple reviewing. The second film was much less entertaining as a whole. There were moments, but not nearly reaching the same level of fun as the first film. Now onto film three...so much to dislike it is difficult to choose what to mention first. Too long, too heavy-handed, too dark, and completely missing any fun. The one liners now and again, seemed forced and tired. Gunn had all the right chemistry going in the first film and by the third, it was right up there with his dismantling of the DC universe in the level of 'wtf?'. I sooo wanted to love this ...daymn it!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Transformers Rise of the Beasts: set in the time between Bumblebee and the first Transformers film, this one features 'animal' robots, which for me, were fun but not as interesting as the dino-bots. The human cast is lacking a certain spark, and one of the new featured Autobots is voiced by Pete Davidson which amps the annoyance factor super high. Ron Perlman voices the lead animla/gorilla, while Michelle Yeoh voices the falcon. Much of the plot is clunky, cgi is abundant and not as slick as previous versions, while the final battle is the best of the bunch. Wish it was better, but alas, another stinker.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Transformers I saw it, but long ago gave up on the Franchise. If I hadn't needed it to fill a gap between other movies, and it wasn't effectively free for me to watch, I likely wouldn't have bothered.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, did feel a little stilted. The arguing was annoying, but I somewhat excused it due to Gamora demise. If it wasn't for the fact that the film opens by magically bringing her back almost immediately.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The Transporter 1-3 (Statham), 4 (not Statham): lots of fancy fight scenes and speedy driving in beautiful locations...weak plots, silly dialogue, perfect for stormy afternoons with plenty of popcorn and laughter.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The Flash: I was actually surprised by how much I did not hate the entire thing. Some nice moments marooned in a deep sea of bad writing. Loved 'grandpa' Batman of Keaton...with most of the thematic music being from Batman films, it seemed more like a Batman film with A LOT of Flash added in. Guess all those actors who have carved out thier characters will be wiped clean out of further projects one by one..a real shame!
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The Mechanic and Mechanic Resurrected: more Staham, same action, less shirts...good fun!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Barbie : Well it was a lot better than I expected, but still I'm not sure it deserves the explosion of interest it is generating.

Oppenheimer : Overall it was excellent apart from the initial 15-20 minutes dealing with his university years. A very off putting start to the movie. Once that is out of the way it gets interesting.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Wrath of Man: more Staham, more shirts, very dark crime thriller full of action..decent Guy Ritchie product.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:37 pm Barbie : Well it was a lot better than I expected, but still I'm not sure it deserves the explosion of interest it is generating.

Oppenheimer : Overall it was excellent apart from the initial 15-20 minutes dealing with his university years. A very off putting start to the movie. Once that is out of the way it gets interesting.
Barbie is big because of marketing and the whole thing about Barbie references. Kinda like who Super Mario Bros movie had all of those Easter eggs. I suppose there might be a feminist element too.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The Black Cauldron. Came out in 1985. It's a dark Disney movie. Part of my little quest to watch or re-watch old movies. I don't think I ever seen this one before. Anyway not a good movie. Slow. The animal that tags along sounds really suspiciously like Gollum.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Transformers - Rise of the Beasts. As far as a Transformers movie this a decent one. Peter Cullen, voice of Optimus Prime is definitely sounding old now. Also makes Optimus sounds like he is cranky now.

Anyway Mirage wasn't annoying and actually funny. Optimus Prime's track record of the initial fight with the Big Bad going south and then in the final fight overpowers the Big Bad is continuing.

The Flash. I was watching this movie trying to figure out why they decided to have two Barry Allen's. Especially one that is even more ignoring than the original. Not until the end but even then that was actually weak IMO. CGI is pretty bad. Especially the beginning with the babies. The story overall isn't bad.

Maybe if they didn't announce the discontinuation of the Synderverse for the Gunverse so early and the lead actor being not so much of a nut job it probably would have done better.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Killer Elite: Statham again...zero shirtless scenes, based on a true story...lots of action,..casting De Niro was an odd choice of wasted talent opportunity.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Ad Astra. Movie with Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones. You would think it would be interesting. It's not. Slow burn. The end is anti climatic.

Shazam 2. I still gold that the other foster kids getting their powers should have waited until this movie and not in the first one. The problem is how much do we really know these kids? The kids and then their Shazam selves. You might as well have a whole set of difference characters not related to each other.

With the exception of the oldest, the female red one who is the same. But it also brings a point where the older these kids get and look the less likely they will look like the adult versions. Like how old is Billy? 17-18? By that point he should look very much like what a fully grown adult version of himself should look like.

The end is odd. How and where did they go? Same clothes going from Philadelphia to maybe somewhere in Greece? Amazon island?

Again brings up that point since we are dealing with Greek goddesses, shouldn't Diana be involved? Shouldn't she get involved just because she would be family to the Atlas sisters in a way?