No votes

Total votes: 41
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Zombie Invasion

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Shotgun, pistol, machete.

Shotgun because it will make a nice oogy mess of their heads. Doesn't have the range of a rifle, but range isn't really all that necessary IMO.

Pistol for indoors, places where a shotgun is too big and unwieldy.

Machete for when you don't have time to reload, and also as a useful tool.

Definitely not having :

Flamethrower : doesn't kill zombies, certainly not quickly. And a flaming zombie wandering around is a potential disaster for you if you're indoors.

Grenades : Shrapnel or blast aren't going to do a thing to a zombie, and there's risk of hitting yourself if you don't throw them far enough.

Chainsaw : Not terrible practical as a weapon.

Machine Gun : Waste of ammo really. MGs are best for spraying a crowd, but spraying a crowd of zombies won't do much to most of them anyway.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Pistol for indoors, places where a shotgun is too big and unwieldy.
Shotgun + hacksaw. Problem solved.
Machete for when you don't have time to reload, and also as a useful tool.
It also means getting way too close to the buggers - you need to be able to stay at maximum range. You've also got a potential problem if they're a type that can infect simply by splashing blood on you.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

You don't always have a choice about being close, though. Ideally it's shotgun all the way, but if you run dry on bullets just as zombies lurch out of the door behind you, a machete would come in handy.

By the way, did people see this? Apparently the CDC have released an official plan of what to do in the case of a zombie uprising/invasion. Apparently they're just using it as a fun publicity grabbing example of how to prepare for disasters in general, but I think it's rather cool!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Shotgun, flamethrower and explosives.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

alexmann wrote:I'd much rather have a shotgun to defend myself with than a pistol
Then you'd be ignoring situational awareness. As I mentioned, even with a shottie you still have to be able to hit your target - this precludes cruiser shotguns for all but experienced CQC fighters. Now if you've got a handful of zombies pressing on you in, say, a 10' x 10' room, lining up a shot with that thing on your shoulder is going to be pretty tough... in fact, even with a revolver you'd probably want something shorter than a 5" barrel.
Captain Seafort wrote:My understanding is that the type of weapon most likely to be legally owned in the US is a handgun, probably a fairly small calibre revolver, for reasons of cost and ease of maintenance.
Depends on the area and the usage. In my state, for example, you won't find many rifles - because of the population density, you can't hunt with one here. In general, though, there are three main reasons for people to legally own firearms in the States (aside, of course, from private back-ups of law enforcement officials, or use in criminal activity.)
#1 - plinking/recreation/tournaments/etc.: in this case, you're dead on - most plinkers or range shooters would use a .22 RF or something similar for the cheapness of the ammo.
#2 - hunting: well, this could be anything from a varmint rifle to a .454 (or bigger) magnum 5-shooter revolver. .30-06 or .308 Win aren't considered uncommon for moderate/big game like elk, etc.
#3 - home/self-defense: in this case, the most likely suspect will be a 9mm Para handgun, though revolvers are still popular as well, and defense hadnguns are probably going to be found in more than singular instances in anything from .25 to .380 ACP, .45 ACP, or Fed 10mm.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sorry for the double, but BTW - machetes make bad weapons. A high-quality bolo or something similar would do OK, but a true machete's handles are usually onlu tenuously attached to the tang, and they'd tend to impact rather than cut. If I had to pick a knife for zombie-defense purposes, it'd have to be a kukri.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

The Hydrashok rounds for my Glock (9mm Para) basically explode inside the target. If the zombies in question die from brain trauma, that's 17 or so I could fell with one magazine.

I'd say a pistol is a fine option.

Also, I agree about the machete.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I wouldn't bank on zombies being susceptible to hydrostatic shock. Hell, a mindless undead killing machine can help you assume room temperature just fine even if he's going to die in five minutes from a cerebral hemmorhage from a gut shot.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Deepcrush wrote:Shotgun, flamethrower and explosives.
AA12 great for just about anything under under 25m.

Flamethrower for just torching because I can or because I need to keep the zombies from following.

Explosives because I never know when I need to break something.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:I wouldn't bank on zombies being susceptible to hydrostatic shock. Hell, a mindless undead killing machine can help you assume room temperature just fine even if he's going to die in five minutes from a cerebral hemmorhage from a gut shot.
That's why I mentioned brain trauma. Heads are pretty big targets at ranges less than 50 feet.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:A high-quality bolo or something similar would do OK
I think a 30,000 ton sapient tank would be a bit over overkill, don't you? :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

You wouldn't be saying that if you were under attack and that was what you had to defend yourself.
ImageImage
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Mikey wrote:Sorry for the double, but BTW - machetes make bad weapons. A high-quality bolo or something similar would do OK, but a true machete's handles are usually onlu tenuously attached to the tang, and they'd tend to impact rather than cut. If I had to pick a knife for zombie-defense purposes, it'd have to be a kukri.

The only machetes that I have run across tend to be cut from one sheet of steel with the scales being brass riveted on. Pretty substantial construction, and when sharpened with the correct bevel able to cut 1" thick living branches with ease.
By the by, if you notice that your cutting tool is becoming an impact tool, perhaps you should have sharpened it the last quiet moment that you had? I have to say kudos to the kukri, I have one that was made and used in Nepal, I love that thing.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Its only the moder machetes that have seperate handles to save money. The older ones or proper ones are solid.
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It's not a question of sharpening, it's a question of the steel used and the manner of construction as to how well the blade holds an edge - not whether it had one to begin with.
Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:A high-quality bolo or something similar would do OK
I think a 30,000 ton sapient tank would be a bit over overkill, don't you? :P
OK, normally I greatly respect your great pool of knowledge both mundane and fantastic - but WTF are you on about? I assume from your emoticon that you know what a bolo knife is, but the rest is lost on me.
as Bull offed Custer