What happens when the Romulans learn they've been tricked?

Deep Space Nine
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What happens when the Romulans learn they've been tricked?

Post by Mark »

IIRC, Garak arranged for his ship to have a "malfunction" after he departed.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

kostmayer wrote:Also, its not inconcievable that the Dominion would find out why the Romulans joined the war - the Dominion did have excellent intelligent sources. If they got a look at the evidence fabricated by Garak, they would realise the meeting never happened. The Dominion would then no doubt go looking for the proof in order to disrupt the alliance between the Romulans and the Federation. Even after the war ended, the Dominion might want to expose the deal as an act of revenge
This is all well and good but what the hell are the Romulans or the Dominion going to do about it? That answer is a big load of nothing.

The RSE is in such bad shape that being wrecked would be an improvement.

The Dominion isn't much better off plus the UFP holds DS9 and the wormhole again.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

You may well be right, I was addressing the question of how the Romulans might find out in the first place.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Oh, then most likely some spy that comes across a random file. It will be tough though... we all know how great SF security is... :roll:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

kostmayer wrote:What I meant was, how did Garak kill and dispose of the forger. Would Odo not have been curious if he turned up dead somewhere on the station after the incident at Quarks?
Sure he would (presuming it wasn't rigged to look like an accident, that is). But there's nothing linking the murder to Garak or Sisko. If anything, Quark would be the #1 suspect.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

kostmayer wrote:What I meant was, how did Garak kill and dispose of the forger. Would Odo not have been curious if he turned up dead somewhere on the station after the incident at Quarks?
Please, this is Garek we're talking about, do we really think he'd make such an amateur mistake like leaving evidence which could be linked to him around?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, Garak is probably almost as good as a guy from New Jersey at dumping a body.
kostmayer wrote:The Dominion would then no doubt go looking for the proof in order to disrupt the alliance between the Romulans and the Federation. Even after the war ended, the Dominion might want to expose the deal as an act of revenge.
True or not, why would the Romulans believe anything the Dominion has to say on the matter?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

And again I ask, WHAT RECORD???? None exist, unless they were somehow able to reconstruct Sisko's deleted log. Otherwise, they MAY be able to pull something off a holosuite computer that is open to the public??????
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mark wrote:And again I ask, WHAT RECORD???? None exist, unless they were somehow able to reconstruct Sisko's deleted log. Otherwise, they MAY be able to pull something off a holosuite computer that is open to the public??????
Sisko was working under SFHQ, normally HQ has a record of what they are doing.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Deepcrush wrote:
Mark wrote:And again I ask, WHAT RECORD???? None exist, unless they were somehow able to reconstruct Sisko's deleted log. Otherwise, they MAY be able to pull something off a holosuite computer that is open to the public??????
Sisko was working under SFHQ, normally HQ has a record of what they are doing.
"Normally" -- but do we think that SF, and the UFP, the Moral Pillar of the Galaxy (ask them, they'll tell you), would keep records of a tactic of dubious morality and almost certain illegality? Even if they did it's probably classified and buried so deep that the POTUFP (think POTUS but edit it correctly) would probably need a dozen different background checks to even find out if it exists.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

These guys keep records of everything they have ever done on every ship they have ever built. Finding the file would be like finding a snowflake in the Arctic Circle.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

We've seen Picard erase records of incoming transmissions before - in Conspiracy I think (when's that coming out on Blu Ray, I want to see Remmicks head explode in Hi Def). I would assume its very possible to erase any record of the mission at Starfleet HQ - if they decided to erase it rather then just classify it.

I guess it depends on who exactly did authorise the mission. Was there a meeting at Starfleet Intelligence? Or was it just one Admiral, which would be all the authorisation Sisko needed. What made this operation, or Picards incursion into Cardassian space in Chain of Command ok, but Admiral Pressman's experiments with the cloaking device not.

I'm not arguing either way - just asking for speculation on the nature of Starfleet Covert Ops.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

kostmayer wrote:...I want to see Remmicks head explode in Hi Def...
Seconded. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I saw that episode countless times during the 5pm slot whilst scoffing my tea without realising it had been edited. When I finally saw it uncut on the BBC it freaked the hell out of me.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

kostmayer wrote:I saw that episode countless times during the 5pm slot whilst scoffing my tea without realising it had been edited. When I finally saw it uncut on the BBC it freaked the hell out of me.
The Beeb censored that ep? :confused: We've got gorier stuff in Saturday morning cartoons than that.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer