DS9 and Money

Deep Space Nine
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: DS9 and Money

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:
Mark wrote:I have a simple question. How does a human like Cassidy Yates buy her own ship? Following that theory, she would have to work her entire life for non-humans to make enough to buy that ship OR she could simply ask "Earth" for one, and it would be provided cost free. In which case everyone who wanted their own ship would have one, and there would be no off planet human labor force.
Perhaps it's merely starfleet that doesn't have money? (yes, I'm reaching here) instead they have some sort of credit based on the standard federation unit that can then be converted into the local currency?

The second part of that statement contradicts the first part. Credit, just like paper money, is based on promissory value. Credit is a function of a money-based economy, just like currency.
Well, my argument was that officers working for starfleet, at least those that we see do not normally need any actual money because of.. whatever the quasi-communist economic plan they have (i.e. they get first pick of the resources available or something like that) BUT the Federation at large does have money, and Starfleet is intelligent enough (ha) to realize that other empires would use legal tender and would set aside some sort of stipend/credit fund for its officers for use when they come into contact with a civilization using money or a civilian. I.E. A starfleet officer working on a starship or otherwise employed by the Federation would not need money but if he retired or wanted to go place a few bets on the Dabo wheel he would.

(yes it's a stretch, but what isn't when talking about the Fed economy)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I sse what you're saying, but we go back to Crusher buying personal luxury items - not something for professional use or even mission-related. If she used such a "slush funD" as you mention for that purpose, that's basically the same thing as getting paid - receiving money to do with as you please, by dint of your position.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:I sse what you're saying, but we go back to Crusher buying personal luxury items - not something for professional use or even mission-related. If she used such a "slush funD" as you mention for that purpose, that's basically the same thing as getting paid - receiving money to do with as you please, by dint of your position.
Which, I suppose, goes back to the :bangwall: nature of trying to figure out the Federation economy... :bangwall:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Again, I feel that they MUST have money. My personal guess is they don't have a hard currency like the Ferengi, but a "credit" system (which would jibe with Crushers statement). Said "credit" system works well within the Federation where everyone is willing to accept "credits" as the standard form of commerce, but when dealing with outside species (ie the Ferengi), you must have hard currency because the Federation "Credit" would be utterly useless without anything to back it up. That would allow for "moneychangers" to flourish, and would also explain how services and cash could be rendered between the Fed and her neighbors.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

By "no currency" they could just mean "no physical currency". They may still use an electronic form of transactions, where everything is bought via credit card.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I can see Trek working on a virtual banking system, sorta like a "neural net".
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sionnach Glic wrote:By "no currency" they could just mean "no physical currency". They may still use an electronic form of transactions, where everything is bought via credit card.
Makes sense. Unfortunately, Picard's statements said no "money" specifically. Credit - depending on your POV - either is money or is predicated on it.
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Reliant121 wrote:I can see Trek working on a virtual banking system, sorta like a "neural net".
AR banking? ;) Cool, but it's just a way to manage money - so money must exist to use such a thing.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Makes sense. Unfortunately, Picard's statements said no "money" specifically. Credit - depending on your POV - either is money or is predicated on it.
I think it would, however, handily explain Kirk's comment in STIV about 1986 "still using money" despite the clear evidence of a real economy still existing at the time - he wasn't used to the physical form. TNG's far clearer about the fact that not only physical money but the very concept is gone.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Certainly does help explain that case. In the case of no money in TNG and then its ready availability in DS9, not so much.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Maybe... Picard was just BSing Offenhouse and trying to deflate his ego a bit? *Shrugs*
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mikey wrote:
Sionnach Glic wrote:By "no currency" they could just mean "no physical currency". They may still use an electronic form of transactions, where everything is bought via credit card.
Makes sense. Unfortunately, Picard's statements said no "money" specifically. Credit - depending on your POV - either is money or is predicated on it.
It's possible he just meant "money as you'd know it". If there really was a big shift if the way transactions were done, then it the quote could still work.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Possible, but it seems very strongly that the implication - in both the cryo-satellite ep and in FC - that Picard's implication was that "we don't have money or a commerce system anymore, you primitive savages."
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, that one was pretty clear. Hence our problem.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I'm still not sure Picard wasn't simply trying to take the piss out of Offenhouse.