Sisko's Worst Command Decisions

Deep Space Nine
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Sisko's Worst Command Decisions

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:I just grouped these to make it easier. If, as you say, the Visions were caused by the brain damage. Then how valid the visions were is in question. However, that changes the question too "Did the damage make him more open to the Prophets?" In the end, he still acted on information that no one should have known unless informed by the Prophets.

Its remains a matter of intel, he wanted it and was willing to pay the cost. Though to what ends those costs should or could be, we can agree to disagree as a matter of personal choice. If thats fair with you?
The issue I have is whether or not the visions were intelligence at all, or simply hallucinations. It's clear that Sisko thought they were visions, but given that all Prophet encounters have taken the form of images of acquaintances talking in riddles, not visions of locusts as metaphors, I think there's a strong degree of doubt that they actually were.
I never said that. I said the two are different.
Fair enough.
Good to know that we, in the history of Earth, have never targeted civilians in the effort to end a war... :P
I didn't say anything about whether or not we've done so historically - I pointed out that such actions are illegal under the Geneva Conventions.
You've proved nothing. His plan wasn't to let them all go happy and free. His plan was to send a message. His plan worked. End of story unless you have something to throw in that changes this fact.
Again, Halabja sent a message as well. However, messages of that nature are not acceptable in the civilised world.
Errr, wrong! It doesn't work that way. Get a f***ing life. If you can't get your nose out of a book and into the real world. This isn't wiki, its war. People die, accept that much or just don't get involved in anything where the topic of war may come up.
Oh people die all right. How exactly does this excuse the mass murder of civilians?
A child, strapped with explosives or being used as a human shield, is still a threat. Threats are to be removed, there and then. No questions, no letting them walk into your base or into a school since you can't do the job. Do what you have to do, then go to your tent and cry about it later. Really thats all you can do. Shoot now, cry afterwards and if you ever get over it. You may be able to stomach a joke about it or some dumbass civi telling you what they believe is right should be more important then the lives of your squad or platoon or just the real world in general.
If the child's attacking you, then they're not a civilian - they're a combatant. If the child's being used as a human shield, try shooting round them if possible, but if they die it was the individual who used them as a shield who is legally responsible for their deaths. How exactly do these examples relate to Sisko directly targeting the civilian population of the Maquis world. They weren't attacking him, nor were they being used as a shield by any who were.
Sisko did what he did in order to stop genocide.
This does not excuse the genocide he attempted to commit.
Only in texts books. Real combat, no one gives a f**k. You kill the enemy, or they kill you and your friends beside you. Simple as can be. Sisko made a combat decision, and it worked. Again, simple as can be.
Killing the enemy is fine. Murdering a bunch of civilians who never fired a shot at you and have fuck-all to to with the war other than happening to live in the combat zone is not fine.
Since more people died do to enslavement then did Sisko's actions. If one is okay, then they are both okay. If you get to break a law, so does he. The difference is that what was done here was for a better reason then "because we can".
1) Which law did I ever say a thing about breaking?
2) Where did I ever say a thing about slavery?
But, it got the job done didn't it. England got to be a part of the greatest genocide in human history. Considering you praise all the times in which England violated its own laws and codes of "honor". Why is this any different? Shouldn't you be proud of all this?
Being proud of what my country accomplished is an entirely different kettle of fish from letting it off scott-free from genocide.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I have sent the list in. Thanks to everyone. *Sits back and watches the debate*
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Mikey wrote:
SomosFuga wrote: How they aren't?
Really? You really think press-gangs and disputed taxation policies are equivalent to chemical and biological warfare conducted against civilians?
Ok, maybe not the taxation but the slavery yes, for the victims and their families is quite comparable IMO.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SomosFuga wrote:Ok, maybe not the taxation but the slavery yes, for the victims and their families is quite comparable IMO.
What slavery? We were talking about the press-gang, nothing more than conscription.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I suppose one could consider being shanghaied as equivalent to slavery (although I would call it more akin to indentured servitude, as men press-ganged into service were accomodated the same quarters, rations, salary, etc. as any other sailors) but I can't see that limited form of it as equivalent to WMD's against civilian targets.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Captain Seafort wrote:
SomosFuga wrote:Ok, maybe not the taxation but the slavery yes, for the victims and their families is quite comparable IMO.
What slavery? We were talking about the press-gang, nothing more than conscription.
This is what i quoted in the first place:
Captain Seafort wrote:
you agree with the Royal Navy sailing around and slaving for sailors and over taxing its colonies.
How are these remotely comparable to using chem-bio weapons against civilians?
if i'm wrong in my reading of
sailing around and slaving for sailors
then i apologize, if not, i maintain what i said.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Forced to live in service of another under threat of violence... Its slavery. Simple fact, move along.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Aka conscription, the draft, national service, call it what you will. If you don't like it that's your problem. Get over it.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Aka conscription, the draft, national service, call it what you will. If you don't like it that's your problem. Get over it.
It wasn't a draft or national service. It was one country coming in and taking slaves by force from another. Get a history book.

English and French ships came in and took US citizens hostage and forced them to work as slaves aboard their ships. End of story.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I'm pretty sure that press ganging was common to every Navy at the time.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Cpl Kendall wrote:I'm pretty sure that press ganging was common to every Navy at the time.
You'd be wrong.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Looks like the Brits stopped it in 1814 and that it was pretty damned unpopular at home and abroad.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Captain Seafort wrote:Aka conscription, the draft, national service, call it what you will. If you don't like it that's your problem. Get over it.
National service to a country that is not your own = Slavery.
Cpl Kendall wrote:I'm pretty sure that press ganging was common to every Navy at the time.
That is not the point.

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

SomosFuga wrote:
National service to a country that is not your own = Slavery.
Actually the proper term would be indentured servitude. They were paid. There were also rules and regs on how they could be treated. The Captain couldn't just come in and rape you ala a plantation owner.

That is not the point.
I'm going to be perfectly honest. I don't give a crap what the point is, it was over two hundred years ago. Why in the fuck are we arguing (and getting pissed) over shit that has absolutely no bearing on today? Are the big bad British going to come and force you to serve on the Daring?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Actually, disregard my previous post(s). Had a moment there or something. Apologies.