The worst film ever?

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

i think i'll stay away from Stealth now.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I mean, for those who haven't seen it, here's but one example. The computer drone plane flies up to an airborne refuelling system at one point. The system (which is unmanned) refuses access since the plane is a rogue. The plane uses its cannon to shoot the end off the pipe, and then shoves its refuelling probe into the shredded end of the pipe and takes on fuel through that.
Okay, even I can see the problems in that. :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:
I mean, for those who haven't seen it, here's but one example. The computer drone plane flies up to an airborne refuelling system at one point. The system (which is unmanned) refuses access since the plane is a rogue. The plane uses its cannon to shoot the end off the pipe, and then shoves its refuelling probe into the shredded end of the pipe and takes on fuel through that.
Okay, even I can see the problems in that. :?
Okay, but I think that's maybe the most inaccurate moment in the movie. But I've seen worse inaccuracies in hit movies. Look at Armageddon. There's no way a nuke that small could force a rock that big to split into two pieces and avoid earth. Not to mention the fact that the two ships were too close during launch. That's just off the top of my head. Yet I was the only one in the theater who laughed and then have my friends laugh at me for caring about a 'minor' inaccuracy like that. Since then I've learned to let movies and shows to have artistic license for the sake of drama. Then I annoy my mother at some point as to why something could not happen in real life. But if we hate stuff for inaccurate and impossible stuff like that, we would never like any Star Trek stuff.
Dakarne
Petty officer third class

Post by Dakarne »

Dungeons & Dragons. The one where they managed to bollock it up whilst having Tom Baker and Jeremy Irons on the cast.

That was bad. But of course, Plan 9 from Outer Space and Bloodrayne are up there on the 'bloody awful films' list.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-Hamlet
Serapha
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class

Post by Serapha »

I'm not sure using Armageddon as an example really helps, that's one of the most scientifically inaccurate movies I've ever seen, I laughed my head off all the way through it. Though The Core was worse.
"I'm sorry, Penterian Fleet Command cannot come to the comm right now, all our personnel are currently tied up..."

www.bladespark.com It's cute and fuzzy, click at your own risk.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Okay, but I think that's maybe the most inaccurate moment in the movie. But I've seen worse inaccuracies in hit movies. Look at Armageddon. There's no way a nuke that small could force a rock that big to split into two pieces and avoid earth. Not to mention the fact that the two ships were too close during launch. That's just off the top of my head. Yet I was the only one in the theater who laughed and then have my friends laugh at me for caring about a 'minor' inaccuracy like that. Since then I've learned to let movies and shows to have artistic license for the sake of drama. Then I annoy my mother at some point as to why something could not happen in real life. But if we hate stuff for inaccurate and impossible stuff like that, we would never like any Star Trek stuff.
Personally I thought Armageddon was absolutely dire as well. It would certainly rank in my top 10 worst movies of the last decade or so.

And re Stealth, yeah, the refuelling thing is stupid indeed.

But then so are stealth aircraft that close in and attack their targets from 50 feet away, well within visual range of everybody they are attacking, exposing themselves to all sorts of AA fire. I mean, the entire movie is called "Stealth", right? At no point in this movie does any aircraft use stealth in any way. Stealth simply does not feature.

Oh, we have an unmanned aircraft that has a pilot's seat. I forget the excuse they gave, but putting a pilot's position in an unmanned aircraft wipes out virtually every advantage that an unmanned aircraft has; you're adding unnecessary weight, size, etc. The first time I saw it I thought "Oh, so at some point the plot will require EDI be flown by a man." And an hour later it came to pass.

Then we have these aircraft that seem to fly across absolutely surreal ranges. I mean, they take off from a carrier off the US coast... attack a target in the middle east... engage some Migs in Russia... then get damaged and crash in North Korea. What the hell?!

At one point a pilot disobeys orders, during a combat mission, and refuses to engage a target. Guess what happens? His boss basically says "hell, never mind," and it's forgotten. I thought the Navy were a bit more demanding than that.

Or how about how Jessica Biel ejects from her plane which then explodes... she hurtles down, fire and debris all around her... her parachute catches fire and she falls into a tree, smacking every damn branch on the way down... then gets up, brushes herself off, and walks away. She then singlehandedly takes on a large section of the North Korean army with a small submachine gun.

But then one NK soldier manages to shoot her in the shoulder with a sniper rifle. Which injury causes her to limp for the rest of the movie. Limp! And no, it's not like she's walking on her hands or anything.

And of course there's Eddie himself... EDI, which stands for "Extreme Deep Invader". How anybody can hear that without thinking of seedy men in darkened shops I don't know. I snickered every time I heard it. EDI, it seems, was designed by morons, because instead of being programmed to behave in a predictable, controllable way, he is designed to learn lessons on the go, make his own judgements and basically do whatever he likes!

Did I mention that EDI downloads every song on the internet so he can play music while he fights? Yes, he really does. It's presented in the movie as something that the technical boys think is a funny thing that's no big deal. "Our super powerful plane is behaving illegally and erratically? Bwahahahaha! Load him up and send him out!"

The heroes are one white guy, one white woman, and one black guy. Guess who dies? Go on, you'll NEVER guess!

It's clear that by the end of this movie the US would be at war with North Korea and Russia, to name but two. But nobody seems to care, or even notice.

You know what the last line is? All the way through white guy has had a secret crush on white girl (shocked?) and won't tell her. At the end, she turns to him, smiles lovingly at him, and says.... "tell me you love me, you pussy." Honest to god, that's what she says.

I could go on, but my brain is starting to hurt.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

They do fly under the Korean radar in one part after EDI took damage. The pilot's seat was for matinince and testing purpose. I'm sure EDI was only the first prototype for a series of future type of UAV. By putting it in a comparable aircraft it can prove when it's supirior to its human counterparts. There is still another advatage of UAVs. When they get shot down our men don't die.

And the carrier was in the Indian ocean I thought. Then the EDI and Talon 1 planes refulled at that blimp. There may have been offscreen refuelling as well.

And as for the disobeying orders, the casualties in an allied country of Pakistan would have been too high, then they were too busy to shoot down EDI to care about that.

The name is probably from some geek who also came up with the name Deep Impact for a movie. Like that's the first time someone would have sexual innuendo in names for military planes. Hell, in WWII they painted scantly clad women on the nose of their planes.

And EDI is supposed to be a learning AI. I thought the idea of an AI was so that it could do what it likes, makes its own judgements, so that human error was removed from the equation. Acting in a predictable way in battle is a sure way to get killed.

And Star trek is racist too. Of all the captians who dies in their own series? Sisko. The Black guy.

And Russia was asked by the US to shoot EDI down. And it's possible that one or both countries would've been addressed in the sequal, had the movie made enough for the sequal to be made.

And what's the problem with that line?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Um, Sisko didn't die.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

GrahamKennedy wrote:Um, Sisko didn't die.
He 'joined the prophets' aka the Bajoran gods. Sounds like a fancy way of saying dead. And don't change the subject.
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

In fact, as I recall, Sisko became a god.

... yes, Star Trek is racist, the white people only managed to be distinguished and recognised, the black person achieved godhood. :P

-Hamlet
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:They do fly under the Korean radar in one part after EDI took damage.
Um, that's not stealth. Do you even know what stealth is?
The pilot's seat was for matinince and testing purpose.
Which is stupid. EDI is meant to be a combat aircraft, not a development workbed.
I'm sure EDI was only the first prototype for a series of future type of UAV. By putting it in a comparable aircraft it can prove when it's supirior to its human counterparts. There is still another advatage of UAVs. When they get shot down our men don't die.
If they merely wanted to test out the computer, they would be sticking it into an existing aircraft. You are suggesting they built an entirely new manned aircraft to test EDI... then planned to build a second entirely new aircraft for production?! This is something only a moron would do.

I mean, look at the F-22... it practically bankrupted the US air force. Can you imagine them saying "well we only need one of these as a test... now we gotta do a whole new aircraft for the actual missions.
And the carrier was in the Indian ocean I thought.
Not how I remember it, but maybe. Hardly fixes the problem though.
And as for the disobeying orders, the casualties in an allied country of Pakistan would have been too high
If you think that would lead the officers back home to say "you know, that's alright then" in a real military, then you should read up some on what the real military is like.
And Russia was asked by the US to shoot EDI down.
And then US planes shot the Russians down that were trying to do what the US asked them to do. That's the kind of thing that reeeeealy pisses a country off.
And what's the problem with that line?
Words fail me here. If you think the line "Tell me you love me, you pussy" is good dialogue... well. Takes all sorts I suppose.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Dakarne wrote:In fact, as I recall, Sisko became a god.

... yes, Star Trek is racist, the white people only managed to be distinguished and recognised, the black person achieved godhood. :P
He also said he would be back. Which sounds very much not like death to me! :)
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

GrahamKennedy wrote:He also said he would be back. Which sounds very much not like death to me! :)
Of course not. He just spends a hell of a long time having repeated card games (and losing) with a man with a long scarf who travels in a police box.

-Hamlet
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Actually I think EDI was a warplane and a testbed. Makes sense if it'll cut costs.

And his interface may not have worked in existing aircraft. It would be like sticking a USB 2.0 in a USB 1.0 system. It'd work, but not to it's fullest potential. EDI is stated to be the most advanced system of it's kind. It would make sense to build an aircraft that can maximize EDI's potential. As for the Moron thing, have you ever seen the way the US government works? If ignorince is bliss DC is heaven.

As for range, it looks like they're far more advanced then anything else. They may have superior range because of their advanced tech.

And the guys back home didn't have time to do anything. EDI went ahead and attacked, going nuts, and everyone was more worried about EDI attacking a Russian base. The Talons were the only pilots and planes capable of stopping EDI, and with everything else, I'd doubt they'd get rid of their two top pilots when tensions with the Koreans and Russians just skyrocketed. AndUnless those fighters had a remote override, which is pure idiocy on a manned warplane, the guys on the ship couldn't stop them or force them to do anything. They couldn't even stop their UCAV.

And the russians may be pissed but they also lost two of their best planes in a dogfight when they had the advantage. To start trouble against an enemy, because of an incident, where they proved their supiriority is in a word: stupid.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Hmm, mentioning Armageddon before has got me thinking... my list of the worst movies of recent times. In no particular order...

Armageddon
Stealth
Pluto Nash
Planet of the Apes remake
Speed 2
Battlefield Earth
Van Helsing
Pearl Harbor