Galaxy class

The Next Generation
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:I would say it does, if you define that as being specifically equipped for the purpose of finding and destroying the enemy.
Then on this point we disagree. Simply being equipped is not enough in my view, it is a matter of the purpose of the design.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

One possible solution is that every single Starfleet ship is an AMC, with weapons permanently attached.

It could work something like this: under most circumstances they would be operating under the auspices of whatever civilian organisation is responsible for exploration, science, technological evaluation, etc. There is a clause, however that allows the military wing of Starfleet to take control of the ship and order it to patrol the Neutral Zone, or fight off the latest Borg attack. This would explain the ship's poor design as a warship, and the crew's repeated insistence that Starfleet isn't military (despite being the people who fight to defend the Federation when the fighting starts) - they really aren't a professional military, they're just civvies with a bit of military training thrown in as an afterthought. It would also explain the Federation's non-existent ground army - it's a lot easier to train professional seamen into naval personnel (especially if firing a weapon just involves pushing buttons rather than physically loading it) than it is to train a decent soldier.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

An interesting theory, Seafort. It seems to fit the facts and also explains Picards coment that tactics are deemed unimportant.

Its a completely stupid way of doing things, but then again its hardly the stupidest thing that Starfleets ever done.
But as I said before, if you had a science vessel with a couple of add ons that made it the equal of a warship, that doesn't make it a warship itself.
You are indeed right there Graham. I guess it all comes down to personal opinion though. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Thats about it then. The Federation confronted with a time of prolonged peace has decided to reliagte its military to second tier behind the science rolls. Now it is switching back again.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good. The Federation is lucky its policy worked for them this time around.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I hate to play devil's advocate (actually, I rather enjoy it :twisted: ) but I'm thinking of a fly in the ointment with this last theory. It does explain a lot of just plain dumb stuff... however, if
under most circumstances they would be operating under the auspices of whatever civilian organisation is responsible for exploration, science, technological evaluation, etc.
... then why do all those officers have to come out of a FULL TOUR at Starfleet Adademy?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Because... well... SHUT UP!! :P

Do we know exactly what a full tour involves for them?

It could be quite different to what we think it is or is today.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Its not just officers, all crewmembers went to the acadamy.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Rochey wrote:Its not just officers, all crewmembers went to the acadamy.
Isn't the point of enlisted crewmembers that they didn't go to the Academy? Or had a "crash course" by Starfleet. To be an officer you must have gone through the academy - just like in modern day militaries. Non commisioned/enlisted ranks are there for people who haven't gone through the academy but are a part of Starfleet. Just like sergeants, corporals etc.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I know that. However, it was stated in one episode that all crewmembers went to the acadamy, however stupid that may be, it is, unfortunately, cannon.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

That is idoitic. The only thing I can think they mean is they have a "crash course" in it. Something like a 6 month training period where they train up in their particular area rather than in everything.
If enlisted crewmemebers went through the full academy then they would no longer be enlisted and would be commisioned. Thus enlisted crewmembers could not exist, if every crew member is required to go through the full academy.
Nice writing from the technical team as usual.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That is idoitic.
I agree entirely. My father is in the military, and he found this to be incredibly stupid, as he mentioned to me several times.
The only thing I can think they mean is they have a "crash course" in it. Something like a 6 month training period where they train up in their particular area rather than in everything.
I hope thats what they do. But would it really surprise you if they didn't? :roll:
If enlisted crewmemebers went through the full academy then they would no longer be enlisted and would be commisioned. Thus enlisted crewmembers could not exist, if every crew member is required to go through the full academy.
I know. Does Trek not have any military consultants? I know most sci-fi shows have.
Nice writing from the technical team as usual.
Just the tip of the iceberg.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I was always under the impression that enlisted just had "Basic training"

But I usually try to find ways in my head to make things less idiotic so I don't know if thats real or just me making it up.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Unofrtunately, no. I believe the quote I vaguely remember came from O'Brien. He stated, IIRC, that all of the crew went to the acadamy.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Do we know exactly what a full tour involves for them?
I believe its been mentioned onscreen that completing the Academy takes a four-year course - at least for officers... we'll get to that next...

[/quote]Its not just officers, all crewmembers went to the acadamy.

I don't remember hearing that onscreen, but I wouldn't dream of contradicting Rochey. So...

That's so ignorant, I can't even find words to describe it. That's the whole point of having an armed services academy - to create OFFICERS! By the very nature of such an academy, if you graduate, you become and officer. If O'Brien completed a regular academic course at the Academy, he WOULD NOT be Chief O'Brien, he would be Ensign O'Brien!

BTW, is that why he's the only enlisted man we've EVER seen? And even he's an NCO...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer