The Dominion's capture of DS9

Deep Space Nine
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Dominion's capture of DS9

Post by Deepcrush »

After seeing what they did with DS9, I wouldn't call it uber but it would on its own be as much as a dozen times stronger.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I'd have thought that they would have had some pretty powerful defense systems. Aren't these the equivalent of shipyards? They'd be a prime target in wartime, and wouldn't exactly be hard to hit :)
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Wouldnt be hard to hit? You mean apart from being deep in Federation territory in orbit of core worlds?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

identical stations have been seen in less core territories. They would very likely have advanced weapons systems, IMO.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

The number of time those "Core World" Systems have been threatened kind of mutes the point about their placement. We know Earth is not terribly far from the Klingon & Romulan Borders and since Spacedock was created while the UFP was still in its Cold War with the Klingons I would expect it to have some defences.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Also, when was the last time anyone heard of someone attack a major starbase? The biggest station we've heard of was DS9. Now, DS9 had some nice fire power but I doubt she's anywhere even close to that of a SB74...

Just think of what I could do with a starbase like that..... :twisted:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Just think of what I could do with a starbase like that..... :twisted:
Absolutely nothing. You'd just sit there, safe from any attack, while your enemy isolated the system and conquered the rest of the galaxy. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Or simply blockaded the station and waited for the crew to starve to death.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I was thinking about what kind of upgrades I could make to something of that size. Weapons, sheilds, what types of ships I'd be building.... You, happy thoughts :twisted:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Rochey wrote:Or simply blockaded the station and waited for the crew to starve to death.
Umm, we're in SOL over top of Earth. Somehow not a smart place to stand. Seaforts plan is better. Block off the system and leave it be while you conquered the rest of the galaxy. Though, would be a nice place to hire on for building ships... :idea:

So many happy ideas... :happydevil:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What's wrong with just blockading the whole planet and blasting surface installations with long-range torpedo fire?

Actualy, that'd be the perfect way to take out one of those super stations. They can't move, so just stay out of phaser range and lob tonnes of torps at it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Because you'd run out of torps long before those stations ran out of shields. Plus phaser fire would bring down most before they even hit. The only race to match the UFP in torps is the Breen.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Deepcrush wrote:Because you'd run out of torps long before those stations ran out of shields. Plus phaser fire would bring down most before they even hit. The only race to match the UFP in torps is the Breen.
I don't understand your remark about the Breen, from what I remember they used either Phaser or Disruptors (one separate occasions they were claimed to use one or the other)...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Because you'd run out of torps long before those stations ran out of shields. Plus phaser fire would bring down most before they even hit. The only race to match the UFP in torps is the Breen.
It would depend on how many ships you had firing. You can't blockade anything with just one ship.
AndI don't think we've ever seen phasers shoot down torps.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Not at short range but at long range when you see them coming you could just set your phasers to fire in pattern at the torps. I doubt it takes to much to take down a torp. Don't see them having much armour or shielding.