Mikey is looking for someone to try 40K with

sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: Mikey is looking for someone to try 40K with

Post by sunnyside »

Hmmmmmm do people have powerpoint? I think maybe a good place to go from here would be to pair Mikey and the Guard up agaist Tsu and the Marines. And then Stitch with the Marines again against Reliant and guard.

But I'm really busy and it would be better if you could mostly do it yourselves with me just poking in to see if things are done right or answering questions.

It might be good to compare and contrast the two games. A big starting difference in my opinion is Veteran placement. Mikey had his veterans forward in a prickly spot for stitch to deal with instead of just back with the battle line.

Also a big factor in both games is taking the shots you can with your forces. It's tempting to hide behind something. And sometimes that is a good idea, but not when your opponent is going to be able to step forward and blast you anyway or if it means your troops aren't going to be engaged in the fight.

EDIT: @stitch. This was just your first time. And you didn't even get wiped out, there wouldn't be any way for Mikey to get to you before the game ended back there. At any rate reading up might not help you much. What you need to go through what happened. Go back to your first turn. Toss out some suggestions about what you might do differently.
Last edited by sunnyside on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm not even sure that the vets could get a firing solution on the Marines in two turns if he stayed put.

Don't feel bad, Stitch - first, who knows how much was based on lucky dice rolls; and second, as I had mentioned, even without knowledge of the game mechanics, I did have background knowledge - like the fact the IG needs to take advantage of range and massed fire.

In fact, if any experienced WH40k players are reading (including you, Sunny) I'd be interested in an analysis to see how much of this had nothing to do with me and was rather based on lucky rolls and Stitch's unfamiliarity with the game.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

In there other game there were points where a single dice would have changed things dramatically. Notably the first turn missile shots at the Rhino where it just got shaken instead of stunned, immobilized or destroyed.

This game however was pretty well going along with the odds. The outcome primarily caused by veteran placement and stitch not responding to that in the best way. But his are errors I've seen in much more experienced players.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

And I thought I was just not good a such things. After we had started, I did realize my first mistake. I put all of my men in the same area. What I should have done is placed either the marines or the rhino near where Mikey later put his vets. Oh well, live and learn.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Actually that might not have helped. Remember Mikey got to pick where to put the launchers and vets after seeing where you'd set up. Your set up was actually OK. You could have hidden the assault marines. But that would have given Mikey the chance of infiltrating the veterans in close and getting a first turn double plasma shot on a non smoked Rhino if he was willing to risk it.

No try and think through what might have worked better on your first turn of moving.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I don't know if this would have been "correct," by my instinct with Space Marines would have been get the Rhino going right away, and try to get them in close combat ASAP. Space Marines = super crushing death in close combat.
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

That's the only other thing I can think of. Of course, I still have no idea what I was doing. I think I was randomly moving men, hoping for results.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Actually the regular marines are pretty good at shooting stuff that's really close. Though against guard they aren't shabby in close either.

Now I suppose one thing working against stitch was that he wouldn't have a good feel for how deadly plasma is(deadly to marines up close when not in cover).

From the first turn position two courses of actin occur to me(note I'm not an expert Marine player). I don't want to directly go after the veterans. If I rushed them with the Rhino and assault marines I'd almost certainly get to kill them all. But I'd take a lot of damage in the process and then I'd be looking at a whole lot of territory between me and a heavy gunner and probably some missiles that would have scooted over.

No I'd move to avoid them. The first action is more brash. I'd shoot the Rhino down 12" , pop smoke, and then land the assault marines behind it. The only shots Mikey would have would be at the smoked Rhino. Next turn if the Rhino doesn't explode the Marines inside could clear out the missile launchers. unless they fell back instead of firing and the assault marines would probably try and stay safe and charge something next turn.

The second option is more carefull. Specifically moving both units down the A column. First turn would probably get the Rhino to A3, next turn however far south I could get without taking fire, and then in turn 3 lunging down shooting up squad #1 if they're still in that woods. How this would exactly play out would depend a whole lot on the exact moves Mikey makes in the two turns where I'm just moving.

To look at the Marine setup one thing occurs to me. If setting up to prevent infiltrators you only need one guy in the woods or whatever to look out. The rest could be behind where they can't be targeted. That way you can only lose one guy in initial shooting.

Anyway I think it's probably debated whether it's better to hide models early or just set them out front in order to get where they're going sooner at the risk of getting shot up on their first turn.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Makes sense. Some sacrifice would probably have to be made; either the Rhino or a model or two in order to get the Marines up close to first take out the missiles, or an assault marine or two to get in to close combat range of the vets.

Note that if I had thought the missile launchers were in imminent danger of close assault, I would probably have put the command squad with their flamers by them for close support.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, the flamers are pretty wicked. I need to remember that in my next match. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

What's nice is the ability to target multiple models with one shot.
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Mikey wrote:Makes sense. Some sacrifice would probably have to be made; either the Rhino or a model or two in order to get the Marines up close to first take out the missiles, or an assault marine or two to get in to close combat range of the vets.

Note that if I had thought the missile launchers were in imminent danger of close assault, I would probably have put the command squad with their flamers by them for close support.
That's actually why I said I would shoot the missile launchers. The thing is that I shouldn't lose any assault marines as they'd be out of veteran range and hidden behind the smokey rhino from the missiles and squad 1. But there is a risk the Rhino would go down. And yes you probably would move the flamers up, or maybe not. It's why I can't speak to tactics after contact with the enemy.

Anyway Tsu and Mikey do either of you have powerpoint or something that could do the image stuff to play without me doing all the map work? How about you stitch if you'd be up for trying against Reliant.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I don't, I'm afraid - I've never had any presentation-type work or anything like that which would make use of Powerpoint. I could probably get it from wife via her work on the DL after some time, but then of course I'd need the crash-course tutorial...
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I have Powerpoint, though I would need the map. And I would be up for a game against Reliant, if he promissed to go easy on me. Also, I still have no idea about the rolling of die or whatever.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Hmmmmm. There is also VASSAL. With that you could play each other and even people online. It's free. You can download it through
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/ ... assal.html

Here's the old guide for setting up maps and stuff. I don't remember the details but it isn't to hard. You could e-mail the vassal file with the movable pieces back and forth and take screensots to post here (you guys know about ctrl+prist screen right?)

I'd suggest photobucket for hosting the pics. It's something that's fun to use anyway as you can access pics you upload there from the web or your desktop from anywhere. So when I need to bust out a little:

It's right there.

For dice rolling there's a thing that will log rolls online for you.

You can register at
https://hamete.org/dserver/dice-register
and then go to
https://hamete.org/dserver/joinlogdice
and join log 56