Moderator: BigJKU316

BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Star Wars Sim OOC Discussion Thread

Post by BigJKU316 »

A few minor errors in the sheet.

Fleets 4 and 5 won't allow you to show any light armored troop capacity. This will be fixed at turn submission.

It is possible you may try to build a ship and its resource use will be off. I fixed this but must have missed at least one sheet I just corrected. Watch for this.

A clarification on how to deploy troops to fleets.

When you get to the troops tab there are two columns for all troop types. Deployed and at home. This is where you determine who you are shipping of to fight and die in invasions and on your ships. The grey cells are calculated. The red cells need to be filled in. If you want to take 300 legions of Wookies and deploy them then you would simply put 300 in the deployed column, they would be taken off that planet and placed on fleets. You can make sure you filled your allotment by checking across line 106 where it gives a shortage/excess number. Excess means you have not allocated them to any particular fleet yet. Shortage means you have allocated more to your fleets than you have stripped off your worlds. That number should be zero.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

A few more answers.

When you design a ship you can't build it until the next year. Even though the design process is free it will take that amount of time to go into effect. So this first year you are stuck building legacy designs if you want to build.

The row of cells labeled EIS under the shipyards heading are for me to track the progress of groups of ships being built. Ignore the values in there for now, they were from testing on may part.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Rules tweak
Capitol Ship beam weapons have a range of 12,000 KM against other capitol ships (this is not drawn from a pure cannon figure as no clear consensus seems to develop, it is based on the size of a hex map to allow fire and movement). At maximum range their effectiveness is low except in overwhelming numbers. They will be far more effective at 6,000 KM and anything 3,000 KM and in would be considered point blank range at which point equally classed ships will blast one another apart in short order. Battleships and Cruisers will have a longer effective range than Destroyers which will have a longer effective range than Frigates and Corvettes. All ships share the same maximum range, they just get more effective at different times due to the size and stability of the gun platform, the greater number of emplacements on the larger ships and the space for more advanced targeting computers.
This is to give those big ships the value they deserve. Theoretically you could mount 8-10 UHTL on a frigate and spam a bunch of them. But in real life (as far as Star Wars goes) your hit chances with such a small battery at long range would be fairly low. This will get us that result in the simplest manner. I had thought about adding something to the combat sheet to determine your chances of hitting based on the number of emplacements but that was too complicated. This gets us the same result in a much simpler way.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

A few other housekeeping notes.

Since someone asked yes there will be a max on concussion and photon torps on fighters. For simplicity sake lets just call it a dozen of any one missile type on a fighter as the most you can carry.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Hey Stitch! Look who's next to me again! :laughroll:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

For tactical battles.

The maximum number of groups on the map for one power is 16. That includes fighters. That should be sufficient as you can have no more than 18 total ship types anyway. If you want maximum flexibility in your groupings consider using less total ship types in any given fleet.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Another bit of surgery to the combat rules. When I started creating the sheet I use to resolve combat actions I decided to handle shields and ion cannons a bit differently. The changes are made but basically it gives Ion Cannons more value than they had but they are by no means essential. As you start to damage ships their shields are reduced anyway by regular old damage. The Ion Cannon route just gives you another option in how you elect to approach combat. Just see the combat rules for the change.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Is there a way to "take over" an NPC planet peacefully?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Yes....you can send Ewoks in as your troops :P

What do you all think of may "name"?

"Confederacy of Kuat"???

All must beware the CoK.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

You just couldn't wait to use that could you! :poke:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Deepcrush wrote:You just couldn't wait to use that could you! :poke:

I've been waiting all day :P
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

stitch626 wrote:Um... hello everyone. I am the... uh, temporary foreign affairs minister for the Sovereignty of Sullust. We have been going through a little bit of a... um, rough patch, with the stepping down of the previous ruling family and all that. However things have... um, returned to normal.

Well, thats really all I have to report... I uh will probably be replaced shortly, once the new family has hired their staff.
:lol: Truly, we have been shown the greatest threat to the galaxy thus far here.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

You never know, it could be a danger in waiting.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

The short answer for the peaceful acquisition thing is that it is possible. If you show up in large force and make an offer the small planets might just give up. The bigger planets likely won't be so easily convinced though. I still need to think through if there is a definitive way for me to write out a rule on who might peacefully give in and under what circumstances. But in short it can't hurt to show up in force and ask a question or two.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Turns today please.