Species of the week: Vulcans

The Original Series
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Then how about instead of a mid-life crisis they change genders?
Don't Ocampans only live twelve years?
And wasn't Kes still a woman when she came back in that episode where she was old?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:
Then how about instead of a mid-life crisis they change genders?
Don't Ocampans only live twelve years?
And wasn't Kes still a woman when she came back in that episode where she was old?
Maybe they can choose to change genders.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Then how about instead of a mid-life crisis they change genders? I even got an excuse for why they evolved that way: Overpopulation. Then the Caretaker shows up and accidentally wipes out their ecosystem and their biology doesn't have time to adapt.
Interesting theory, and would have been the sort of "outside the box" thinking that the writers could haveused but there's a few problems.

1) In "Before and After" (finally found the episode) Kes was dying of old age - as a female. The same episode shows her birth again, as a female, so they don't change genders.

2) Even if they did change, that only reduces the problem from the total population halving with each generation to maintaining a steady population - providing every single member of the species procreates, with no infant mortality, infertility, or miscarrages.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I could see a species evoloving like that but I dont think they could get technology. No one would live long enough to do reserch.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Teaos wrote:I could see a species evoloving like that but I dont think they could get technology. No one would live long enough to do reserch.
I don't think they really developed any technology on their own. It seemed like it was all provided by the caretaker. Then again you would think he'd give them a power generator instead of making them dependent on his energy transmissions.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Maybe he wanted to stay in control. Or didnt think they could handle there own power.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Wait...isn't this thread supposed to be about Vulcans? I'm not quite sure how it turned into a discussion of Ocampa population growth...but what the hey; I'm cool with that.

So keep on discussin'! :)
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

So which is dumber, Ocampan or Vulcan mating? At least the ocampans aren't hypocrites when it comes to it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Occampa can't help there screwed up life cycle Vulcans can. So Vulcans are stupider.

DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

is it just me, or does the planet Vulcan not have an vegitation?

I don't know if this is true, but IIRC they are vegitarians, so what would a vegitarian species eat on a world with little or no vegitation....

silly vulcans.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Or what makes the Oxygen for that matter. Even if they ate meat the animals they would eat would eat the non existant plants.

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

IIRC, a few of the non-canon RPG books mention rare oases(sp). But it's kinda like Tatooine, actually...

And yeah. I'd imagine Vulcans to be omnivores or at least carnivores. Not vegetarians. Sehlats look mighty tasty. ;)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Perhaps they were originaly carniverous, but later became more 'enlightened' and switched to eating plants and fruits that they could now grow with their technology or find on other planets?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Generic response: Stupid writing.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:Perhaps they were originaly carniverous, but later became more 'enlightened' and switched to eating plants and fruits that they could now grow with their technology or find on other planets?
I never got the whole vegeterian=enlightened stuff. Plants are still alive. Heck, I heard that broccoli has more pain receptors than a lobster!

And if you're vegetarian in RL, no disrespect intended. It just always struck me as an odd reason is all.