10,000 posts

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: 10,000 posts

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:Yeah, with diabetes you really have to watch carb intake as much or more than actual sugar. Alcohol is funny; it will depress your blood sugar while you're drinking, and the the next day... wham! All the alcohol turns to simple carbs.

Hmmm... sounds like a good idea for a few people around me...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I kind of miss being able to have "a" beer. Put my NA program says NO. Alcohol is a drug and ANY drug could unleash my addiction again. No thanks.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:I kind of miss being able to have "a" beer. Put my NA program says NO. Alcohol is a drug and ANY drug could unleash my addiction again. No thanks.
NA? Frankly AA and its peers is a colossal crock of shite, if you are a legitimate alcoholic ok. But for those of use who used it to drown the pain and memories of a horrific career than you are addressing symptom of the problem rather than the actual problem. It's no secret that I used to be an alcoholic (as in I'm recovered and done with it), it holds no power over me. In fact I'm having a cooler right now and I'm fine.

AA simply swaps the crutch of booze for the crutch of the Lawd and sets it up so you punish yourself continuously for a mistake. I know guys that were alky's 25 years ago that still punish themselves.

Edit: fixed spelling.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I understand what you're saying, Kendall, but hey - if it's working for Mark, I say good on him.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:I understand what you're saying, Kendall, but hey - if it's working for Mark, I say good on him.

If it works, yes. Hopefully it gives him the time required to address the underlying causes.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, the underlying cause is that I'm an addict. It's that simple. My drug use was just a symptom of the same problem. But it was a convienient solution that was really easy, at first. But the reason why I cannot drink, is that it tells us that one is to many and a thousand is never enough. That sums me up pretty well. I just CANNOT fathom why somebody would drink and NOT get schnookerd. Same for everything else. And therein lays the problem.

BTW, it is a spiritual, not religious program. Most of my friends are athiests.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:
I'm glad your's is. In my area AA/NA is very religious as in you cannot cure your problem without accepting that you need to put your trust in a "higher power".
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mark wrote:
I'm glad your's is. In my area AA/NA is very religious as in you cannot cure your problem without accepting that you need to put your trust in a "higher power".
Well, the "Higher Power" is part of the program, BUT, you get to chose what said higher power is. The Athiests mostly use the fellowship as a higher power, a couple use the ocean, one felt Big Bird was a good fit, and yet one other felt the gentle spirit of Andre the Giant was an effective higher power. (I think he watched a certain episode of House) All a higher power is, is something that is loving, caring, and more powerful than yourself, which when we come into the program is most everything and everyone, as we are pretty broken.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:
Well, the "Higher Power" is part of the program, BUT, you get to chose what said higher power is. The Athiests mostly use the fellowship as a higher power, a couple use the ocean, one felt Big Bird was a good fit, and yet one other felt the gentle spirit of Andre the Giant was an effective higher power. (I think he watched a certain episode of House) All a higher power is, is something that is loving, caring, and more powerful than yourself, which when we come into the program is most everything and everyone, as we are pretty broken.
Yeah, that went out the window when they pulled out the lords prayer at the meeting.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mark wrote:
Yeah, that went out the window when they pulled out the lords prayer at the meeting.
That's AA.

NA we close with the the third step prayer which goes

"Many of us have said, Take our will and our lives. Guide us in our recovery, and show us how to live."

No mention of ANY God.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:
That's AA.

NA we close with the the third step prayer which goes

"Many of us have said, Take our will and our lives. Guide us in our recovery, and show us how to live."

No mention of ANY God.
Good.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

As it should be.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

It's an accepted belief that focusing on any "one God" even though we do use the term God sometimes to describe a higher power, restricts the potiential recovery of those of different faiths. Example, when somebody who is a Budist is trying to hear a message, and some guy is up there yelling how Jesus keeps him clean, you limit what the Budist can use. By keeping our own personal beliefs just that, personal, we allow others with different beliefs to get more of our experience, strength, and hope.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:...I just CANNOT fathom why somebody would drink and NOT get schnookerd...
Pain. Plain and simple: I can't afford prescription meds, I have no insurance, and I'm in constant excruciating pain. I never drink with the thought "I'm going to get sh*t-faced" in my head. I just drink until the pain becomes manageable. Excedrin just really doesn't cover massive ligament and cartilage damage coupled with wisdom teeth coming in.

Quite honestly, I'd rather have a V-8. And then go run a marathon.

I can't fathom why anyone would drink for any other reason...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

What if you don't believe there is a higher power of any kind?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...