Star Wars Sim OOC Discussion Thread

Moderator: BigJKU316

BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Star Wars Sim OOC Discussion Thread

Post by BigJKU316 »

Lighthawk wrote:Wow, the galaxy far far away is small.

Not a complaint mind, just surprising.
It is by design. You should all be bumping into one another in very short order so there is some conflict and drama in the game. Doubling the planets just doubles the number of things you have to manage each turn. There should be enough planets to keep people occupied but not so many it becomes a drag.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

BigJKU316 wrote:

It is by design. You should all be bumping into one another in very short order so there is some conflict and drama in the game. Doubling the planets just doubles the number of things you have to manage each turn. There should be enough planets to keep people occupied but not so many it becomes a drag.
Oh certainly, it's just a big difference from the Trek map. This is definitely more straight forward.

I assume the numbers next the the lines represent the travel time between worlds, yes?
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Lighthawk wrote:
BigJKU316 wrote:

Oh certainly, it's just a big difference from the Trek map. This is definitely more straight forward.

I assume the numbers next the the lines represent the travel time between worlds, yes?
Those are the distances. You can figure out how long travel takes for a given ship by dividing it by the hyperspeed rating for that ship.

A ship of 8 would cover a distance of 80 in 10 days.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

BigJKU316 wrote:Those are the distances. You can figure out how long travel takes for a given ship by dividing it by the hyperspeed rating for that ship.

A ship of 8 would cover a distance of 80 in 10 days.
Right, what I meant to say and totally failed at. Thanks
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Some new rules updates to clarify resource related penalties.
Military Grade Ore- Fairly common, though large builders of ships are likely to import this at some point to meet their needs it can be had from most planets. If you don't have enough ore, you can't build any new ships.

Tibanna Gas- Fairly uncommon. Most planets are able to create enough to maintain a modest fleet of ships but only a few are able to supply it in amounts sufficient for a true, galaxy spanning fleet. Use rises in wartime. If you run short of Tibanna the penalty is as follows. It is first used in the construction of starships. If you don't have enough to meet construction needs then you must curtail those programs. You then feed the ongoing needs of your fleet. Since Tibanna is used to basically superchage heavy guns the penalty is that your anti-capitol ship ratings drop by half the % you are short of your needs. If you are 50% short of your fleets needs then you would lose 25% of that firepower. Your fighters and anti-fighter ratings are unchanged.

Hypermatter- This is produced by most space fairing species in amounts sufficient to meet their needs. But in wartime usage will jump and many species would find themselves net importers if they are supporting too large a fleet for their resource base. If you don't produce enough then the penalty is that your speed is reduced by half the % you are short of your needs. If you are 50% short of your fleets needs then your top speeds drop 25% for that year. This impacts all ships in the fleet.
The reasoning behind these penalties is that they are somewhat in keeping with cannon and mostly because they are easy to apply and understand for both the GM and the player.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

As it was asked I will explain it here for everyone.

"Why is my troop expense so high/why do I need to have so many on my homeworld?"

The garrison requirement serves several functions for the game.

First it is a deterrent to raising taxes through the roof. The more you tax the more troops you need to maintain order and collect those taxes.

Secondly it forces you to defend core worlds of your empire where your income comes from so that someone else can't sort of blunder their way into doubling their income.

Third, and most importantly, it serves as a sort of stand in for all those boring expenses we ignored in the Trek sim. Your people would in reality want services. If you taxes at a rate of 35% a huge portion of that would go to services and infrastructure for the people rather than the military. Rather than have expenses for healthcare and other such things I elected to simply force you to place more troops on the more populated world, thus raising your expenses there.

You get something of actual tangible value in the sim. The sim gets stability of not having huge, undefended planets because someone made a mistake and forgot to defend it. And most importantly it keeps budgets in balance and not growing out of control.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

1) I love this sheet. Very nicely put together. Though its gonna take a while getting used to the huge numbers compared with the trek sims.

2) will you be open tomorrow for questions? :mrgreen:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Sooooooo, when does game play start?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

It is going now.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Just a note on a sheet error. It appears I forgot to pull the cost for building fighters to the front page. You can see your cost in cell L-46 on the ships and fighters page. That will get pulled over when you send in your first turn so account for it accordingly.

EDIT

Alternatively if you have already started filling stuff in you can send it to me as is and I will fix it in short order. It is a two second fix. Otherwise just subtract that cell from your total cash.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Pretty sure Tattoine isn't an aquatic world chief.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Tyyr wrote:Pretty sure Tattoine isn't an aquatic world chief.
Oops. Aquatic was the base since I started with Mon Cal on the top. Some of the minor non-film or major worlds could be well off. I did not look each and every one up. But that one should be a desert world. You should be able to just pull down on the tab and adjust it for your records. That part is not locked.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Question on trading
In the Trade Relationship boxes, there isn't a column labeled for the generic Trade Goods produced on our world. Should that be placed in the Other box?
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Actually, disregard the above on trading, I misunderstood the rules on trading I think.

To make sure I understand: The players don't actually have to do anything with the trade goods, our planet makes a certain amount and it represents an amount of money so long as we have a path to Corusant. So unlike the Trek sim trade isn't just a matter of saying "lets swap x amount of generic trade stuff" and then ignoring it for the rest of the game as it generates us a bit of extra money, we actually need to trade/buy based on our needs for the 3 prime building materials.

Have I got that right?
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Lighthawk wrote:Actually, disregard the above on trading, I misunderstood the rules on trading I think.

To make sure I understand: The players don't actually have to do anything with the trade goods, our planet makes a certain amount and it represents an amount of money so long as we have a path to Corusant. So unlike the Trek sim trade isn't just a matter of saying "lets swap x amount of generic trade stuff" and then ignoring it for the rest of the game as it generates us a bit of extra money, we actually need to trade/buy based on our needs for the 3 prime building materials.

Have I got that right?
Yes. Everyone used all their trade every turn anyway for the most part. This just stops all the PM's about increasing trade 10,000 units this turn and so on. Basically you will get trade income unless the planet is blockaded or you get cornered all by yourself in part of the map.