Death Star weapons question

Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Well I want to see this as a conflict where each side gains an advantage for a while, but eventually loses it. Sort of a king of the hill type war. With the occasional peace, and/or with the 'hero' characters trying to keep the war from starting again.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I have no problem with characters dieing. I do have problems with poor writing, pathetic enemies, uninspired plots, all of which the NJO contained.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Rochey wrote:I have no problem with characters dieing. I do have problems with poor writing, pathetic enemies, uninspired plots, all of which the NJO contained.
I could go on for hours about the NJO... Hours and hours...

I don't mind characters dying either. I do mind cannon fodder killings for the sheer hell of it to up the body counts-I'm looking at you, Star By Star and Troy Denning!

Monroe, the pre-NJO series were actually a lot more varied than the stereotype. The NJO, Dark Nest Trilogy and Legacy of the Force series have been three very similar plots, the last one a bad prequel rehash-and ponder how much it has to suck to be worse than the prequels.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I've read about 80 Star Wars books, the bulk of which were after Endor. I stopped reading when NJO series ended so I haven't read anything since.

So yes, from my perspective NJO was an original plot :P What little I know about the Darknest series you seem to be right. That and there was a Diversity Alliance already several years prior.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I don't mind characters dying either. I do mind cannon fodder killings for the sheer hell of it to up the body counts-I'm looking at you, Star By Star and Troy Denning!
What happened in Star By Star?
I can't remember if I read it or not.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Coruscant, Anakin, bunch of lesser known Jedi, and few generals all died. I really liked the book but was disappointed Anakin died. He was such a bad ass in the earlier books.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, okay then.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:
What happened in Star By Star?
I can't remember if I read it or not.
To expand upon Monroe's synopsis above...

The Vong intro these things called Voxyn, which are Jedi killers. They kill off several Jedi-including Lusa and Lyric, giving two of my favorite characters BS endings. Off the page with maybe a half-page for Lusa and a frikkin' line for Lyric.

Because, you know, with the OT people getting up there in years... we don't need any new characters with established cred and backstory. No, no. Better to give them meaningless deaths in every sense of the word.

Several next gen. characters get sent to Myrkr on the most asinine mission to destroy the Voxyn Queen-because the Vong clone them and somehow they just can't... reclone them. Redshirts ahoy!

Can you feel the hate I have for these books yet? ;)

Anyway, the Vong move onto Coruscant and despite half the NRDF being in orbit of the most heavily fortified planet of Known Space, Supreme Commander Sien Sovv still manages to lose the planet.

And Anakin Solo, the only next gen. character to get proper character evolution, is killed because...

1. They don't want people to confuse him with Anakin Skywalker.

2. They wanna 'shake things up a bit'.

3. They like shooting themselves in the foot.

4. They're bleeping idiots.

5. Plan ahead? What's that mean?

Take your pick. They're all semi-legit reasons at least.

oh, and Mara acts like a rhymes-with-witch to Leia after Leia feels her youngest son die.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, that makes me even more glad I stopped reading those books.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:Well, that makes me even more glad I stopped reading those books.
If the NJO is the bottom of the barrel, Dark Nest and Legacy of the Force are removing the barrel and getting heavy mining equipment ready...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Just when you think you hit rock bottom someone pulls out a shovel.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

My first SW books were the Rogue Squadron books. I liked them and kept reading SW books. i probably read 30+ in total. I picked up Vector Prime (the first of the New Jedi Order/Vong invasion). I figured, great a new series to keep me in love with this universe. I fought to get through about 250 pages of it... Not only did I hate it so much I didn't finish it... I didn't get another New Jedi Order book, NOR have I EVER read another SW book. That book actually forced me out of the SW universe. It was like chewing tin-foil.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Jim wrote:
My first SW books were the Rogue Squadron books. I liked them and kept reading SW books. i probably read 30+ in total. I picked up Vector Prime (the first of the New Jedi Order/Vong invasion). I figured, great a new series to keep me in love with this universe. I fought to get through about 250 pages of it... Not only did I hate it so much I didn't finish it... I didn't get another New Jedi Order book, NOR have I EVER read another SW book. That book actually forced me out of the SW universe. It was like chewing tin-foil.
I quit about halfway through the Dark Nest trilogy myself.

And the Rogue Squadron books rock. Who was your favorite character?
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I quit about halfway through the Dark Nest trilogy myself.

And the Rogue Squadron books rock. Who was your favorite character?
Oh wow, that was a LONG time ago... I would have to go back and look. I liked a lot of the characters, but I do not think I loved any. I think that was one of the reasons I liked the series so much. I didn't just like one or two characters and the res was filler... I actually liked everything rather equally. Not all the books were great, but the series overall was a big thumbs up for entertainment value.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

My favorite character was Vape. He was Garik "Face" Loran's R2 unit. Can't beat a droid who can launch a drink in the air. "Vape, cold one."