What is ten forward?

The Next Generation
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What is ten forward?

Post by Deepcrush »

What's the height limit?
There's not a real limit per say... but I've heard from some that a man over 5'9 might just have his request "lost".
Specifically, I wanted to fly planes for the Corps.
Would have been nice to have you there. A lot of the troops around the world have to rely on the USAF for close support. The Corps needs all the pilots it can get.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Atekimogus wrote:Why is that? Is an intelligent species which doesn't happen to breath the excat oxygen-nitrogen mixture that alien? Thats the reason I quite liked the Benzites for instance and I find it a shame that they lost their nice little breather during DS9.
To be honest the only difference between humans and aliens in star trek seems that "we are the borg, vulcans, datas etc having not your puny human emotions....). I quite enjoy species living in a different medium.
The issue I have isn't the medium, or even comparartive intelligence. Even if dolphins were more intelligent than humans, there is a major factor limiting their ability to develop space travel, or the mastery of any other technology. And no, I'm not talking baout fire - something could be technobabbled to explain that they mastered cold plasma, or something. What we've got that dolphins don't - and why my dog still depends on me rather than killing me and eating my carcass - is good old-fashioned thumbs.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly. Quite simply, if you don't have thumbs then you'll never have technology. So unless the UFP rigged up some sort of bizzare mechanical arm system for the cetacean branch of Starfleet, they're not going to be much use.

On another note, has any official deckplans for the GCS ever made a suggestion as to where exactly the cetaceans are housed?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

On Sternbach's I think the "pool" was in the forward portion of the primary hull, centered in it.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Mikey wrote: The issue I have isn't the medium, or even comparartive intelligence. Even if dolphins were more intelligent than humans, there is a major factor limiting their ability to develop space travel, or the mastery of any other technology. And no, I'm not talking baout fire - something could be technobabbled to explain that they mastered cold plasma, or something. What we've got that dolphins don't - and why my dog still depends on me rather than killing me and eating my carcass - is good old-fashioned thumbs.
I admit I thought clearly in the wrong direction. Do they actually wanted to have earth-dolphins/whales whatever in those tanks? I was thinking more about xindi-water-lifing intelligent species. Having them performing a special function - like navigation - would be somewhat cool imho, just a bit like the MIB alien supervising the computer all day :wink: .But having normal dolphins plotting a course sure is dumb.

Deepcrush wrote:The problem is that you are trying to support a long range starship. The more forms of environment you try to support the more trouble you will have. It is better just to have that life form have a ship of its own.
That is indeed the case since there are imho surprisingly few aliens onboard the E-D, all of which are obviously able to survive in our enviromnent quite well.
But I quite liked the idea of having an exchange programme and to get to know a few more exotic aliens. Life support seems to be rather flexible so I see no reason why not having an alien from a high-g planet breathing methan for example. Would have to wear a suit on duty but his quarters should be able to support a variety of enviromnents.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Atekimogus wrote:Do they actually wanted to have earth-dolphins/whales whatever in those tanks? I was thinking more about xindi-water-lifing intelligent species.
No, the reference was definitely to "cetacean" or the species name of the bottlenose dolphin.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:Exactly. Quite simply, if you don't have thumbs then you'll never have technology...
I could see a species with tentacles figuring it out.

Still rules out dolphins, of course.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True, tentacles might work. But then you just run into the many other problems involved in trying to create civilisation underwater.
Atekimogus wrote:I admit I thought clearly in the wrong direction. Do they actually wanted to have earth-dolphins/whales whatever in those tanks? I was thinking more about xindi-water-lifing intelligent species. Having them performing a special function - like navigation - would be somewhat cool imho, just a bit like the MIB alien supervising the computer all day :wink: .But having normal dolphins plotting a course sure is dumb.
The line specificly stated "cetacean", which explicitly means whales, dolphins and porpoises.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

And since even a small whale would take up a lot of space I figure dolphins.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think Lazar had mentioned that the plans noted the genus name for terrestrial dolphins.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, that works.

Well, no, it's still insanely stupid. But it's better than whales, at any rate.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Didn't you get the memo????

The whales developed bionic thumbs now. Mankind is in trouble!!!
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I just figured some kind of voice interface.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

After all, dolphins are linguistic geniuses :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tyyr wrote:I just figured some kind of voice interface.
They'd be limited to using voice-only systems, though. No hands.