Ship of the Week: Nebulon-B Frigate

Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: Ship of the Week: Nebulon-B Frigate

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:It was a pretty cool game.
The only problem is that whenever you blew up an A-Wing, the freaking fuselage would fly out of the wreckage and ram you, thus killing you. I swear, those things are like fracking homing missiles.
Kind of like what they did to the Executer?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Monroe wrote:
Rochey wrote:It was a pretty cool game.
The only problem is that whenever you blew up an A-Wing, the freaking fuselage would fly out of the wreckage and ram you, thus killing you. I swear, those things are like fracking homing missiles.
What was the name of the battle that the Yuuzhan Vong War was turned in? Ebaq 6 or something? Didn't Verenge use an A-Wing in the same manner?
The battle of Ebaq. Vergere, a complicated Jedi/Sith/Potentium/plain effin' crazy little thing, crashed an A-wing into the planet, wiping out the Vong invasion force.

Although that's from memory. I gave away my copies of the NJO about a year ago.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I know very little of the EU - but one A-wing going down obliterated an entire Vong invasion force?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey - I think you forgot to add one of these: :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, that should have been in there. I mean, IIRC, A-wings don't even have hyperdrive - is their sublight drive powered by the ultimate-instant-planetwide-annihilation form of energy?
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Mikey wrote:I know very little of the EU - but one A-wing going down obliterated an entire Vong invasion force?
She crashed into a fuel tank I think. She didn't wipe out an invasion force but the commanders. Basically she hit in the right spot to blow the fuel tanks on the installation which killed a few thousand Vong and exposed them to vacuum.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Fuel tank? The impression I got was that she rammed the moon at full thottle after a long run-up, turning the A-wing into a relatavistic missile.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Relativistic? Somebody's going to have to edumacate me, because I was under two impressions:

#1 - A-wings do not have hyperdrive. Is SW sublight really a very significant percentage of c?

#2 - An A-wing doesn't have a payload, as it is a manned vessel rather than a weapon of itself.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:#1 - A-wings do not have hyperdrive. Is SW sublight really a very significant percentage of c?
A-wings do indeed have a hyperdrive, although how it got shoehorned in is anyone's guess.

Regarding sublight speed, relatavistic combat was seen in "Star by Star".

Having re-read the relevant bit of "Destiny's Way", however, it turns out that Vergere was actually going pretty slowly - around 10 km/s. She hit one end of a tunnel that passed through right through Ebaq 9, and the atmospheric seal was vapourised by the impact. The fighter was reduced to a ball of plasma that passed right through the moon, igniting various bits of metal on the way through, which burned up the oxygen supply in short order. Those Vong who survived the heat suffocated.
#2 - An A-wing doesn't have a payload, as it is a manned vessel rather than a weapon of itself.
Tell that to the Executor's bridge crew. Or the Vong, for that matter.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Oh, okay. Thanks, Seafort. Memory's a bit rusty, there.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Thanks for the info. As I said, I'm no expert in the EU, so I wasn't familiar with the Ebaq sitch.

However, just because one managed to take out the Executor's bridge, or the atmosphere of Ebaq through some miracle of pseudoscience, doesn't mean that it's a missile rather than a fighter. At best, it's a "divine wind" attack, albeit rather more succesful than most Japanese kamikaze attacks.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:However, just because one managed to take out the Executor's bridge, or the atmosphere of Ebaq through some miracle of pseudoscience, doesn't mean that it's a missile rather than a fighter. At best, it's a "divine wind" attack, albeit rather more succesful than most Japanese kamikaze attacks.
Ebaq 9, IIRC, wasn't a planet, but a small planetoid - it was too small to sustain an atmosphere of its own, so the Empire/New Republic/whoever built a network of sealed catacombs inside it. Vergere's attack broke the seal on said catacombs.

As for the fighter/missile argument, I don't think anyone suggested that either Vergere's or Arvel Crynyd's attacks were anything but kamikazi runs.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

What would you recommend in the Star Wars EU for someone who's only ever read Timothy Zahns Thrawn trilogy, and Specter of the Past? And only then several years ago.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

me,myself and I wrote:What would you recommend in the Star Wars EU for someone who's only ever read Timothy Zahns Thrawn trilogy, and Specter of the Past? And only then several years ago.
Zahn's stuff is among the best there is - in addition to what you've already got there's Vision of the Future (the immediate sequel to SotP), Allegiance, Survivor's Quest, and Outbound Flight (a prequel of sorts to SQ).

From other authors there's James Luceno's books, which I've heard nothing but praise for, Matthew Stover's RotS novelisation, and Aaron Allston's X-wing novels.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Dark Lord by Luceno is definitely worth picking up.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"