musings on the most famous of grudges

The Next Generation
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

From what we can gather from the Enterprise episode about that starving colony the Klingons demand for resources in exchange for increased trade or supplies. The Klingons in reality don't live up to their end of the bargin and use the subjugated races as unarmed people to be bullied out of their resources. So the klingons don't actually make what would normally be seen as a lasting Empire but instead just a series of worlds they can easily raid for needed materials and resources.

But we only have one ship and one colony for that conclusion so..
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That would make it very hard for the klingons to rebuild any type of power base be it economic or military.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Maybe the Klingons in TOS era were more oppresive to their slave worlds due to them being pissed off about their cosmetic looks.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That seems possible.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

But keeping a completely subjugated populace in thtat state will always be a tenuous situation. The Klingons may be brutal (to delicate human sensibilities,) but they are NOT stupid. I know there have been examples of regional governors and such bureaucracy, but keeping races subjugated, rather than tributary, on an interstellar basis is just shy of completely unfeasible.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

I agree with mikey, think of the bureaucracy required, clearly its possible but not probable
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It would be difficult, but not imposible if you have the manpower and resources. And it pretty much is the easiest way to explain away the lack of subject races.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

A subject race, can be absent from the mainstream society of the dominant group, or at low visibility presence and hence not often seen,per se, without that vassal group being exploited en masse for forced labour etc.
I tend to think that alot of the klingons' subject races, would be severely curtailed in their political ambitions or abilities to travel from their homeworlds and settlements,and thus spread any potentially counterproductive or contagious ideologies that might run contrary to the belief system of the dominant race/government, almost like how the kremlin, used to limit the movement of many of the siberian indigenous tribal groups(or indeed, how the soviet propaganda films,often featured orthodox christian, slavic, european russians and russians from the caucasus, rather than the finno-ungrian or ''oriental'' central asian and turkeman troops,that were in prevalance), the groups may have been numerous but they were never 'on display' or emancipated but were 'localised'.
Perhaps the subjects of the star trek empires, are common, but localised, and that locale, happens to be away from the eyes and influences of other powers...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good theory. That is quite possible.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It isn't just the Klingon and Romulan Empires that appear to be monospecies - the Federation itself tends towards being the "homo-sapiens only club" that Azetbur accused it of being in ST6. From Enterprise we know that it was founded with the assistance of Vulcan, Tellar and Andor, and from First Contact that there are 150 member worlds. Despite this how many non-humans do we see in Starfleet? Very few. That isn't to say that the others aren't there, as we do see them from time to time, but nowhere near the frequency that we see humans. Were Trek to be made from a Klingon or Romulan perspective it's possible, or even likely, that it would give the impression of the Federation being a purely human empire.
Last edited by Captain Seafort on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

hit the nail on the head there,seafort, its actually a point of resentment for me,that the multiculture utopia,seems,well, a less than...
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

*a little less than
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Excellent point, Captain S. Can humans really have that much higher a birth rate than any other species?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Probably has a lot to do with Starfleet academt being on Earth. If a human doesn't know what to do they go join Starfleet were as a Andorian would have a bot of a harder time doing that. Maybe a lot of those 150 species don't like fighting as a whole. only say 30 would consider it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Do we know for certain that the acadamey on Earth is the only one?
If it is, it brings the Federation to whole new levels of stupidity...

Regarding the Federations population, I always felt that Starfleet was pretty much handed to the humans. I see the Federation as employing a sort of 'caste' system for different races.
Humans are the warriors, Vulcans the diplomats and scientists, Androians and Thelarites for...er....whatever they do. Clearly it isn't enforced or in law, but its probably what's 'expected' of every race.