Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Thats enought for you?

Sweet I'll keep my list of reasons it wont work for another time then :P
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Please do. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Even if I don't see the Klingons or Romulans doing it, I would be a lot that the Cardassians would have both the required technological capability, and the social structure allowing it (respect for the eldery)

But I think the process of keeping one's memory would be... touchy. The mere process of Vorta cloning is delicate ennough, I can't imagine how it would be like for more complex species.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I don't think we are more complex. Just different.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I'm late chiming in on this: Consider all of the classes of ship available to the US navy, considering that new ones are made, and the idea of the big new ships are going to eventually be workhorses if successful. Then, as Graham does a nice job explaining out of conjecture on DITL, you have to consider many were made as prototypes, testbeds, etc that were not successful enough to have a whole line made after them, but are able to be converted for useful purposes. When you consider the alleged size of the Federation, the number of ships seen on screen, and the amount of different functions Starfleet performs, I'm sure there are many more classes we flat out don't see!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm...thats a good point. It would make sense.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'm always suprised at how small Starfleet is. It has a population in the tens if not hundreds of billions but it can only feild a few hundred ships possibly a thousand? I would think it would be far far more than that.

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Back on the ship discussion I'm going to name a few areas where you might need ships designed for. The idea is to show that there is reasnoing behind Star Trek's huge arsonal of ships.

Scouting-Exploring

Small Science

Large Science

Patrol Craft

Home Security

Cruiser

Troop Transport

Artilery

Battleship

Destroyer

Pocket Battleship (They do have purposes outside of breaking Armastice rules)

Small craft destroyer (similiar to an AA system)

Spying

Search and Rescue

Inflitrater

Specialization Borg ship

Light Cargo

Heavy Cargo

Space Tug

Medical

Diplomatic

Fighter / Cheaply mass produced ship

Just off the top of my head I thought of 22 reasons to have 22 different classes of ships. So the reasoning for dozens of different looking ships it out there. The problem is in Star Trek many ships serve the same purposes. If someone who knows more about Trek and has time wants to fill these classes with their Star Trek brethren by all means.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Well thought out, Monroe.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

And then you double or even triple that 22 number becuae every 30 years or so a new class will need to be brought into replce the old class but the old clas will still hang around in one roll or another for awhile. Granted the likes of Bargo ships wont be replaced quite so fast but still thats a lot of differnt ships.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thats a pretty comprehensive list there Monroe.
That kind of puts the thing in perspective.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Adding to Mr. Moore said, consider this: for all the possible types and uses of various ships, a lot of prototypes, short runs, etc., would be constructed - even if they don't work out, you don't disassemble the existing models, so those ships would still be around as their own unique classes.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:Adding to Mr. Moore said, consider this: for all the possible types and uses of various ships, a lot of prototypes, short runs, etc., would be constructed - even if they don't work out, you don't disassemble the existing models, so those ships would still be around as their own unique classes.
Thank you for the agreement, however I will unleash a pack of wild Targ upon any person other than my students to call me Mr. Moore :)

I was actually having this conversation tonight at dinner with my cousin, about how we love the Star Wars ships/fighters, but how there probably should be thousands of times MORE classes of ships than there were, if the Republic really was coposed of thousands upon thousands of worlds. The cookie-cutter design works, but for fleets THAT big, it seems we see an absurdly low number of different types of ships in the actual movies (for varous production reasons). That it probably makes the Trek universe seem far more reasonable with the different Starfleet ships.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Star wars empire was all about uniformity. Maybe they only wanted one type of ship.

Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Teaos wrote:Star wars empire was all about uniformity. Maybe they only wanted one type of ship.
Right, and due to the homo-sapiens only club that was the Imperial officer corps, it makes somewhat of sense. But the movies show as much diversity as a David Duke symposium.