Voyager What if...?

Voyager
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Voyager What if...?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Makes sense.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

It's mentioned in dialogue that they off-loaded all non-essential personnel before they went after Sisko.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That solves it, then.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I could see a Galaxy doing much better in the void, I mean the one in the ep by the same name, not the one in Night, though they could do better there too.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I really dont see the problem with the void. So it was a bit of empty space, there is lots to do on ship.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:I really dont see the problem with the void. So it was a bit of empty space, there is lots to do on ship.
No joke. I always thought it was pretty absurd that anyone with access to a massive database, and allocated holodeck time would complain about being bored. :roll:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Teaos wrote:70 years falls with in the hull life, sure it will need maintence when it can get it but it could still make it home.

180 years is far beyond what you can expect a starship to handle, especially when its running across the whole Galaxy.

If it was a GCS I would imagin they would settle down pretty quickly.
Have you forgotten the Klingon K'Tinga derivative that Voyager encountered that had been out so long that she was a generation ship?
I call bullshit on that episode and the Enterprise episode that pretty much did the same thing. The lack of perishible resources and space would make both ships unable to sustain anything like generations, not to mention both earlier model ships not having replicator technology to replace failed systems. I could see the Intrepid class maybe being able to do it only because of it's comparatively larger interior spaces that would allow for a population expansion as well as magical replicator technology to keep the ship going.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Teaos wrote:I really dont see the problem with the void. So it was a bit of empty space, there is lots to do on ship.
No joke. I always thought it was pretty absurd that anyone with access to a massive database, and allocated holodeck time would complain about being bored. :roll:
Janeway was (again) a bad captain, unable to find ways to keep her crew occupied and happy. Chess tournaments, sporting events, movie night, a theatre company, etc. Harry Kim played the clarinet, why not see him put together a band?

One of the things I liked on TNG were the extracurricular activities you saw. I understand how on modern warships crews are given a lot to do; if they aren't on shift they are doing maintenance, but on a futuristic ship I imagine you would have more time on your hands (certainly seemed that way on TNG). It was a neat idea to have Crusher seemingly the morale officer or the like, putting on productions and keeping the crew occupied and interacting.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

No doubt. You'd think they'd be happy to not be getting shot at, and appreciate the leisure opportunity of a long period of nada.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

If the Galaxy class were used in place of an Intrepid-and if the class' numerous flaws were ignored-then it would have had much less trouble with hostile aliens. But more importantly, the Maquis would have been relegated to second class status. Think about it; a thousand people crew a Galaxy class vessel, which means there are a lot more redundant warm bodies. If The E-D had wound up in the Delta quadrant and Riker had died, Picard would have had Worf or Data to pick up the slack in the executive position.

So Chakotay and the other Maquis would have been given safe jobs under heavy supervision while the heroic stuff would have been handled by the mainstream crew. As for Paris, I doubt very much he would have had anything to do with his record of reckless behavior. Chances are he would have had to have begged Janeway for time to fly the ship.

Also, the EMH likely would have served more in a support capacity than as the main medical doctor. A Galaxy class' medical staff is much larger so chances are more would have survived, so the EMH might have been the doctor for the third watch or the like.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If Janeway couldnt keep the moral of her crew up she is more useless than many think. Voyager is basically a giant playground.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

What about the build up of Baryon Particles, that had to be removed from the Enterprise D in Starship Mine?

Wouldn't it (or any other ship) need the same sweep doing every 5 or 10 years?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Maybe that just keeps it running at top speed and is not really needed.

katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

kostmayer wrote:What about the build up of Baryon Particles, that had to be removed from the Enterprise D in Starship Mine?

Wouldn't it (or any other ship) need the same sweep doing every 5 or 10 years?
Would have been a good sub plot to an episode showing Voyager having to find a facility to get the darn things off. Would have been a nice bit of continuity, too.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Show Janeway having to lower her morals and barter tech for the right to use someones facility.