I Hate Enterprise

Enterprise
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: I Hate Enterprise

Post by Aaron »

me,myself and I wrote: Isn't that Star Trek. [cough] Wagon train to the stars [/cough]
Even in TOS they usually had a specific goal or mission to accomplish. The amount of screentime spent wandering around looking at stuff is fairly low in all the series except Voyager.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Even the E-D generaly went to check out specific things, rather than just wander space randomly.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Kevsha
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kevsha »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Even in TOS they usually had a specific goal or mission to accomplish
yea, don't the episodes usually stat out with a " captains log, star date 90210 weve been ordered....: ect"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Kevsha wrote:
yea, don't the episodes usually stat out with a " captains log, star date 90210 weve been ordered....: ect"
Some variation of that, yes.
nighthawk
Petty officer third class

Post by nighthawk »

I didn't have a problem with Enterprise's "mindless wandering"; remember that Star Fleet is relatively new, the Humans have mapped very little of the galaxy, met few species. They certainly have few missions out in deep space - beyond exploration itself. Contact with Starfleet is sporadic, as they have very few subspace relays deployed. Given how tight-lipped the Vulcans are, it's not surprising that the NX-01 is just cruising around, exploring space.

My beef with the Vulcans in this series is that they are given too much emotion; too much irrationality. I could take the reluctance to share warp technology and data, but when T'Pol claims that the Vulcan Science Council has determined that time travel is impossible - and uses language that suggests this is some kind of Gospel Truth - ENT's interpretation of Vulcans completely lost me.
Zapp Brannigan: Kiff, I'm feeling the "captain's itch".
Kif Kroker: I'll get the powder, sir.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I would have liked to for the NX to stumble across a nuclear wasteland system and find out that it was a species the Vulcans tried to help but their interference lead to the species destruction. Shows why they dont want to help humanity.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

That would have been very good. It would provide a lot of information on Vulcan history, and explain the weird behavior we saw in the first few seasons.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, that would have been good. And maybe later on Earth causing the same thing to happen; giving nuclear power to some friendly race and coming back in a few years to find that they'd wiped themselves out in nuclear warfare. It would lead nicely to the creation of the Prime Directive.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Rochey wrote:Aye, that would have been good. And maybe later on Earth causing the same thing to happen; giving nuclear power to some friendly race and coming back in a few years to find that they'd wiped themselves out in nuclear warfare. It would lead nicely to the creation of the Prime Directive.
If they were so intent on having a guest star from the TNG era, I think a great story could have been told where Riker and company are visiting a devastated world and in flashbacks you discover Archer and company were inadvertantly involved much like you suggest. An act of altruism results in tragedy.

Instead we had a guy who followed a directive that did not even exist yet. Berman and Braga really did not know how to handle a prequel.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

nighthawk wrote:I didn't have a problem with Enterprise's "mindless wandering"; remember that Star Fleet is relatively new, the Humans have mapped very little of the galaxy, met few species. They certainly have few missions out in deep space - beyond exploration itself. Contact with Starfleet is sporadic, as they have very few subspace relays deployed. Given how tight-lipped the Vulcans are, it's not surprising that the NX-01 is just cruising around, exploring space.
I don't buy that. Enterprise's first mission should have been to check out that failed colony, rather than waiting, what several episodes? I would think finding out what happened to the humans there would be of major importance.

Then again, they did not even bother asking the Vulcans to check it out so I guess the poor bastards did not matter much.
My beef with the Vulcans in this series is that they are given too much emotion; too much irrationality. I could take the reluctance to share warp technology and data, but when T'Pol claims that the Vulcan Science Council has determined that time travel is impossible - and uses language that suggests this is some kind of Gospel Truth - ENT's interpretation of Vulcans completely lost me.
I agree with you there. And the whole mind melding is verboten was a crock as well, as well as the disease thing being a way-too-long overdue metaphor for AIDS that should have been done during TNG's time. Now it just looks silly, especially where it's the supposedly intelligent Vulcans doing the stigmatizing. Vulcans are supposed to be smart, but they are portrayed as stupid asshats.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think it's quite clear that despite their claims, they don't operate purely by logic. Hell, they still cling to millenia old religious traditions with no basis in logic. They use a potentialy dangerous mating system and have never tried to regulate it. T'Pol regularly insulted the humans she was stuck with for several years without any logical reason.

I think emotionless would be a better term to describe them. And emotionless =/= logical. They're very smart, and do try to stick to logic most of the time, but at the same time they have their own traits and quirks that show that they don't live their lives purely by logic.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:I would have liked to for the NX to stumble across a nuclear wasteland system and find out that it was a species the Vulcans tried to help but their interference lead to the species destruction. Shows why they dont want to help humanity.
I'd love that, love it even more if it was Archer who gave them the tech not the Vulcans.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RX-178

Post by RX-178 »

You know, as a person that never really studied Trek, other than visiting this very website, I have to say I actually LIKED Enterprise as a series.

I can forgive SOME of the continuity errors as being caused by the difficulty of creating a prequel to a TV series that originally aired in 1966. I mean, to be honest, many aspects of our modern day technology is more advanced than technology displayed on the NCC-1701 in the original series, and now they're supposed to make, for all intents and purposes, a 'near future trek', with 'near future' in the context of 2001-2005. I generally overlook the entire 'laser/pahser' thing, for the most part, since honestly, the word 'phaser' is something that is very much automatically associated with Trek.

I guess the only reason I hate Enterprise is because some of these errors would have taken almost no effort to have been corrected in the script, and that kind of makes me feel like me, as a Trek fan, is not worth their time to change a few simple words before filming. I mean, deuterium mining? It would've taken a matter of minutes to change that to dilithium mining, or some other more appropriate substance.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Teaos wrote:I would have liked to for the NX to stumble across a nuclear wasteland system and find out that it was a species the Vulcans tried to help but their interference lead to the species destruction. Shows why they dont want to help humanity.
I'd love that, love it even more if it was Archer who gave them the tech not the Vulcans.
Go for a mix up. Have T'Pol tell about where they helped out a lower-tech race with advancing their technology, and where the culture basically self-destructed, killing billions. Archer makes a comment about not wanting to stand by and let the people down on the planet die due to a plague.

Archer gives the technology to the locals, ranging from antigravity technology to advanced mining equipment, and they leave sunny Ardana behind, to develop a better society.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

That would also be a cool TOS reference.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.