Ship of the week: Dominion Bug Fighter

Deep Space Nine
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Regarding the Ketracel proudction, I find it more likely that the Dominion were contracting the So'na to supply KW in the AQ/BQ only in the event that they lost control of the wormhole. The idea that they couldn't produce the necassary quantaties themselves seems wrong to me.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

True point as that would make sense. The dominion would need large amounts of KW to control that AQ due to its size and the need of its armies and fleets needed to maintain control over everyone.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And relying on keeping control of one vital area to win the war would be very stupid.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The KW is the biggest problem for the dominion. If a fleet spent all of its time launching raids against breeding plants and KW production centers the dominion would have one hell of a hard time marching its own offensive. Starfleets forces are in truth well built for a type of fleet to launch raids and pirate actions against an enemy.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

But by keeping the KW rear and hard to get they ensure total loyalty and a easy way to destroy a rebel group.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

But it also cuts down on the number of targets an enemy needs to take out before you're out of KW.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

But by keeping the KW rear and hard to get they ensure total loyalty and a easy way to destroy a rebel group.
True. But it also means it takes longer to supply your troops. It also means it has to come through a choke point. It also means that these locations will become major targets. It also means the forces in the AQ/BQ will be completely dependant on keeping control of the wormhole.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The carrier would allow for longer tours, shorter resupply drouts and provide refite & repair in the field. It would also cut back on the loss of KW if a plant is lost as much of it would have already been placed aboard carriers for transport. Carriers also mean a safer transit as its a lot hard to take down a ship the size of a battleship then a small cargo freighter.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Keeping it in select locations has its benifits and so does making it on ships. Thye just choose the ones they think are best. And being that they are xenophopic and think all solids are out to get them I'd guess they choose to keep it rear so they had total control.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

And to keep the Jem'Hadar from getting to it...

I know what behemoths thos battleships are, but I still can't believe that it's safer to stow the White on a front-line warship than in a rear echelon. And I also don't believe that the benefits in tour length, etc., would be that much improved by being ship-borne for a FULLY warp-capable ship.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Keeping it in select locations has its benifits and so does making it on ships.
Oh, I agree completely that having manufaturing facilities for the KW is rather stupid.

But the costs of having a handfull of production facilities far from the frontlines far outweighs the benefits. Having them closer to the front (but certainly not on warships) would be a far better idea.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It does seem more practical but you can see why the xenophobic founders keep it limited.

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If the founders keep the supply lines long and drawn out then they risk horrible losses if the KW is ever cut off. It becomes a weakness for them rather then part of their strength.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They dont care about loses though.

Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

the Dominion do care about loses, they might seem callous,regarding the jem'hadar as a statistic but clearly if the dominion didn't care about loses,they would be inept and irresponsible, which is no way to found or maintain such a hegemony
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay