Variable Geometry Nacelles

Voyager
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Well, we know that there WAS subspace "pollution" being done, but I don't recall seeing that the Intrepid's variable geometry was in response to that or not. If it were, we would have seen it in use more than a handful of times on the show.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I think the assertion that the variable nacelles reduce polution came from an interview wth one of the producers, rather than in the show.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Ah. So it's a non-canon claim then, and even if true, we have no explanation of why Voyager gave up on the concept after one or two uses.
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Captain Seafort wrote:I think the assertion that the variable nacelles reduce polution came from an interview wth one of the producers, rather than in the show.
So? It's a better reason than 'pointless'.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

For once I'm not arguing with you :) - I was simply responding to Mikey's comment that he wasn't sure where the "prevents subspace pollution" explanation came from.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Captain Seafort wrote:For once I'm not arguing with you :) - I was simply responding to Mikey's comment that he wasn't sure where the "prevents subspace pollution" explanation came from.
What? What have you done with the real Seafort? XD
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Thank you. The fact remains, though, that if there was a stated necessity for the variable-geometry nacelles, there should be NO reason why there were used so rarely.
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Mikey wrote:Thank you. The fact remains, though, that if there was a stated necessity for the variable-geometry nacelles, there should be NO reason why there were used so rarely.
They were used every time they went to warp. What're you talking about?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I mean, if they were so important, why was no mention ever made? Surely, such an innovation should get some talk time?
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Mikey wrote:I mean, if they were so important, why was no mention ever made? Surely, such an innovation should get some talk time?
This really annoys me. Why must every little thing have a mention? Even one throw away comment? It's not important, that's why it doesn't get any talk time. Toilets - they're not important, they don't get talk time. It doesn't advance the plot (I use that term loosely for Voyager :wink: ), it doesn't help characters develop, it doesn't entertain, it doesn't have any message. It does nothing. It's there and the most sensible reason is that it helped going to warp. It doesn't need a mention. At all.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Thorin wrote:
Mikey wrote:I mean, if they were so important, why was no mention ever made? Surely, such an innovation should get some talk time?
This really annoys me. Why must every little thing have a mention? Even one throw away comment?
Well, so that we don't have to have this thread and tear our hair out trying to make some sense out of this, that's why. :wink:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I stick by my idea for it dispersing radiation that damages subspace. This spreads it out by elongating the Z axis.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
Thorin wrote:
This really annoys me. Why must every little thing have a mention? Even one throw away comment?
Well, so that we don't have to have this thread and tear our hair out trying to make some sense out of this, that's why. :wink:
I understand asking what they're for. But saying they're pointless and then saying every little detail about all aspects of life, the future, the past, everything that has ever existed ever has to be mentioned on show (even in passing) is just absurd. If it's not going to help 'enhance' the show (whether by advancing the plot, developing characters, etc), then it doesn't need to be there. By all means, discuss what it could be, why its there - but don't ask them to mention everything!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

There's also the state Star Wars is in these days to consider - an obsession with every single detail of the universe, to the extent that it sometimes seems as if the EU has lost track of the fundamental aim of providing interesting stories in its desire to explaining every last event, and every minor character in excruciating detail, often contradicting itself in the process.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:There's also the state Star Wars is in these days to consider - an obsession with every single detail of the universe, to the extent that it sometimes seems as if the EU has lost track of the fundamental aim of providing interesting stories in its desire to explaining every last event, and every minor character in excruciating detail, often contradicting itself in the process.
Quote for truth. There's info... and then there's info that drowns the story. SW has hit that.