Voyagers premise and Janeway "stupidity"

Voyager
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

That may have been a difference between Bajoran and Federation law. There's also the point that the clone killed in "A Man Alone" was fully-grown and independent, while the one Riker killed was still growing. I'd say it's the difference between murder and an abortion - one is clearly a crime, while the other is a much murkier and more complex situation.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Was he justified in doing so though? Granted, I wouldn't want a second Dr Pulalski running around (let alone a planet full - eeps!), but did they have the right to destroy their own clones?

Also, imagine being a Riker clone and not being able to procreate?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Good question, Kostmayer. If the clones are to be treated as sentient entities, then he killed them in cold blood. If they are to be treated as property, then he destroyed someone else's items without permission.

Granted, his own DNA was hijacked, but two wrongs don't make a right - esp. for a Starfleet officer.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:If the clones are to be treated as sentient entities, then he killed them in cold blood.
Did he though? The clones were still growing, and we lack any conclusive evidence as to their mental development or self-awareness at that point. Therefore we can't determine conclusively that Riker's actions involved the death of a sentient life form.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Very true, and I'm not about to start a life v. choice debate. But I did say "if;" and even if not, their existence was not his to decide. As I mentioned, at the very least he destroyed someone else's property, and "they started it" isn't a valid argument for an officer.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

No, he destroyed his own property that had been stolen from him. Seems fully legal as far as I can tell.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:No, he destroyed his own property that had been stolen from him. Seems fully legal as far as I can tell.
First, let me say that I believe I would have done as Riker did. But to play devil's advocate, I'd say it's a tickier legal wicket than that - a small sample of DNA was stolen from him... the entire clone was certainly NOT. However, I'm not primarily debating the legal aspect of the matter; my foremost point is that "they started it" is not a valid reaosn for conduct unbecoming an officer.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There's also the factor that what happened did not take place on the Enterprise or any Federation planet, so technically Federation law wouldn't even apply. We have ample evidence that the rule is that when you are on a foreign planet, you follow their laws.

So you have the rather interesting question of whether the abduction and cell extraction were legal acts under Mariposan law, and whether killing a half formed clone is.

We can only guess at that, but I imagine a planet of clones is pretty strong on legal protection of clones, wouldn't you think?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

GrahamKennedy wrote:There's also the factor that what happened did not take place on the Enterprise or any Federation planet, so technically Federation law wouldn't even apply. We have ample evidence that the rule is that when you are on a foreign planet, you follow their laws.

So you have the rather interesting question of whether the abduction and cell extraction were legal acts under Mariposan law, and whether killing a half formed clone is.

We can only guess at that, but I imagine a planet of clones is pretty strong on legal protection of clones, wouldn't you think?
Maybe they don't even have laws protecting the rights of non-clones. Too bad they didn't explore that even further. Be one of those rare "on the other side of the fence" episodes.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Unless it turned into a Wesley/keep-off-the-grass scenario, in whcih the E-D crew is perfectly OK with completely trampling on local law and tradition... if it's in their own best interests. :roll:
as Bull offed Custer