What is your favourite ship from TOS/TMP?

The Original Series
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Either way. The excelsior is the top dog of the 23rd. And, better still it looks good!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

I love the refit Enterprise. I dunno, maybe it's something about how she's presented in the movies - she gets the best music, like in TMP, where there's an entire overture just to show off the awesome model they built.
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

Exclesior. But I also like the 2 Connies, Miranda, and Oberth. There isn't a TMP/TOS design I don't like.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Enkidu wrote:Exclesior. But I also like the 2 Connies, Miranda, and Oberth. There isn't a TMP/TOS design I don't like.
To be fair there were only so many ships to choose from. The Connies were the only Starfleet ships ever seen until the Reliant showed up.

Did you know? The original design for the Reliant/Miranda-class was upside doen from the current version, but somewhere along the line the design was flipped upside down(by accident).
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

really? The original design kinda seems alien then. I think it would fairly ugly like that...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, an upside-down Miranda would look damn ugly, I think.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

I always loved the disignes that had necels on the bottom.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

The death ray big cone thing. I forget what its called but I think it'd be cool if a future series did something more with the race that built that.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Doomsday Device?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

mmm... anti-protons...

Of course, Fed technology uses antimatter everyday to no great surprise, so... :roll:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Rochey wrote:Yeah, an upside-down Miranda would look damn ugly, I think.
Surely it would look exactly the same, it'd be just like looking at it from a different angle (eg an upside down one).
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Uh......yeah, I suppose so. But from the top view it would look much uglier.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

There must be some convention regarding the way ships orient themselves relative to each other, since there's no obvious reason in space that ships have to be oriented in any particular direction. Ships are shown "rightside-up" on screen, but there's really no physical difference if the ship is "upside-down;" the ship has artificial gravity and nothing would really change.

I've always thought the Excelsior/refit Connie had a certain stateliness that the more streamlined ships of the 24th century lacked. Later designs started to look more advanced, and generally cooler, but the movie era ships were classy.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

TOS/TMP ships had a style to them. TNG ships seem to lack that.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Well TNG ships always make me think of IKEA furniture with warp engines on the side. Where as TOS/TMP era ships make me think of Graceful swans or something poetic like that.