Server problems

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Though I usually browse in Firefox, I tried it several times in IE to see what would happen. I did not get "Service Temporarily Unavailable" frames as in Firefox, but got stuff like this:

DITL page

I clicked on one of the LCARS-links on the top bar and got this:

DITL link
Last edited by Captain Picard's Hair on Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Though I usually browse in Firefox, I tried it several times in IE to see what would happen. I did not get "Service Temporarily Unavailable" frames as in Firefox, but got stuff like this:

DITL page

I clicked on one of the LCARS-links on the top bar and got this:

DITL link
Sorry, those links don't seem to go anywhere. I think you've missed the file reference of them, but I would like to see what you do get using IE. Feel free to email me the images.
Thanks
Ian
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

OK, I've got the HTML of the error page now. I don't need another Server Temporarily Unavailable message.
Thanks.
Ian
email, ergo spam
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Sorry, I've fixed the links.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Sorry, I've fixed the links.
Ah, the little red cross on a white background is simply IE's way of telling you it couldn't download the graphic file that is mean to be displayed at this location.
email, ergo spam
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I don't mean to pry, Hair, but what could you possibly have eleven Firefox programs open at once for?!? :shock:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

OK, Hair's fixed his setup by simply clearing out the cache and cookies on his web browser. Can others having this problem try again and let me know if fixes the issue.
Thanks
Ian
email, ergo spam
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

The situation is certainly greatly improved; while in the past it was hard for me to get an errorfree page load at all, no matter how many times I reloaded the page, now I can get a completely error free page with a reload if I do get an error. I have since realized, though, that I may get an error when I go back to the page after having been away for a bit (but only the first time I load the page)
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Can anyone tell me when this issue started (an is a date, an estimate is fine).
Thanks
Ian
email, ergo spam
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

I'd guess November, but I wouldn't weigh my guess too heavily. Before joining the site, DITL was an 'as-needed' reference visit. Trek trivia being a rarely-needed reference, I could be off by a couple of months.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

OK, we are now fairly sure we know what the issue is. It appears that people are using very high number of connections to the server. This can be caused by using Firefox plugins like Fasterfox. There are other plugins that can also cause this and there are ways of doing this in IE also.

Please could people suffering from this issue tell us what browser you are using and what plugins you have installed.
Thanks
Ian
email, ergo spam
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Firefox. Currently installed are:

ForecastFox
Greasemonkey (no scripts, though, so it shouldn't be doing anything)
IE Tab
Long Titles 1.3
PDF Download
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Jordanis wrote:Firefox. Currently installed are:

ForecastFox
IE Tab
Long Titles 1.3
PDF Download
Can you pull up a clear tab and enter about:config in the url bar and press return. Once the page displays please enter persistent in the filter box. What are the settings that are displayed as a result.
Thanks
Ian
email, ergo spam
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

IanKennedy wrote:
Jordanis wrote:Firefox. Currently installed are:

ForecastFox
IE Tab
Long Titles 1.3
PDF Download
Can you pull up a clear tab and enter about:config in the url bar and press return. Once the page displays please enter persistent in the filter box. What are the settings that are displayed as a result.
Thanks
Ian
Hmmm! network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server set to 22. I have found a source of a bunch of connections, it seems.

Set it to 6, that fixed it. It was a user set value, I wonder on whose advice I changed it in the first place, and to what end. I do not remember.

I can see the frames loading in sequence now, and I think that might be what caused the problem--there are enough individual elements in the DITL design for Firefox to really get going creating parallel connections to grab them. Then the number of connections overloads and it resets. Huh. I still wonder why it was changed.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

I do have fasterfox in Mozilla; my persistent connections per server are at 8, per proxy at 16.